mbx format

Post by Kevin Withnal » Tue, 29 Jan 2002 20:30:18

Question 1:

Can i simply cat new messages to the end of a mbx file ?

I  have procmail delivering to folders and have just converted them to
mbx format. do i need the dmail program mentioned in the faq or does
that only make it faster to access later without having to rebuild the
map.

Question 2:
After having sucessfully created a #public/test folder, netscape mail
showed it up and i could use it. on re-connecting however it has
disappeared. Does the server always list public folders when a mailbox
list is requested ? Can i change the behaviour of this so i always get
them ?

Thanks for any help...

Regards
Kevin (who read as much of the faq as i could understand first :-) )

mbx format

Post by arvidjaa » Tue, 29 Jan 2002 21:15:22

Quote:> Question 1:

> Can i simply cat new messages to the end of a mbx file ?

> I  have procmail delivering to folders and have just converted them to
> mbx format. do i need the dmail program mentioned in the faq or does
> that only make it faster to access later without having to rebuild the
> map.

dmail also knows how to correctly deal with concurrent access. And why
reinvent the wheel and duplicate c-client?

=arvi=

mbx format

Post by Mark Crispi » Wed, 30 Jan 2002 02:40:37

> Can i simply cat new messages to the end of a mbx file ?

No.  cat does not know about the locking protocol, nor does it guarantee
delivery in proper mbx format.

Quote:> Question 2:
> After having sucessfully created a #public/test folder, netscape mail
> showed it up and i could use it. on re-connecting however it has
> disappeared. Does the server always list public folders when a mailbox
> list is requested ? Can i change the behaviour of this so i always get
> them ?

The server lists public mailboxes whenever the client requests such a
list.  I think that you need to take up your Netscape mail usage question
with Netscape support.

-- Mark --

http://staff.washington.edu/mrc

1. Import from Win 3.1 Internet Mail Not from .MBX Format

I need to import e-mail messages from not .mbx format,
but from files that hold one message each, indexed by
a single "Msg_list" file per folder. This is how all
my old messages are currently stored from an older
version of Internet Mail for Windows 3.1 that came with
an earlier version of Internet Explorer. I'm now using
Internet Mail and News for Windows 95. Everything I've
found after hours of searching the web seems to assume
the .mbx format used by later versions and by other
e-mail packages. Even one site that mentioned Internet
Mail for Windows 3.1 talked about this .mbx file.
My version must have been earlier.

Inside the individual message folders (e.g.inbox) is
always one file named "Msg_list". Each message is there
also containined in its own file. These message files
are named like this:

   R*.R  (e.g. Raaaabpy.r)
   S*.   (e.g. Saaaaaeo)
   R*.N  (e.g. Raaaaa85.n)
   S*.q  (e.g. Saaaaalz.q)

The version of Internet Mail from which I am trying to
import my files has this DOS directory structure:

mail
  user1
     folders
        deleted
        inbox
        outbox
        sent
  user2
     folders
        deleted
        inbox
        outbox
        sent

Thanks for your help in finding a way for me to recover these
messages into Internet Mail and News v1.0 under Windows 95.

2. I'm so tired of crosspost

3. uw-imap, mbx format and pop3...

4. We have a place for you!

5. convert from unix mbox to mbx format?

6. Socket not reading it's send-q

7. new mailboxes in mbx format

8. switching RAM banks

9. mbx format in central spool directory

10. UW IMAPD: MBX format & file location question (on RH 6.1)

11. mbx format really in use?

12. Converting mbox to mbx format

13. mbx format, home dirs, and "IMAP mail directory"?