"Error involving Domain Name System"

Post by Loell Rodger » Sun, 28 Apr 2002 00:00:50

Eudora 5.1.1b23, free mode.

I'm another brand new OSX (10.1.4) user, making great headway on this
new platform. However, I began having a problem when Eudora initiates
the connection to check mail: "Error while checking mail for
<<*>>: Error involving Domain Name System - 3170; The domain name
does not exist. {37:438}."

If I close this error window and check mail again, the mail instantly
downloads as if there were no problem.

I may have precipitated this by trying to sync the Eudora folders of my
two computers (Eudora 5.1 on an iBook running 9.1, with an iMac running
10.1.4/9.2.2).

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Many thanks,
--
Regards,
LRodgers

"Error involving Domain Name System"

Post by J.P. Kuyper » Sun, 28 Apr 2002 00:57:26

In article (Dans l'article)

Quote:> I'm another brand new OSX (10.1.4) user, making great headway on this
> new platform. However, I began having a problem when Eudora initiates
> the connection to check mail: "Error while checking mail for
> <<*>>: Error involving Domain Name System - 3170; The domain name
> does not exist. {37:438}."

> If I close this error window and check mail again, the mail instantly
> downloads as if there were no problem.

Maybe this would help:

> Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.comm
> Subject: Re: First Connect Fails Using Airport Modem
> Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 22:33:37 -0500

> > The first time I call for a TCP/IP connection, the Airport begins making
> > the connection, but then the computer gives me an error that the domain
> > name can't be found.  For example, if I type a URL in iCab and press
> > return, I get the error.  If I dismiss the error dialog box and try
> > again, however, the page loads fine.

> One workaround I've seen is to loop your DNS servers. That is, if your
> DNS servers were 1.1.1.1 and 2.2.2.2, you'd fill in in the TCP/IP
> control panel:
> 1.1.1.1
> 2.2.2.2
> 1.1.1.1
> 2.2.2.2
> 1.1.1.1
> 2.2.2.2

> etc. The problem you're having is that the computer is checking the
> name server before the Airport modem has finished dialing. Give it a
> long enough list, and it'll still be trying the "tenth" or "twentieth"
> name server when the Airport modem has established the connection and
> voila!

> --
> Bubba Dave Pooser

An other way is to make the Internet connection first, and then to ask
Eudora to check the mail.

--
Jean-Pierre Kuypers

Post by Loell Rodger » Sun, 28 Apr 2002 07:31:55

> In article (Dans l'article)

> > I'm another brand new OSX (10.1.4) user, making great headway on this
> > new platform. However, I began having a problem when Eudora initiates
> > the connection to check mail: "Error while checking mail for
> > <<*>>: Error involving Domain Name System - 3170; The domain name
> > does not exist. {37:438}."

> > If I close this error window and check mail again, the mail instantly
> > downloads as if there were no problem.

> Maybe this would help:

> > Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.comm
> > Subject: Re: First Connect Fails Using Airport Modem
> > Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 22:33:37 -0500

> > > The first time I call for a TCP/IP connection, the Airport begins making
> > > the connection, but then the computer gives me an error that the domain
> > > name can't be found.  For example, if I type a URL in iCab and press
> > > return, I get the error.  If I dismiss the error dialog box and try
> > > again, however, the page loads fine.

> > One workaround I've seen is to loop your DNS servers. That is, if your
> > DNS servers were 1.1.1.1 and 2.2.2.2, you'd fill in in the TCP/IP
> > control panel:
> > 1.1.1.1
> > 2.2.2.2
> > 1.1.1.1
> > 2.2.2.2
> > 1.1.1.1
> > 2.2.2.2

> > etc. The problem you're having is that the computer is checking the
> > name server before the Airport modem has finished dialing. Give it a
> > long enough list, and it'll still be trying the "tenth" or "twentieth"
> > name server when the Airport modem has established the connection and
> > voila!

> > --
> > Bubba Dave Pooser

> An other way is to make the Internet connection first, and then to ask
> Eudora to check the mail.

Thanks for your reply JP. I also am using Airport, and low and behold
(as the other poster mentioned) have just discovered that ANY app that
initiates the dialup connection generates an error. Dismiss the error,
try again, and all is well. So the problem does not seem to be with
Eudora at all. The above-mentioned workaround has no effect at all... I
still have the problem.
--
Regards,
LRodgers

"Error involving Domain Name System"

Post by Greg » Sun, 28 Apr 2002 09:11:09

On 4/26/02 3:31 PM, in article

> Thanks for your reply JP. I also am using Airport, and low and behold
> (as the other poster mentioned) have just discovered that ANY app that
> initiates the dialup connection generates an error. Dismiss the error,
> try again, and all is well. So the problem does not seem to be with
> Eudora at all. The above-mentioned workaround has no effect at all... I
> still have the problem.

