How to direct mail based on domain to different queue dir?

How to direct mail based on domain to different queue dir?

Post by Jai » Thu, 30 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Hi,
I am trying to configure a sendmail release 8 server to deliver mail it
receives with a recipients domain name that it will backup MX for, and have
it placed into a separate queue directory for later manual deliver by using
the ETRN command.
I have looked for the past 3 days and have not been able to find any decent
information for a solution to this problem.

If someone could point me to some info located on the net, or has any
idea's, I would be ever so grateful.

Regards,
Jai.

Post by Brad Knowl » Thu, 30 Jul 1998 04:00:00

> I am trying to configure a sendmail release 8 server to deliver mail it
> receives with a recipients domain name that it will backup MX for, and have
> it placed into a separate queue directory for later manual deliver by using
> the ETRN command.

    This is not an inherent feature of sendmail.  If you want it to do
that, you're going to have quite a bit of sendmail rewrite rules hacking
to get it to happen.

    In fact, if you want it to be used with ETRN, putting it in a separate
subdirectory won't work, because the daemon knows about one and only one
queue directory -- /var/spool/mqueue (or whatever it's called on your
OS).  Putting stuff in a separate queue would make it totally invisible to
the sendmail daemon.

    It shouldn't be necessary to put these messages in a separate queue.
With a slight amount of work, you can put those domains for which you
provide backup MX and mail queueing (via ETRN) into a mailertable that
selects a different version of the SMTP delivery agent (one that is marked
as "Expensive"), and then you make sure that you don't deliver to
expensive agents by default.

    I believe that this is addressed in the sendmail FAQ at
<http://www.sendmail.org/faq/>

--

 <http://www.shub-internet.org/brad/>
 <http://wwwkeys.pgp.net:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xE38CCEF1>

Post by Andre » Fri, 31 Jul 1998 04:00:00

>     This is not an inherent feature of sendmail.  If you want it to do
> that, you're going to have quite a bit of sendmail rewrite rules hacking
> to get it to happen.

What I'd really like to see is the ability to adjust ownership of queued
mail based on destination domain.  We queue mail for a number of domains
on our secondary mail server, and I'm trying to figure out a way to apply
quotas based on domain.  Ownership based on domain could do this.

Has anyone figured out how to do that?  Or some other method of putting an
upper limit on queue size on a secondary MX?

--

Sysadmin, Insync Internet Services |          --Eric Cartman
Houston, Texas, USA                |

1. Different queue dirs for different recipient domains?

Hi,

What would be the best way of having mail addressed to different domains
being queued in separate queue directories? (Assuming sendmail is
configured to hold mail for expensive mailers.)

Example:

etc.

The set-up should work for a small number of domains. All other domains
should be treated as per usual.I can see two ways of doing this:

1) Have separate copies of sendmail running, one for each domain, bound to
specific virtual IP interfaces. Point the MX records for the domains to
the appropriate IP number.

2) Have sendmail resolve mail to the domains to a new mailer (via
mailertable). Write this mailer so that it re-invokes sendmail with a -oQ
flag indicating what queue dir to queue in. Only problem with this
approach is the overhead of invoking sendmail for each received mail.

Any pointers would be appreciated,

   --Olof

--

CLEAR Net, CLEAR Communications Ltd, Auckland, New Zealand.

2. Smart Card Resource Manager

3. Using different queue directories for different domains

4. su problems under linux.

5. re-directing mails based on from domain

6. Mp3 or WAV?

7. putting mail in a different locations based on domain

8. Memory for Sun 3/50??

9. send mail to different relays based on domain names

10. Disable and Queue mail to different domain using SendMail

11. Sending to Different Hosts based on domain names

12. Help! different domains based on user

13. receiving mail on different mailbox for different domains