Comments on qmail?

Post by Theodore Ceka » Tue, 09 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Anyone have comments on the merits of qmail?  Does it work well?  Has anyone
dropped it in favor of something else?

Any insight is appreciated.

Ted

Comments on qmail?

Post by Dave Sil » Wed, 10 Mar 1999 04:00:00

> Anyone have comments on the merits of qmail?  Does it work well?

I've been running it for years. Performance is excellent, it's
extremely robust and secure. The modular design makes for easy,
flexible configuration. I'm hooked on some of its features, especially
extension addresses handled by the hierarchy of .qmail files.

Quote:> Has anyone dropped it in favor of something else?

I haven't. I've played with Postfix some. It's nice, but it's not as
mature as qmail, lacks some of my favorite features, and has a mind
boggling number of configuration options. It is, however, easier to
drop-in as a sendmail replacement than qmail.

--

Lockheed Martin Energy Research  Oak Ridge National Lab   Workstation Support
Take the qmail Challenge.  See <URL:http://web.infoave.net/~dsill/qmail.html>

1. qmail's pop server (qmail-popup/qmail-pop3d)

Hi,

I am running qmail 1.03 on SuSE Linux version 6.0.  Mail delivery is
working fine to
a Maildir in each user's home area.  My problem is that qpopper 2.53
does not
appear to support qmail's Maildir system and qmail-popup, qmail's own
pop
server requires a program SuSE Linux does not appear to have.  The
installation
instructions for qmail-popup are:

    add to /etc/inetd.conf:
    pop3 stream tcp nowait root /usr/sbin/tcpd /var/qmail/qmail-popup
HOSTNAME checkpassword qmail-pop3d Maildir

This would mean that qmail-popup accepts the username and password from
a client
and passes them to 'checkpassword' for authentication.  I have tried
init, getty, and login
without success.  I don't have 'checkpassword' and man -k pass does not
show anything
even like it.

Is there a copy of 'checkpassword' or something smilar out there that
will work with
SuSE 6.0 shadow passwords?  Is it possible to configure qpopper to read
and distribute
the contents of Maildir?  Is there any other pop server I could use?

The command 'mailx' on SuSE 6.0 is just a symlink to /bin/mail - which
does not
read qmail's Maildir either.  Are there any replacements available
anywhere that can
read Maildir?

I'm still not completely sure what an MUA is.  Is it a Mail User Agent??

Any help at all is appreciated.  I will post a precis of solutions etc
here
when I find them.

Alastair.

2. Named and Zone files

3. m4: Comment out with comment?

4. VPN hardware recommendations?

5. QMAIL problem: "qmail-inject: fatal: read error"

6. For the love of god web master

7. qmail and procmail w/ no qmail bin access

8. Saving IMAP Username

9. qmail? any qmail here?

10. Reading mail from a qmail server and posting mail to a qmail server whith nmh

11. query about qmail...qmail-remote..

12. qmail trouble pb d'install qmail

13. Download of all comments with outlook express