Outlook/qmail not accepting PDF attachments

Outlook/qmail not accepting PDF attachments

Post by H?kon Alstadhe » Mon, 22 Sep 2003 05:58:30

I've been trying to send my CV to a prospective employer (TWICE) with
no joy. Since I'd rather not have any more failed mails I hope someone
in either comp.mail.mime or comp.mail.mh can shed some light. I did
the obvious tests and looked at the mails in exmh and Mozilla 1.4,
which clearly shows the attachments if the user carse to look for
them, i.e. they are not displayed inline.

The cv is in a pdf-file that I send in a multipart/mixed mail.*a
plain text part and then a application/pdf (also tried
application/octet-stream) part. I don't put in any content-disposition
or anything. Then at the end comes my .signature in a text/plain part.

The relevant part looks like this, indented by me (before leaving my
mua, see below) :

    Subject: Re: SV: Min programmerer-CV

    Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 23:16:53 +0200

    ------- =_aaaaaaaaaa0

    > Hei
    > Jeg tror du har glemt vedlegget. Pr=F8v p=E5 nytt
    Det var nok en teknisk feil, vi pr=F8ver igjen.

    ------- =_aaaaaaaaaa0

    JVBERi0xLjMKMyAwIG9iaiA8PAovTGVuZ3RoIDE4NzQgICAgICAKL0ZpbHRlciAvRmxhdGVEZWNv
    ... [snip] ...

Now, I believe I may have set up my system to use 8-bit transfers,
which will include my name in a header with one norwegian character
which might provoke some gremlins somewhere, but as my name is
returned to me unscathed, I think not. Will anyone disagree ? One
reason for me doing this is that i use nmh as MUA and mhn to compose
MIME messages.

Other possible jinxes on my CV might be that either qmail or outlook,
which my correspondent is using, might mistrust attachments or that
outlook might misunderstand the mime headers that mhn/mhbuild
produces. Has anyone heard of people disallowing pdf-attachments? Is
there anything in my headers cited above that Outlook might
misunderstand?

A third possibility is of course that Outlook has the attachment and
would show it to my correspondent if she only would use the right
menu, or click on the right icon. Anyone here know which menu I should
tell her to look under? Anyone using Outlook who would care to offer
themselves as guinea-pigs and let me send them a mail?

This is the mailer header I get from my correspondent:

These are the two bottom-most received lines in mails I get from my correspondent:
      by 0 with SMTP; 19 Sep 2003 09:53:28 -0000

--
H?kon Alstadheim, hjemmepappa.

Outlook/qmail not accepting PDF attachments

Post by Joel Reiche » Mon, 22 Sep 2003 13:27:09

Unless I've misread your post, you've given everything except the
actual error at the destination. What is it?

Cheers,

        - Joel

Post by H?kon Alstadhe » Mon, 22 Sep 2003 17:23:55

> Unless I've misread your post, you've given everything except the
> actual error at the destination. What is it?

D'OH!  Translated from norwegian my correspondent (my prospective
employer ) says: "I think you forgot to include the attatchment" the
first time, and "Still no attachment there" the second time. She still
says "try again" though so she's not given up on me yet.

--

Post by Joel Reiche » Mon, 22 Sep 2003 19:44:52

> D'OH!  Translated from norwegian my correspondent (my prospective
> employer ) says: "I think you forgot to include the attatchment" the
> first time, and "Still no attachment there" the second time. She still
> says "try again" though so she's not given up on me yet.

Your mime headers look good, so I'd be putting my money on a mail
server somewhere between you and her stripping out the attachment
because it's too large. You can try sending her a tiny PDF as a test,
or you can send me the full thing and I'll let you know if it got past
your ISP. I know mine won't strip the attachment.

Cheers,

        - Joel

Post by vuano.. » Mon, 22 Sep 2003 19:51:47

|D'OH!  Translated from norwegian my correspondent (my prospective
|employer ) says: "I think you forgot to include the attatchment" the
|first time, and "Still no attachment there" the second time. She still
|says "try again" though so she's not given up on me yet.

I've had something similar happen to me, my correspondent claimed there
was nothing attached to the mail. It could be that some scanner is
stripping the attachment. Or maybe I put the wrong mime type on it. I
never figured out what it was.

Anyway since it's a job and important, try wrapping it in a zip file and
see if that gets past.
--

Outlook/qmail not accepting PDF attachments

Post by H?kon Alstadhe » Tue, 23 Sep 2003 00:42:48

I've mailed the pdf to myself, so it's not my ISP which is to blame.

Thanks to all who replied. I've posted the pdf on the web and sent a
link, lets hope that works. If the organisation is paranoid enough to
stop a rather small (9.9k) pdf, she probably won't have acrobat reader
installed either.

I've been looking at spamassassin, and I see that one of the tests is
for attachments with filename and comment being different, which would
have been triggered by my first attempt but not my second. I left the
rather non-descriptive filename alone on a hunch.
--

Post by da.. » Tue, 23 Sep 2003 08:03:07

> I've been trying to send my CV to a prospective employer (TWICE) with
> no joy. Since I'd rather not have any more failed mails I hope someone
> in either comp.mail.mime or comp.mail.mh can shed some light. I did
> the obvious tests and looked at the mails in exmh and Mozilla 1.4,
> which clearly shows the attachments if the user carse to look for
> them, i.e. they are not displayed inline.

> The cv is in a pdf-file that I send in a multipart/mixed mail.*a
> plain text part and then a application/pdf (also tried
> application/octet-stream) part. I don't put in any content-disposition
> or anything. Then at the end comes my .signature in a text/plain part.

