Hotmail and Outlook Crashing

Post by Rob Davie » Sun, 13 Apr 2003 02:24:31

Hi,..I wonder if anyone ccan help with this problem.
I use Hotmail and Outlook Express 6 on Microsoft XP and
it seems that very frequently, the item I am writing
crashes, an error report appears for Microsoft and then
my Hotmail, Outlook closes, all written work is lost.
This, I think happens when I use the 'return' button on
my keyboard...but I am not absolutely certain that this
is the problem. I have sent the error report to
Microsoft...dozens of times...sometimes six in a
day....it drives me crazy. The only option I have is to
create my mail in 'notepad' and then transfer...but even
then..while trying to space my paragraphs...it still
crashes..but at least I keep my original letter. I would
be most grateful if anyone knows of a 'fix'for this..
Hotmail suggest the problem might be that my mouse is not
configured???? I don't know how this is related...the
mouse works fine, my keyboard works fine...but my mail
clients crash without fail on most letters. I know
someone else who has this problem too..so I would be,
again, very thankful for any suggestions.
Regards and Thanks in advance..Rob Davies.

Hotmail and Outlook Crashing

Post by Edna Pear » Sun, 13 Apr 2003 04:46:43

I am having a similar problem, not using Hotmail.  In my case, OE often
crashes when I am typing a "reply," especially, when I try to reply
line-by-line, in both e-mail and newsgroup messages.

This problem is why I have logged on this ng today.  I hope we get some
answers, Rob.

ep

Quote:> Hi,..I wonder if anyone ccan help with this problem.
> I use Hotmail and Outlook Express 6 on Microsoft XP and
> it seems that very frequently, the item I am writing
> crashes, an error report appears for Microsoft and then
> my Hotmail, Outlook closes, all written work is lost.
> This, I think happens when I use the 'return' button on
> my keyboard...but I am not absolutely certain that this
> is the problem. I have sent the error report to
> Microsoft...dozens of times...sometimes six in a
> day....it drives me crazy. The only option I have is to
> create my mail in 'notepad' and then transfer...but even
> then..while trying to space my paragraphs...it still
> crashes..but at least I keep my original letter. I would
> be most grateful if anyone knows of a 'fix'for this..
> Hotmail suggest the problem might be that my mouse is not
> configured???? I don't know how this is related...the
> mouse works fine, my keyboard works fine...but my mail
> clients crash without fail on most letters. I know
> someone else who has this problem too..so I would be,
> again, very thankful for any suggestions.
> Regards and Thanks in advance..Rob Davies.

Hotmail and Outlook Crashing

Post by Hal Hostetler [MVP DTS » Sun, 13 Apr 2003 09:39:28

There may finally be a fix for this problem!  If this problem started
happening after an IE6/OE6 security update:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=810847
MS03-004: February, 2003, Cumulative Patch for Internet Explorer

... and involves MSIMN.EXE and MSHTML.DLL, its due to an updated MSHTML.DLL
(6.00.2800.1143) supplied by the above patch.  A newer version of this file
is now available from Microsoft:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=816506
The removeNode() Function in a Script Call May Cause an Access Violation in
Mshtml.dll

Download the update here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=878c5cd5-0a5...
Internet Explorer 6 SP1 Update: The removeNode() Function in a Script Call
May Cause an Access Violation in Mshtml.dll

Several people I know had these random crashes in MSHTML.DLL and have not
had the problem come back after instaling the newer version
(6.00.2800.1173).

Hal

KVOA Television, Tucson, AZ.   NBC   Channel 4
Got Blues? - www.badnewsbluesband.com