Bump <x-eudora-setting:13102> up to 5.  If you still receive the error, try
a higher number until you do not receive the error when checking mail.

Greg

Post by Loell Rodger » Sun, 28 Apr 2002 22:13:46

> On 4/26/02 3:31 PM, in article

> > Thanks for your reply JP. I also am using Airport, and low and behold
> > (as the other poster mentioned) have just discovered that ANY app that
> > initiates the dialup connection generates an error. Dismiss the error,
> > try again, and all is well. So the problem does not seem to be with
> > Eudora at all. The above-mentioned workaround has no effect at all... I
> > still have the problem.

> Bump <x-eudora-setting:13102> up to 5.  If you still receive the error, try
> a higher number until you do not receive the error when checking mail.

> Greg

Thanks for your reply Greg. I'm using Eudora 5.1.1b23 with OS 10.1.4
(which I'm just beginning to get the hang of). Anyway, I bumped up
<x-eudora-setting:12102> to 5 for starters, as you suggested, and will
see what happens.

As noted above, I discovered that the problem isn't necessarily a Eudora
problem (I'd been using Eudora to initiate my connection when the errors
suddenly began occurring). After experimenting a little it seems now
that initiating the connection (dialup, Airport 2.0.2) from *any* Web
application generates an error message:  "domain name does not exist"
(Eudora); "server could not be found" (Explorer) or "The domain name
server lookup has failed, the host is unknown" (AIM). If I dismiss the
error and try again, I'm already connected and all is well.

It has also been brought to my attention that at least someone else had
posted this exact problem in the comp.sys.mac.comm newsgroup but I could
find nothing about it doing a Google search. I've posted the question
there again as well.

Regards,
--
Regards,
LRodgers

"Error involving Domain Name System"

Post by Bryan Wall » Sat, 01 Jun 2002 09:27:42

The problem turns out to be a corrupted In box. The In folder causes the
same cranking problem if I try to open it in BBEdit, and chokes the
terminal window.

Any unix tricks on checking file health? I have diagnostic tools, like
TechTools, DiskWarrior, and Norton, but none for OS X yet. I could
probably use one of those on the single file, but it makes me nervous...

> On 4/26/02 3:31 PM, in article

> > Thanks for your reply JP. I also am using Airport, and low and behold
> > (as the other poster mentioned) have just discovered that ANY app that
> > initiates the dialup connection generates an error. Dismiss the error,
> > try again, and all is well. So the problem does not seem to be with
> > Eudora at all. The above-mentioned workaround has no effect at all... I
> > still have the problem.

> Bump <x-eudora-setting:13102> up to 5.  If you still receive the error, try
> a higher number until you do not receive the error when checking mail.

> Greg

"Error involving Domain Name System"

Post by Avery Raski » Sun, 02 Jun 2002 16:36:47

Quote:> Any unix tricks on checking file health? I have diagnostic tools, like
> TechTools, DiskWarrior, and Norton, but none for OS X yet. I could
> probably use one of those on the single file, but it makes me nervous...

You don't need Unix tricks -- boot into 9 or from your utility disk and
run them. The latest versions of Norton, Tech Tool and DiskWarrior are
all fine to be run on OSX disks, including the OS9 versions. Norton is
out for OSX and Micromat has Drive 10, which is a stripped down OSX
version of Tech Tool Pro.

"Error involving Domain Name System"

Post by Jennifer Mull » Wed, 05 Jun 2002 01:16:03

Quote:>The problem turns out to be a corrupted In box. The In folder causes the
>same cranking problem if I try to open it in BBEdit, and chokes the
>terminal window.

What do you mean by "chokes the terminal window"?

--
Jennifer Mullen

Please note: all email sent to the above address will automatically be
processed into /dev/null and never read.  The address to which mail should
be sent is left for the reader to determine.

Post by Bryan Wall » Tue, 11 Jun 2002 23:54:06

> >The problem turns out to be a corrupted In box. The In folder causes the
> >same cranking problem if I try to open it in BBEdit, and chokes the
> >terminal window.

> What do you mean by "chokes the terminal window"?

I meant that if I tried to do "cat IN"  that it would print for a while,
and then eventually lock up the terminal window while the drive kept
making a seeking noise. I had to kill the terminal window process.

Likewise for BBEdit.

Post by Monsieur Bod » Fri, 13 Sep 2002 12:58:25

> Eudora 5.1.1b23, free mode.

