Eudora 5.0bxx: Messages "Received in Error" and left on server

Eudora 5.0bxx: Messages "Received in Error" and left on server

Post by del » Sun, 03 Sep 2000 01:23:26

There is a long-standing problem in Eudora with respect to messages
"received in error" but not singled out for attention.  The problem
persists in Eudora 5.0b17 and has existed for at least a couple of
years.

8/25/2000:

Subject: Eudora 5.0b10: Messages "Received in Error" and left on server

I use Eudora heavily, and have for several years.  I am currently
running Eudora 5.0b10 on a G3 Powerbook (292mhz/320mb/6GB) under MacOS
9.0.4.

For many months now I have have been increasingly frustrated by Eudora's
sluggishness and memory consumption.  I have now, I believe, tracked
down a possible source of some of these problems, which I have attempted
to describe in the following paragraphs:

When Eudora receives a message that it considers to be "in error" it
flags that situation by marking the message with a red 'x' in the status
column of the mailbox in which the message is stored (after incoming
message filtering).  The message is also flagged as incomplete ("...the
whole message was not fetched") in the message size column and as not
deleted from the server ("the message is on the server") in the server
status column.  [Of course, one knows these things only if the
appropriate columns have been selected for mailbox display.]

Despite the setting, Settings:Getting Attention:Open Incoming Message in
Error, such messages are not opened or otherwise reported by Eudora.
They are visible within their own mailbox, but invisible otherwise.  If
one opens such a message, Eudora may -- in rare instances -- suggest
remedial action, but in most cases I have experienced, the message is
simply prefaced with a red error indicator and the legend, "An unknown
error occurred in transferring this message."

If such a message is still on the server, the Message:Change:Server
choice results in the message being Deleted from the server, and the
latter choice provides a new copy of the message -- more or less
complete than the earlier one -- in its place.

That is what happens if you detect the problem and do something about
it.

If you don't detect it (perhaps because the message has been filtered
into a subordinate mailbox for later perusal or archiving), then the
message sits on the server forever (or until the server deletes it).  In
this case, each time Eudora fetches mail from that server it notes the
presence of the message but does not reload it or report anything to the
user.  If one's server retains messages indefinitely, one can easily
accumulate several hundred such messages over the course of a few
months, adding considerably to the resources used every time mail is
checked, but otherwise ignoring the existence of the message.

If Eudora is reinstalled or reconfigured, however, then it may lose
track of the fact that these ancient messages have already been fetched
and do so again.  In fact, it repeats this process every time it has
such a memory lapse.  So, over a period, several hundred or thousand
copies of such messages may accumulate in their low-priority mailboxes.
And, from the user's point of view, a large number of ancient messages
may appear, looking as if the server has mistakenly regurgitated them.

I would suggest, as a minimum, (1) that messages received in error be
opened if the settings so dictate, (2) that, by default (or at least by
some specification in defining filters and their operation), messages
"in error" either not be filtered or be filtered into a designated
mailbox, and (3) that an aging report list or tabulate messages left on
the server.  (It may be, of course, that examination of some of the
messages "in error" will show that it is Eudora that is in error and
needs repair.)

Although I doubt that you will need them, I can furnish samples of
problematic messages.

Thanks,

Dave.

Any constructive suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

1. Eudora "Leave Mail On Server" Problem WAS Re: eudora and mail delete

: >
: >[ Article crossposted from alt.winsock ]
: >[ Author was Dan Kraemer ]
: >[ Posted on 14 Jan 1995 01:31:44 GMT ]
: >

: >
: >I have the same problem.  If I check "Leave Mail On Server", it does
: >that.. It leaves the mail on the server, but say I have one piece of
: >e-mail and Eudora checks for new mail every 5 minutes.   With this
: >setting, Eudora "finds" that same message EVERY five minutes.
: >
: >Basically, I'm asking is anyone who's using the shareware version of
: >Eudora able to leave their mail on their Unix account, and have Eudora
: >read your mail into your computer only once?
: >
: Well it works fine for me, and I know others as well that have one
: Eudora at home with "Leave mail on server" checked and one at work
: with it unchecked. At home it sees "3 new, skipping 5 old" and at
: work it reads in all mails thereby deleting them on the server.
: It isn't recommended to automatically check for new mail more often
: than once every 15th minute, plus it's not, at least not at our
: mailserver, considered nice to only have one account and have
: that one leave the mail on the server. Fills upp pretty quickly.

Well, I have tried "leave mail on server" (in the PD edition) and all
that happens is I get no mail transferred. What version of Eudora
CORRECTLY gets new mail down to the client, marking it as read on the
server???

--

Voice: +61 (0)91 72 0429                     Fax:   +61 (0)91 72 3560
Hedland College, PMB 1, South Hedland WA 6722 Australia

2. Fonts in Windows 98

3. Eudora Light with "leave on server/delete from server" popup?

4. TeX dvi font difference utility available

5. Eudora 4.2: "Leave on server" not working

6. Writers/Wanted/nycAgency

7. "Leave on server.." and other annoying Eudora behaviors

8. Cisco Specials Don't Miss!!

9. Policy for Eudora's "Leave Mail on Server"?

10. "Leave messages on server" still deletes mail

11. OE5: "leave messages on server" problems...

12. Help with "initializing server" error with "send"

13. Pine 4.31, "Setup", "Config", ..., "?" gives "Illegal instruction"