Bypass remote INBOX prompt when starting PC-Pine

Bypass remote INBOX prompt when starting PC-Pine

Post by Eri Mend » Sun, 27 Jul 2003 17:13:25

Hi all,

Been a while for me and bit rusty using pine again. Got pc-pine 4.56
installed and running fine in WinXP Pro office box. Instead of going to
INBOX prompt directly, i would like PC-Pine to start in a local folder
mainly to speed up the opening process. Then if i decide to fetch my
mails remotely, i just switch to the folder where INBOX is located...
then go on from there.

My box is a client in a LAN having gateway internet server. Reading up
help says "If there is no remote-specification, then the folder name is
interpreted locally on the computer running Pine". I dont want new
folder to create instead use the existing folders i created inside
PC-Pine. Kindly please show me syntax how to point to local folder
during startup.

Sorry i seem to miss this while reading FAQ's in Eduardo/Gopi/Nancy
McGough's pine pages. TIA.

--
Using PC-Pine 4.56 MUA
Yahoo email is spam trap

Bypass remote INBOX prompt when starting PC-Pine

Post by Nancy McGoug » Sun, 27 Jul 2003 17:50:52

Quote:

> Instead of going to
> INBOX prompt directly, i would like PC-Pine to start in a local folder
> mainly to speed up the opening process.

I talk a little about this here:

 <http://www.ii.com/internet/messaging/pine/pc/#offline>

but your question has inspired me to also add something about it
in the Speeding Up Pine section. Anyway, the way I do it is to
set

 inbox-path=C:\MyHome\Msgs\~BogusINBOX.cmbx

I suggest that you use c-client MBX format (cmbx), which is the
default format in PC-Pine, so that you won't have problems when
you run more than one instance of Pine.

Let us know if you have any other questions.
Nancy

--
Nancy McGough            <http://www.ii.com>            Infinite Ink
Writing about procmail, imap, pine, spam-deflexion strategies & more

Bypass remote INBOX prompt when starting PC-Pine

Post by Eri Mend » Sun, 27 Jul 2003 19:05:05

[snip]

Quote:> I talk a little about this here:

>  <http://www.ii.com/internet/messaging/pine/pc/#offline>

Hi Nancy! Thanks for the quick reply. Im reading up the link.

Quote:> but your question has inspired me to also add something about it
> in the Speeding Up Pine section. Anyway, the way I do it is to
> set

>  inbox-path=C:\MyHome\Msgs\~BogusINBOX.cmbx

                             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ the tilde sign in the
filename is irrevelevant, isnt it? Or is the filename required exactly
as written?

Quote:> I suggest that you use c-client MBX format (cmbx), which is the
> default format in PC-Pine, so that you won't have problems when
> you run more than one instance of Pine.

> Let us know if you have any other questions.

Yes. Will tweak my pinerc after this post and report back.

--
Eri Mendz
Using PC-Pine 4.56 MUA

Bypass remote INBOX prompt when starting PC-Pine

Post by Ephraim Gadsb » Mon, 28 Jul 2003 02:18:56

On Sat, 26 Jul 2003 09:50:52 +0100, Nancy McGough

>> Instead of going to
>> INBOX prompt directly, i would like PC-Pine to start in a local folder
>> mainly to speed up the opening process.

>I talk a little about this here:

> <http://www.ii.com/internet/messaging/pine/pc/#offline>

>but your question has inspired me to also add something about it
>in the Speeding Up Pine section. Anyway, the way I do it is to
>set

> inbox-path=C:\MyHome\Msgs\~BogusINBOX.cmbx

The problem with that is that pine only polls the current mailbox and
the above mailbox, so your real inbox wont get polled properly.

I find that a better way is to start PC-Pine with
-f <local mailbox path>

The inbox is then not opened at startup, but when it is opened
manually it will be polled as normal thereafter.

1. Q: pine remote configuration (PC-Pine, Unix-Pine), security, store password

Hi!

I use PC-Pine to read mail stored on an IMAP server (Unix). I want to
be able to read my mail directly on the IMAP server machine by using
ssh. This works fine if I have two config files: One local config file
imapmachine:~/.pinerc (for Unix pine) and one on the Windows machine
(for PC-Pine). As having two config files is some hassle I decided to
use one remote config file for both.

All works fine from the windows machine (using some command line
argument for remote_pinerc access) but I'm not sure how to use it best
from Unix - without password question. It works fine when I start pine
like this: "pine -p {imapmachine/user=username}remote_pinerc". But I
have to enter some password every time. I think there are two possible
ways out:

1. Recompile Unix pine with PASSFILE (I don't prefer this actually).
2. Use something like ssh.

I tried the second way and configured ssh so that I can login from

(pubkey). But ssh seems not to be used for reading the remote_pinerc.
It takes some seconds (about 10) before I get asked for my password
(what is pine trying in the meantime).

As some third way I tried to create a symbolic link from .pinerc to
remote_pinerc but this doesn't seem to work because the different
format - folder vs. file - I guess.

Any hints for this? Or do I have to use the first way (build pine with
PASSFILE)?

Regards
Stefan

2. C++ Seminar

3. pc-pine prompting

4. Win2000 WAN to SBS2000 Question-Help

5. PC-Pine in Command Prompt Window

6. Web interface to X-10 equipment

7. PC-Pine 4.53: pine.pwd and remote SMTP

8. Watching network activities

9. Problem with moving from PC-PINE 3.90 to PC-PINE 3.91

10. PC-PINE: remote config probs

11. INBOX for PC-Pine

12. pc-pine INBOX and Pop3

13. PC-PINE: remote config probs