Setting "From:", "From " and reverse_name

Setting "From:", "From " and reverse_name

Post by Walter Hofma » Tue, 18 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Hi,

I'm using mutt 1.0.

1) I'm looking for a way to set the From-Address depending on where the
message was sent to. However, I don't want to copy the To: address to
the From: line unaltered, more like if the message was sent to

ideas how to achieve this?

2) Once this works I need to make sure that the SMTP_From address is the
same as the one in the header. Right now I'm using "sendmail -f..." to
set it. How can I have this address automatically set to the one in the
header?

Thanks for your help!

Walter

Post by Walter Hofma » Thu, 20 Jan 2000 04:00:00

>Hi,

>I'm using mutt 1.0.

>1) I'm looking for a way to set the From-Address depending on where the
>message was sent to. However, I don't want to copy the To: address to
>the From: line unaltered, more like if the message was sent to

>ideas how to achieve this?

>2) Once this works I need to make sure that the SMTP_From address is the
>same as the one in the header. Right now I'm using "sendmail -f..." to
>set it. How can I have this address automatically set to the one in the
>header?

Answering my own question (as nobody else did bother to...) I wrote a
script which copies the From:-Adresss to the sendmail command line. It
is supposed to be used as 'set sendmail="bin/correct-from"'.  I have
included it in case so has the same problem. You need formail (comes
with procmail) installed and a directory called "Mail" below you home
directory if you want to use the script unchanged.

Comments welcome.

Walter

#!/bin/bash

FILE=`date "+${HOME}/Mail/tempmail-$$-%Y%m%d%H%M%S.gz"`

cat >$FILE

.*\)\?$/\2/1'`

/usr/lib/sendmail -oem -oi -f$FROM $* <$FILE

STATUS=$?

rm $FILE

exit $STATUS

Post by Sitaram Chamar » Wed, 26 Jan 2000 04:00:00

>1) I'm looking for a way to set the From-Address depending on where the
>message was sent to. However, I don't want to copy the To: address to
>the From: line unaltered, more like if the message was sent to

>ideas how to achieve this?

This should be easy with the combination of "set alternates" and
"set reverse_name".

Quote:>2) Once this works I need to make sure that the SMTP_From address is the
>same as the one in the header. Right now I'm using "sendmail -f..." to
>set it. How can I have this address automatically set to the one in the
>header?

Hmmm.... isn't this what happens anyway?  I dont know about this
one!

Post by Thomas Roessl » Wed, 26 Jan 2000 04:00:00

>Hmmm.... isn't this what happens anyway?  I dont know about this
>one!

It happens with the latest unstable code, when you have set the
envelope_from option.

--
http://www.guug.de/~roessler/

Post by Walter Hofma » Thu, 27 Jan 2000 04:00:00

>>1) I'm looking for a way to set the From-Address depending on where the
>>message was sent to. However, I don't want to copy the To: address to
>>the From: line unaltered, more like if the message was sent to

>>ideas how to achieve this?

>This should be easy with the combination of "set alternates" and
>"set reverse_name".

This will just copy the To address to the From address, but not alter it
the way I want.

Quote:>>2) Once this works I need to make sure that the SMTP_From address is the
>>same as the one in the header. Right now I'm using "sendmail -f..." to
>>set it. How can I have this address automatically set to the one in the
>>header?

>Hmmm.... isn't this what happens anyway?  I dont know about this
>one!

No.

Walter Hofmann

1. Pine 4.31, "Setup", "Config", ..., "?" gives "Illegal instruction"

Start PINE.
"S" for "Setup".
"C" for "Config".

Scroll down to "try-alternative-authentication-driver-first, and press
"?"
Now, scroll down TWO more to "use-subshell-for-suspend" and try "?"
Now... scroll up ONE to "use-current-dir" and try "?"

Bang.

You're back to the shell. Comments?

2. portable c-64 w/ 2 printers, modem, sw

3. "@" in outgoing address changing to "-" or "#"

4. Upgrading my A3000

5. outlook Express "View" ""COLUMNS""

6. KRAP is at it in the IETF

7. Setting a mailbox to show "To" rather than "From"

8. multiple axis on plots ?

9. Setting a mailbox to show "to" rather than "from"

10. Q: Eudora Pro 3.1 with "Attach" & "Plug-In Settings"...

11. Set "From" and "Reply-To" fields: how to?

12. "ISO-8859-1" character set "garbage"

13. Berkely "Mail" /set "From: "