>>> SMTP servers and their implimentations of RFC 821 <<<

>>> SMTP servers and their implimentations of RFC 821 <<<

Post by DrN » Wed, 21 Feb 1996 04:00:00

Please help me,

I am in interested in the ways that ALL SMTP servers such as sendmail,
smail etc and all smtp servers on non-unix platforms handle incoming
requests on port 25.
Some require "helo", some "helo ip.ip.ip.ip" some do not require helo.
Some require vrfy etc.
I want to know how EVERY single server copes with it and I would much
appreciate help from the Internet community.

Thanx in advance, Ben.

Post by Michael Sinatr » Thu, 22 Feb 1996 04:00:00

> I am in interested in the ways that ALL SMTP servers such as sendmail,
> smail etc and all smtp servers on non-unix platforms handle incoming
> requests on port 25.
> Some require "helo", some "helo ip.ip.ip.ip" some do not require helo.
> Some require vrfy etc.
> I want to know how EVERY single server copes with it and I would much
> appreciate help from the Internet community.

Since most of this behavior is controlled through configuration files,
knowing how EVERY single server handles these situations would mean you
would literally have to know how *EVERY* server (box) (on the entire
network) that happens to be running an SMTP server, behaves.  I am not
sure exactly how many servers this encompasses, but I assume it is quite
a large number.  Even so, most sysadmins are unwilling to give out such
information for obvious security reasons.  If you are writing your own
SMTP, and you want to know what the standards are, check out RFC 821.
In that case, the important thing is that your SMTP adhere to RFC 821.

Mike

1. ISP <<UUCP>> linux <<smtp>> mailhost

I'm having problems with the above setup.  I'm using sendmail 8.8.4 and
Redhat 4.1.  I can mail from the linux to the mailhost by internet form:

and it works but the incoming mail from the isp doesn't get delivered here
is the errors sendmail gives:
Running LAB02236 (sequence 3 of 6)
pemberton!felix.teclink.net!bgates... pemberton: Name server timeout
pemberton!felix.teclink.net!bgates... Transient parse error -- message
queued fo
r future delivery

Running LAB02235 (sequence 4 of 6)
pemberton!Venus.mcs.net!bgates... pemberton: Name server timeout
pemberton!Venus.mcs.net!bgates... Transient parse error -- message queued
for fu
ture delivery

Running LAB02179 (sequence 5 of 6)
pemberton!matthew... pemberton: Name server timeout
pemberton!matthew... Transient parse error -- message queued for future
delivery

pemberton is the smartmailer or ISPs server.  It doesn't seem to be
rewriting the mail to internet form?

Please help
Matthew

2. traceroute for QNX 4 source

3. <<>> COMPUTER SOFTWARE / HARDWARE <<>>

4. Question: How can I print the Global Address List in Outlook??

5. <<<<***FREE MOTOROLA PAGERS***>>>>

6. My Ai Bot

7. <<>> COMPUTER SOFTWARE / HARDWARE <<>>

8. Opportuniies in Discrete Event Object Oriented Simulation

9. >>>>TIMESTAMP IN PINE<<<<

10. <<>> COMPUTER SOFTWARE / HARDWARE <<>>

11. >>> F R E E <<<