> I'm another brand new OSX (10.1.4) user, making great headway on this
> new platform. However, I began having a problem when Eudora initiates
> the connection to check mail: "Error while checking mail for
> <<*>>: Error involving Domain Name System - 3170; The domain name
> does not exist. {37:438}."

hello I try to solve the same error with eud F-511
the problem is that it is on my brother Mac in Paris and I am in the
indian ocean !
I made him try the trick with multiple DNS server addresses
---no chance does not works---
when already connected he lauches Eudora he get anaother error
no more "3208" error but 3162. but still  ?systme noms de
domaines? {37:438}.
any Idea to solve the problem without  "remote very expensive telephone
control" (trying to know what is on the sreen at 11000 km away)

--
Ile de la Runion  (Je ne suis pas le dmon-posteur mais b.boden)
Ya plus de plage, Ya plus de lagon, rien que des branches casses

Post by Elana Keh » Fri, 13 Sep 2002 21:37:41

> > Eudora 5.1.1b23, free mode.

> > I'm another brand new OSX (10.1.4) user, making great headway on this
> > new platform. However, I began having a problem when Eudora initiates
> > the connection to check mail: "Error while checking mail for
> > <<*>>: Error involving Domain Name System - 3170; The domain name
> > does not exist. {37:438}."

> hello I try to solve the same error with eud F-511
> the problem is that it is on my brother Mac in Paris and I am in the
> indian ocean !
> I made him try the trick with multiple DNS server addresses
> ---no chance does not works---
> when already connected he lauches Eudora he get anaother error
> no more "3208" error but 3162. but still  ?systme noms de
> domaines? {37:438}.
> any Idea to solve the problem without  "remote very expensive telephone
> control" (trying to know what is on the sreen at 11000 km away)

From what I know, this means that there just isn't a good net
connection, or not connected at all.  I just went through this with my
mother.  Make sure all TCP/IP settings are correct first.  Can the
computer go to, say, Yahoo?  If it can, it's something else.  If it
can't, I'd look into the net connection.  This is for both posters.

Oh, and M. Boden, try not to get your computer wet if you are in the
ocean! :-)

I like .spaghetti but not in my email.
Member, IrelandOffline
Users bringing affordable Net access to Ireland
http://www.veryComputer.com/

Post by Kathy Morg » Mon, 16 Sep 2002 07:16:20

> > Eudora 5.1.1b23, free mode.

> > I'm another brand new OSX (10.1.4) user, making great headway on this
> > new platform. However, I began having a problem when Eudora initiates
> > the connection to check mail: "Error while checking mail for
> > <<*>>: Error involving Domain Name System - 3170; The domain name
> > does not exist. {37:438}."

> hello I try to solve the same error with eud F-511
> the problem is that it is on my brother Mac in Paris and I am in the
> indian ocean !
> I made him try the trick with multiple DNS server addresses
> ---no chance does not works---
> when already connected he lauches Eudora he get anaother error
> no more "3208" error but 3162. but still  ?systme noms de
> domaines? {37:438}.
> any Idea to solve the problem without  "remote very expensive telephone
> control" (trying to know what is on the sreen at 11000 km away)

Try changing your timeouts under Special | Settings | Timeouts to allow
more time for the server to respond.  If you do not see the Timeouts
panel in your Settings, you will need to install the Esoteric Settings
Plugin.  Eudora 5.1.1 is a package file, so to install it you will have
to control-click on the application to open the package.

--
Kathy

help for new users of newsgroups at <http://www.veryComputer.com/~kmorgan/>
Good Net Keeping Seal of Approval at <http://www.veryComputer.com/;
OE-quotefix can fix OE: <http://www.veryComputer.com/;

Post by User Unkno » Thu, 19 Sep 2002 03:50:40

> Oh, and M. Boden, try not to get your computer wet if you are in the
> ocean! :-)

Easy except while hurricane blows the season is coming soon we got our
first "alerte" last week
--
Ile de la Runion  (Je ne suis pas le dmon-posteur mais b.boden)
Ya plus de plage, Ya plus de lagon, rien que des branches casses
Epargnez en Zbus ! aidez les :  http://www.madagascar-contacts.com/zob/

1. Eudora &AOL: "Error involving Domain name system"

I'm an AOL user who is required to use Eudora to submit papers to
university professors on the other side of the country. I'm having
problems sending and receiving E-mail via Eudora. I followed the Eudora
instructions for "Setup" but am receiving an "Error involving Domain name
system" message when I try to send E-mail. What should I do?

2. single image background

3. "Error involving Domain Name System"

4. YOU can PROFIT simply by placing ads!

5. "Error involving domain system"?

6. Pocket pc Phone Edition

7. "error involving domain name"

8. : TeXing in Russian

9. "error involving domain name server"

10. "Error invloving Domain Name System -3200"

11. error involving Domain Name System, -3208

12. Error involving domain name system

13. Error involving Domain Name System?