FreeBsd Sendmail is rejecting random messages

FreeBsd Sendmail is rejecting random messages

Post by Jon Kenoy » Wed, 31 Jul 2002 08:54:15

Setup
Freebsd 4.4
Latest Sendmail port

The FreeBsd box acts as a spamfilter relay running MIMEDefang and spam
assassin that forwards the E-mail to our exchange box.

Problem
We do not recieve e-mail from some random senders.  Here is the sample
error message that the sender recieves->
reply: read error from
mail.domain.com.

I turned on logging in sendmail to lvl 14.  We are seeing a lot of
[xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx] did not issue MAIL/EXPN/VRFY/ETRN
which I think is related.  I have searched all the docs and the reason
they give for this error does not seem to solve this problem.

Help we are losing valuable e-mail and the only other option is to
remove the spam filter and go back to being bombarded!

Post by David F. Skol » Wed, 31 Jul 2002 23:54:07

> The FreeBsd box acts as a spamfilter relay running MIMEDefang and spam
> assassin that forwards the E-mail to our exchange box.
> Problem
> We do not recieve e-mail from some random senders.  Here is the sample
> error message that the sender recieves->
> reply: read error from
> mail.domain.com.

I bet it happens on large messages.  The sending end may be timing out.
You want to limit your spam scanning to small (let's say < 64kB messages)
because spam is almost always small, and SpamAssassin is horribly slow
on large messages.

Could you post more detailed logs, especially the "size=xxxx" lines from
Sendmail?

--
David.

Post by Jon Kenoy » Thu, 01 Aug 2002 08:22:06

> > The FreeBsd box acts as a spamfilter relay running MIMEDefang and spam
> > assassin that forwards the E-mail to our exchange box.

> > Problem
> > We do not recieve e-mail from some random senders.  Here is the sample
> > error message that the sender recieves->
> > reply: read error from
> > mail.domain.com.

> I bet it happens on large messages.  The sending end may be timing out.
> You want to limit your spam scanning to small (let's say < 64kB messages)
> because spam is almost always small, and SpamAssassin is horribly slow
> on large messages.

> Could you post more detailed logs, especially the "size=xxxx" lines from
> Sendmail?

Actually it turned out that the ISP DNS entry was misconfigured (they
had a ? character in the DNS record for some reason.)  I can only
assume the other rejected IP's I see are like-wise.  Since I am
somewhat of a novice at all this I assumed the problem was our end.

FreeBsd Sendmail is rejecting random messages

Post by Lou Mora » Sat, 03 Aug 2002 12:51:33

SNIP

Quote:> Since I am
> somewhat of a novice at all this I assumed the problem was our end.

Humility is a huge asset in IT.  Try to keep the idea in your head that
it might be _your_ fault.  Just becuase you don't know everything _does
not_ mean everyone else _does_!  And think of the valuable lessons you
will earn along the way!

1. FreeBSD 3.2 and SENDMAIL 8.9.3 rejected mail messages!

It seems that some mail messages are being rejected because the domain's
list.justsaywow.com and hq.brain.com are not defined in the DNS. And
sendmail rules reject these messages because of that. I was told that I can
put the feature "accept_unresovable_domains" in the sendmail.mc and then
sendmail will not reject messages. The problem, is that I don't have a
sendmail.mc, I am using FreeBSD 3.2 and sendmail 8.9.3, where do I set up
this feature "accept_unresovable_domains", which file? Thanks in advance.

2. Upgraded to 8.1.2

3. Sendmail 8.9.3 rejects mail for some addresses, on a FreeBSD 3.20

4. Office SR-1 Update

5. I am getting "Your password was rejected" for Virtual Domain users

6. SEGA GT ON XBOX LVE!!

7. Client e_mail+FreeBSD+SendMail+cucipop: messages are not remained and deleted

8. Does anybody used .NET CF on Unitech WinCE3.0?

9. Sendmail not receiving messages on FreeBSD 4.5

10. I am not receiving mail and am unable to send mail,

11. I am not receiving mail and am unable to send mail

12. sendmail: rejecting new messages

13. sendmail is rejecting messages based on size