uw-imap, mbx format and pop3...

Post by Anthony Hinsinge » Fri, 27 Jun 2003 06:47:27

Hello,
I've set up an imap server using uw-imap.
I got a lot of mailbox lock problem (when expunge in imap) with the "unix"
mailbox format, so i decided to use mbx format
and now it rocks with imap access :)

I let procmail deliver to an unix /var/spool/mail/USERNAME mailbox, and
c-client correctly copy message to ~/INBOX mbx mailbox.

But I've a new problem.
when I access to the account using uw pop3 deamon (some users want it),
there is some very strange effect when deleting message :s
sometimes message are not delete .. sometimes it delete another one ....

I'm using the c-client API to delete message, and i use "uid" flag to mark
messages has \\Delete. May be  it can be the problem ?? (uid seems to be the
same has msg number with pop3)
does anyone has an idea ? is there knows bug using mbx with pop3 (I imagine
c-client "layer" is accessing to the box with imap or pop)

Thanks

Anthony

uw-imap, mbx format and pop3...

Post by Mark Crispi » Fri, 27 Jun 2003 08:29:43

I don't know if this is relevant to your problem or not, but "delete" in
POP3 does not mean the same thing as "mark as deleted" in IMAP.

In IMAP, messages get a deleted flag applied to them.  At some later
point, perhaps in another session, an expunge operation permanently
removes the message.

In POP3, "delete" means "note in this session that the message is to be
expunged from the mailbox when a QUIT command is performed; and if the
session terminates without a QUIT command, forget about all these
deletes."

Messages which are deleted via IMAP do not show up in POP3, even if they
have not been expunged.

-- Mark --

http://staff.washington.edu/mrc
Si vis pacem, para bellum.

1. UW Imap mailbox to mbx format

I've got my imap-2000 installed and functioning, but now I've come to the
realization, that the mailbox file format just isn't going to cut it for our
current needs.  Right now I have sendmail dropping mail into the mailspool
directory, and the mail is being moved to the users home directory via the
mbox driver.  I've been reading the docs, and I came across the line in
there about how the mbox function will only work for the unix  mailbox
format.

Is there any way to have the mail transferred to the users home directory
and converted into mbx format so that users can share the accounts properly,
without moving away from sendmail?

Thanks,

Kevin Haldeman

2. Web presentation problem with mail50.ntf template

3. IMAP-UW MBX file format

4. GRX20 in Windows 3.1-DOS-Box

5. UW-IMAP spool to mbx INBOX

6. Change SMTP Port?

7. {pop.provider.com/service=pop3/user=myname} in UW-IMAP

8. Trust Relationship Problem

9. UW IMAPD: MBX format & file location question (on RH 6.1)

10. UW-IMAPD Subfolders with MBX-format

11. Methods+Time for Convertion of existing UW IMAP mailbox to Cyrus IMAP format

12. UW Imap problems (4.7a) (switch to mbx?)

13. Using mbx inboxes with UW IMAP