> The relevant part looks like this, indented by me (before leaving my
> mua, see below) :

>     Subject: Re: SV: Min programmerer-CV

>     Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 23:16:53 +0200

>     ------- =_aaaaaaaaaa0

>     > Hei
>     > Jeg tror du har glemt vedlegget. Pr=F8v p=E5 nytt
>     Det var nok en teknisk feil, vi pr=F8ver igjen.

>     ------- =_aaaaaaaaaa0

>     JVBERi0xLjMKMyAwIG9iaiA8PAovTGVuZ3RoIDE4NzQgICAgICAKL0ZpbHRlciAvRmxhdGVEZWNv
>     ... [snip] ...

I have run into this before when trying to send to an Outlook
user.  I think that Outlook needs a Content-Disposition field,
your example would look like:

     ------- =_aaaaaaaaaa0

     JVBERi0xLjMKMyAwIG9iaiA8PAovTGVuZ3RoIDE4NzQgICAgICAKL0ZpbHRlciAvRmxhdGVEZW\
Nv

I'd be interested to know if that helps in your case.

David

Post by H?kon Alstadhe » Tue, 23 Sep 2003 22:45:52

>> I've been trying to send my CV to a prospective employer (TWICE)
[...snip...]
> I have run into this before when trying to send to an Outlook
> user.  I think that Outlook needs a Content-Disposition field,
> your example would look like:

>      ------- =_aaaaaaaaaa0

>      JVBERi0xLjMKMyAwIG9iaiA8PAovTGVuZ3RoIDE4NzQgICAgICAKL0ZpbHRlciAvRmxhdGVEZW\
> Nv

Like I said in another message, i just sent her an URI, and I talked
to her on the phone today. She got it (had to download acrobat reader
though). I don't think I'll try talking her into doing any more
testing, but atleast we now have a record of a possible solution.

Now the follow-up question is: How do I get that Content-Disposition:
record through mhbuild? The man-page gives me a headache, I guess I'll
postpone it to the next time I need to send an attachment.
--

Post by da.. » Wed, 24 Sep 2003 06:22:36

> >> I've been trying to send my CV to a prospective employer (TWICE)
> [...snip...]
> > I have run into this before when trying to send to an Outlook
> > user.  I think that Outlook needs a Content-Disposition field,
> > your example would look like:

> >      ------- =_aaaaaaaaaa0

> >      JVBERi0xLjMKMyAwIG9iaiA8PAovTGVuZ3RoIDE4NzQgICAgICAKL0ZpbHRlciAvRmxhdGVEZW\
> > Nv

> Like I said in another message, i just sent her an URI, and I talked
> to her on the phone today. She got it (had to download acrobat reader
> though). I don't think I'll try talking her into doing any more
> testing, but atleast we now have a record of a possible solution.

Well, maybe not.  I have tested this further and found that it
doesn't always work.

If anyone knows the trick to get Outlook to see attachments from
mh, I'd love to hear it.  The recipient simply cannot see the
attachments.  It's not just PDF attachments, it's other types,
as well.

Quote:> Now the follow-up question is: How do I get that Content-Disposition:
> record through mhbuild? The man-page gives me a headache, I guess I'll
> postpone it to the next time I need to send an attachment.

David

Outlook/qmail not accepting PDF attachments

Post by Malcolm Dew-Jon » Wed, 24 Sep 2003 10:50:20

: >

: > >
: > >> I've been trying to send my CV to a prospective employer (TWICE)
: > [...snip...]
: > > I have run into this before when trying to send to an Outlook
: > > user.  I think that Outlook needs a Content-Disposition field,
: > > your example would look like:
: > >
: > >      ------- =_aaaaaaaaaa0

That's not a valid boundary because of the space character.

If that is what is truly in your message then perhaps that's the problem.

Post by Earl Ho » Wed, 24 Sep 2003 10:38:58

>: > > I have run into this before when trying to send to an Outlook
>: > > user.  I think that Outlook needs a Content-Disposition field,
>: > > your example would look like:
>: > >
>: > >      ------- =_aaaaaaaaaa0

>That's not a valid boundary because of the space character.

It is valid.  Check RFC 2046.  The following BNF is given:

     boundary := 0*69<bchars> bcharsnospace

     bchars := bcharsnospace / " "

     bcharsnospace := DIGIT / ALPHA / "'" / "(" / ")" /
                      "+" / "_" / "," / "-" / "." /
                      "/" / ":" / "=" / "?"

Now, if Outlook is * because of the space, then it is a bug
in Outlook.  To verify, just create two messages, one that uses
a space in the boundary and on that does not, and see how Outlook
behaves.

--ewh
--

Web: <http://www.veryComputer.com/;
PGP Public Key: <http://www.veryComputer.com/;

Post by da.. » Wed, 24 Sep 2003 12:42:02

> >: > > I have run into this before when trying to send to an Outlook
> >: > > user.  I think that Outlook needs a Content-Disposition field,
> >: > > your example would look like:
> >: > >
> >: > >      ------- =_aaaaaaaaaa0

> >That's not a valid boundary because of the space character.

> It is valid.  Check RFC 2046.  The following BNF is given:

>      boundary := 0*69<bchars> bcharsnospace

>      bchars := bcharsnospace / " "

>      bcharsnospace := DIGIT / ALPHA / "'" / "(" / ")" /
>                       "+" / "_" / "," / "-" / "." /

> Now, if Outlook is * because of the space, then it is a bug
> in Outlook.  To verify, just create two messages, one that uses
> a space in the boundary and on that does not, and see how Outlook
> behaves.

It's not the space, I have tried without.

At this point, I suspect something in the Outlook configuration.
Outlook Express has a setting to disable viewing of (most?)
attachments.  But I don't see that in Outlook.

David