Internet Mail keeping "Older" settings.

Post by Todd Barlo » Tue, 24 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Hello,

I have a number of users who use IM for Win95 and have problems in which
they get a "Unknown TCP/IP" error.  In the details we come to find that
they have mispelled their email address.  We change it and try it again.
The same thing.

We comb through all their settings in IM for the mispelling, and it is
nowhere.  We even do a search through the Registry and come up blank. It's
not there.

We check the logs on our SMTP server and it reflects again, the incorrect
address!  But, it's correct in the program!

Has anyone ever seen this before?

TIA!

Internet Mail keeping "Older" settings.

Post by Michael Santove » Tue, 24 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Is this happening just on sending mail?  Sounds like that since you mention
SMTP.  The e-mail address is not critical to sending mail, but the Computer
Name is.

You should check Control Panel, Network, Identification, Computer Name.
Internet Mail sends this to the SMTP server during logon (on the HELO or
EHLO command).  The use of special characters in this field can cause
problems.  Also, using a name of any of your ISP's servers here can cause
problems.  This field is supposed to be then name of your PC.  An alternate
source of this logon information is Control Panel, Network, TCP/IP,
Properties, DNS Configuration, Host & Domain.  Normally, for a Dial-up
Connection, the DNS should be disabled here and any needed settings placed
in the DUN connectoid (My Computer, Dial-up Networking, right-click on the
connectoid, Properties, Server Type, TCP/IP Settings).  Control Panel,
Network settings are intended for LAN connections, but will override DUN
settings.

You may want to try recording an smtp.log which will show more details
about outgoing mail.

See the article:
How to Enable and Interpret the Smtp.log File
http://www.microsoft.com/kb/articles/q155/4/55.htm

For additional information, see:
RFC 821 defines SMTP commands and error codes
http://info.internet.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc/files/rfc821.txt

To simplify logging, save the following text into plain text files with the
indicated *.REG file names.  You can do that by a copy/paste into Notepad,
and save from there.  "REGEDIT4" is the first line of each file.

REGEDIT4
; SMTPLOG.REG - Turns On recording SMTP (sending) Mail server
; activity for Microsoft Internet Mail program
; Creates/Appends file SMTP.LOG in the Mail directory
:
; How to Enable and Interpret the Smtp.log File
; http://www.microsoft.com/kb/articles/q155/4/55.htm
;
; The Mail program must be started after double-clicking this
; *.REG file for it to take effect.
;
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Mail and News\Mail]
"Log SMTP (0/1)"=dword:00000001

REGEDIT4
; SMTPXLOG.REG - Turns Off recording SMTP (sending) Mail server
; activity for Microsoft Internet Mail program
;
; The Mail program must be started after double-clicking this
; *.REG file for it to take effect.
;
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Mail and News\Mail]
"Log SMTP (0/1)"=dword:00000000