POP mail client problem - Help Please

Post by dmalcol » Wed, 24 Jan 2001 23:58:15

I have a POP3 client who can't get into his account.

   * His mail client keeps insisting that he is already logged in.
   * I have tried starting his account from scratch with another login
     name and it had the same problems.
   * I used my Outlook Express client to masquerade as him and
     experienced the same problem so what ever is causing the problem is
     probably on the server.
   * Other users work fine.

I finally had this client set up a MAPI connection and it works just
fine, but slow (he is connected via a shared ISDN link).  The system is
Slackware Linux running the 2.2.17 kernel, and the Sendmail version is
8.9.3.

POP mail client problem - Help Please

Post by Kenneth Port » Thu, 25 Jan 2001 15:01:15

Quote:>I have a POP3 client who can't get into his account.

Have you tried telnet'ing to the POP3 port and manually logging in?

Quote:>The system is Slackware Linux running the 2.2.17 kernel, and the
>Sendmail version is 8.9.3. >

But what POP server is it? Find that out and ask on the support mailing
list for that server.

Post by dmalcol » Fri, 26 Jan 2001 00:53:47

> >I have a POP3 client who can't get into his account.

> Have you tried telnet'ing to the POP3 port and manually logging in?

> >The system is Slackware Linux running the 2.2.17 kernel, and the
> >Sendmail version is 8.9.3. >

> But what POP server is it? Find that out and ask on the support mailing
> list for that server.

Running  "POP3 Server (Version 1.005l)" .
I have same problem logging the client in directly through the POP3
server.  I can log him in if there are no messages.  As soon as a message
is present, I get the following from the POP3 server:

-ERR being read already /usr/spool/mail/nl-paul

I will also post to a POP3 forum if I can find one.  Thanks.

Dan

POP mail client problem - Help Please

Post by Kenneth Port » Fri, 26 Jan 2001 12:52:27

Quote:>> But what POP server is it? Find that out and ask on the support mailing
>> list for that server.

>Running  "POP3 Server (Version 1.005l)" .

I'm not familiar with Slackware. You'll need to figure out where they got
the POP3 server from. Check their website first. Possibilities include the
UW suite. It's not qpopper, as its version number would be either 2.53 or
3.xxx (3.1.2 is the latest).

Note that there's no POP3 newsgroup. The next-best thing would be
comp.mail.misc or comp.mail.imap. (Many IMAP servers come with a POP3
server, and UW is one of these.)

Post by Jem Berke » Fri, 26 Jan 2001 13:26:08

Quote:> I have a POP3 client who can't get into his account.

>    * His mail client keeps insisting that he is already logged in.
>    * I have tried starting his account from scratch with another login
>      name and it had the same problems.
>    * I used my Outlook Express client to masquerade as him and
>      experienced the same problem so what ever is causing the problem is
>      probably on the server.
>    * Other users work fine.

Try my windows jbmail client -- many have told me it's very useful for
debugging mail problems. It will return exact server error codes, and
requires no setup.

http://www.pc-tools.net/win32/trialware/jbmail.html

POP mail client problem - Help Please

Post by Kenneth Port » Sat, 27 Jan 2001 12:09:43

Quote:>I don't have an address on where to get the qpopper software off
>hand.  It should be easy to find.  I believe it is written by the
>same people who write the Eudora software.

http://www.qpopper.org. Scroll to the bottom to get to the link for the
free version 3.1. Note that there is a support mailing list for qpopper.
Subscription info is on the web page.

POP mail client problem - Help Please

Post by Cedo Vicent » Sun, 28 Jan 2001 10:07:30

Hi,

Make sure there is not .lock file in /var/mail for that user.

Cedo

> I have a POP3 client who can't get into his account.

>    * His mail client keeps insisting that he is already logged in.
>    * I have tried starting his account from scratch with another login
>      name and it had the same problems.
>    * I used my Outlook Express client to masquerade as him and
>      experienced the same problem so what ever is causing the problem is
>      probably on the server.
>    * Other users work fine.

> I finally had this client set up a MAPI connection and it works just
> fine, but slow (he is connected via a shared ISDN link).  The system is
> Slackware Linux running the 2.2.17 kernel, and the Sendmail version is
> 8.9.3.

1. Problems reading mail on POP mail client (Maybe a setup problem?)

        I am having problems reading mail from a POP3 mail server.

        The server is a DEC 3000/500 OSF/1 V1.3
        The client is a NT system.

        Using any of the WINSOCK POP/SMTP clients,  I am able to
        send mail and successfully logon to the POP3 mail server.
        The server reports no new mail although there is.

        The POP database is located in /usr/spool/pop/POP and
        my new mail arrives via SMTP in /usr/spool/mail/xxxxx.

        My entry in the pop database specifies the relative directory
        ../mail .   I was assuming I could read my SMTP incomming mail
        via POP.

        Does POP incomming mail show up in a different spot.  If so
        what tricks do I need to perform to have a unified mail box
        (POP/SMTP) readable or does POP mail need to be addressed
        differently than SMTP mail.

        Can anyone help?

        Thanks,
        Ira Chavis

2. What's with Palmpower.com?

3. HELP !! Problems delivering mails to POP client

4. bootp relay

5. *PLEASE HELP* Problem with Internet Mail & Winsock *PLEASE HELP*

6. ATI video install problems

7. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE

8. Announcement: Minix-386vm 1.6.25.1 available

9. POP Before SMTP Problem - Please Help!

10. POP problem with sendmail, please help!

11. Please resend responses to ''Using mh as a POP client''

12. POP before SMTP, Solution for Mail Client Problem

13. Please help a beginner in sendmail (I can 't send mail using a client)