"Reply-To" and "From" fields in Sendmail 8.8.8

"Reply-To" and "From" fields in Sendmail 8.8.8

Post by Trevor Phillip » Thu, 08 Oct 1998 04:00:00

I've recently pried Netscape Mail Server off my Solaris (2.6) box, and put on
Sendmail 8.8.8 (along with Cyrus IMAP). I have a number of mail lists (using
aliases to point to a mail list script), and some of them I'd like the address
used to be one of the machines aliases, not its real hostname. However, when I
send mail to this address, it translates both the From field AND the Reply-To
field to have the actual name of the machine.

Is it possible to have it keep the aliased name for addresses?? If so, what's
the best way to do it?

--
. Trevor Phillips             -           http://jurai.murdoch.edu.au/ .

| IT Services                       -               Murdoch University |
| On nights such as this, evil deeds are done. And good deeds, of     /
| course. But mostly evil, on the whole.                             /
 \      -- (Terry Pratchett, Wyrd Sisters)                          /

Post by Per Hedela » Thu, 08 Oct 1998 04:00:00

>Is it possible to have it keep the aliased name for addresses?? If so, what's
>the best way to do it?

Use an MX record instead of an alias (CNAME record). Host aliases aren't
allowed in mail addresses per current standards, and so sendmail
rewrites them to the canonical name (you can turn this off in your own
sendmail, but not in others:-).

--Per Hedeland

Post by Trevor Phillip » Sat, 10 Oct 1998 04:00:00

> >Is it possible to have it keep the aliased name for addresses?? If so, what's
> >the best way to do it?

> Use an MX record instead of an alias (CNAME record). Host aliases aren't
> allowed in mail addresses per current standards, and so sendmail
> rewrites them to the canonical name (you can turn this off in your own
> sendmail, but not in others:-).

I've set it up so the "alias" now has a MX and a CNAME. Now, it seems SOME
recipient servers leave the name intact, but others still convert it to the
canonical name. These are local servers, so they SHOULD have got the DNS
changes overnight.

Also, if I do an "nslookup -query=mx AliasName", then every SECOND one lists
the MX record. Every alternate one doesn't. Is this a clash between having a
MX and a CNAME? Or some other quirk?

--
. Trevor Phillips             -           http://jurai.murdoch.edu.au/ .

| IT Services                       -               Murdoch University |
| On nights such as this, evil deeds are done. And good deeds, of     /
| course. But mostly evil, on the whole.                             /
 \      -- (Terry Pratchett, Wyrd Sisters)                          /

"Reply-To" and "From" fields in Sendmail 8.8.8

Post by Per Hedela » Sat, 10 Oct 1998 04:00:00

[ Please don't send mail copies of postings without clearly marking them
  as such. ]

>> >Is it possible to have it keep the aliased name for addresses?? If so, what's
>> >the best way to do it?

>> Use an MX record instead of an alias (CNAME record). Host aliases aren't
>> allowed in mail addresses per current standards, and so sendmail
>> rewrites them to the canonical name (you can turn this off in your own
>> sendmail, but not in others:-).

>I've set it up so the "alias" now has a MX and a CNAME. Now, it seems SOME
>recipient servers leave the name intact, but others still convert it to the
>canonical name. These are local servers, so they SHOULD have got the DNS
>changes overnight.

As I wrote above, use an MX record *instead* of a CNAME - you're not
allowed to have any other data for a name that has a CNAME record (and
your name server software should have told you that when you tried) -
the result is unpredictable if it works at all (whatever "works" might
mean for such a thing - which is where the problem lies). If the name
needs to work for non-email access such as http or telnet too, use an A
record along with the MX, otherwise use *only* the MX.

--Per Hedeland

Post by Trevor Phillip » Tue, 13 Oct 1998 04:00:00

> As I wrote above, use an MX record *instead* of a CNAME - you're not
> allowed to have any other data for a name that has a CNAME record (and
> your name server software should have told you that when you tried) -
> the result is unpredictable if it works at all (whatever "works" might
> mean for such a thing - which is where the problem lies). If the name
> needs to work for non-email access such as http or telnet too, use an A
> record along with the MX, otherwise use *only* the MX.

OK, so bottom line is don't mix CNAME with MX. *sigh*

Thanks for your help...

--
. Trevor Phillips             -           http://jurai.murdoch.edu.au/ .

| IT Services                       -               Murdoch University |
| On nights such as this, evil deeds are done. And good deeds, of     /
| course. But mostly evil, on the whole.                             /
 \      -- (Terry Pratchett, Wyrd Sisters)                          /

1. extracting the "from" or "reply-to" field?

I'm trying to define an mhl-form file that extracts the
address in the Reply-To: field or the From: field.  I've
been using formail -rx To: to do this, and I think it's
sensitive to different formats -- it seems to work fine

So, I thought I'd use mhl instead.  Trouble is, the
man file on mhl is of VERY little help -- it doesn't
at all explain all the %'s and >'s you find in form
files.  I've been able to get by with fiddling with
previously written form files, but this one has me

to be returned, and I don't know how to do this.  I thought
something like:

%(lit)%(formataddr %<{from}%|%<{reply-to}%|%{sender}%>%>)\
%<(nonnull)%(void(width))%(putaddr)\n%>\

would work, but mhl gives me the oh-so-helpful "syntax errors"
message.

Tips?  Ideas?  I'd really like a reliable mechanism for
retrieving the from address out of a mail message...I

half the time...

Or maybe I should just use perl...

---Cindy
--
_________________________Cindy Tittle Moore___________________________________

2. what is genetic algorithm?

3. Set "From" and "Reply-To" fields: how to?

4. PPP experience on Xyplex

5. Pine 4.31, "Setup", "Config", ..., "?" gives "Illegal instruction"

6. MT try-catch-finally package for C

7. Reply To "From" Instead Of "Reply-To"???

8. What do you say to DayStar(MacWorks) clones

9. sendmail modifying "From" and "Reply-to" headers

10. Help : "From :" field or "X-Envelope to :" field

11. how to insert "Reply-to" header using UCB "mail"

12. Changing "from" or "reply-to"?

13. How to tell "mail" program to use "Reply-To:" header?