Sendmail 8.6.8 mailbox corruption

Post by ron na » Sat, 17 Sep 1994 03:54:17

I'm running Sendmail 8.6.8 on Solaris 2.3 (patched to 101318-54) and
keep seeing users with corrupted mailboxes.  It appears that lockf
is failing.  This often occures during heavy usage times (> 100 users).

Examining the mailboxes, what I see is that part or all of the header
of the first mail message is missing.  Has anyone else seen this?
Is there a workaround?

--
             ,--, | Ron Nash      San Diego State University

   ,;`( )__, )  ~ |
  //  //   '--;   | Gin-N-Tonic   endurance horse
  '   \     |     | Luv on Fire   trusty trail horse

Post by Christophe Wolfhug » Sat, 17 Sep 1994 18:21:33

>I'm running Sendmail 8.6.8 on Solaris 2.3 (patched to 101318-54) and
>keep seeing users with corrupted mailboxes.  It appears that lockf
>is failing.  This often occures during heavy usage times (> 100 users).

This is not a Sendmail issue. Sendmail does not touch the mailboxes, but
the local delivery agent does.  Check your local delivery agent against
Solhahahahris bugs as well as the flags you are using in your sendmail.cf,
if they are wrong they might give strange results (more likely bounces).

--

Post by ron na » Mon, 19 Sep 1994 16:45:55

: >I'm running Sendmail 8.6.8 on Solaris 2.3 (patched to 101318-54) and
: >keep seeing users with corrupted mailboxes.  It appears that lockf
: >is failing.  This often occures during heavy usage times (> 100 users).

: This is not a Sendmail issue. Sendmail does not touch the mailboxes, but
: the local delivery agent does.  Check your local delivery agent against
: Solhahahahris bugs as well as the flags you are using in your sendmail.cf,
: if they are wrong they might give strange results (more likely bounces).

I stand corrected.  Users seeing this are often using "/usr/ucb/mail" to
read their mail.  The delivery agent is the Solaris /bin/mail.  I have
a bug report with Sun, but no response so far.  I am interested in any
work arounds or information from others seeing this problem.

--
             ,--, | Ron Nash      San Diego State University

   ,;`( )__, )  ~ |
  //  //   '--;   | Gin-N-Tonic   endurance horse
  '   \     |     | Luv on Fire   trusty trail horse

1. mbx mailbox corruption and quotas?

Back in Dec. I posted some messages about getting dmail and procmail
to work together to deliver to MBX mailboxes in ~/INBOX. I've since
gotten that working but have recently notice that I've been getting
some mailbox corruption in user's mailboxes. My question is, is dmail
quota safe when delivering to mbx mailboxes?

On the imap client end, users who get corrupt mailboxes are greeted
with this message when trying to login:

   IMAP protocol error: command unrecognized: "SEARCH ERRFLG = 2"
   Unknown on line 0

   Command unrecognized:  "SEARCH ERRFLG = 2"
   Unknown on line 0

On the server side, running pine as the user results in an error
message about bad UID's in the mailbox. Pine tries to repair the
mailbox, but is unable. Examining ~/INBOX directly reveals a ^M at the
end of each line.

The common thread for these users is that all are at or beyond their
soft quota limit (100M). This makes me suspect that our problem is
quota related. Should dmail be able to correctly handle quotas? If a
message is being written to a mbx mailbox and the hard quota is
reached in mid-message write, will the the integrity of the mailbox be
preserved? Are there non-quota scneraios in which mailbox corruption
can occur? (Perhaps I have something misconfigured.)

I did find a post to this newsgroup from 2001-09-26 with a perl script
that can fix mbx corruption (Subject: Re: Corrupt mbx mailbox: any
fix?). It worked, but I'd like to find out what's causing this problem
rather than picking up the pieces after it occurs.

Relevant info: Red Hat 7.3, ext3 filesystem, dmail v2002.
--

Marc Wallman
North Dakota State University

2. WANTED:type 5 keyboard

3. Mailbox corruption

4. FS: Sun, Sun, Sun

5. Eudora: continuous mailbox corruption

6. static compiling bind 8.2.2 P5 on linux

7. Mailbox Corruption

8. Voice problems with USR 33.6

9. Mailbox corruption

10. Sendmail/Pine User Mail Corruption Message

11. Bizarre looping/corruption problems in sendmail 5.54

12. intermittant message corruption between sendmail and cc:Mail SMTP gateway