HELP ODD PROBLEM

Post by Francisco Cácere » Mon, 14 Jun 1999 04:00:00

I have a similar problem but with RH 5.2 and what I get when i try to telnet
the server is conection refused...

Francisco

>> I can send and receive mail from the terminal, but I can't access my
>> mail through third party email clients, such as MS OUTLOOK Express or
>> Netscape mail.  I'm running the new Red Hat 6.0 and the system is a
>> stand alone server.  I have a static IP and domain name.  I haven't done
>> any adjustments to the config files, it is in the default installation
>> state.   Please some help me.

>Soudns like mail is being properly delivered by sendmail to /var/spool/mail

>but you don't have a POP daemon configured yet...  look in /etc/inetd.conf
>to see what's being invoked when port 110 (POP3) is opened.  What do you
>get if you telnet to port 110?

>Richard

>--
> /  \__  | Richard Rognlie / Sendmail Consultant / Sendmail, Inc.
> \__/  \ | URL:    http://www.gamerz.net/rrognlie/
> /  \__/ | Give a man a fish, and he'll be hungry tomorrow.  Teach a
> \__/    | man to fish, and he'll be at the river all day drinking beer.

HELP ODD PROBLEM

Post by Tushar Pate » Tue, 15 Jun 1999 04:00:00

I can send and receive mail from the terminal, but I can't access my
mail through third party email clients, such as MS OUTLOOK Express or
Netscape mail.  I'm running the new Red Hat 6.0 and the system is a
stand alone server.  I have a static IP and domain name.  I haven't done
any adjustments to the config files, it is in the default installation
state.   Please some help me.

Tushar

HELP ODD PROBLEM

Post by d.. » Tue, 15 Jun 1999 04:00:00

>I can send and receive mail from the terminal, but I can't access my
>mail through third party email clients, such as MS OUTLOOK Express or
>Netscape mail.  I'm running the new Red Hat 6.0 and the system is a
>stand alone server.  I have a static IP and domain name.  I haven't done
>any adjustments to the config files, it is in the default installation
>state.   Please some help me.

Did you install a server for the Email clients?  If IMAPD or POPD
don't ring a bell, you need to familiarize yourself with them.  RedHat
ships with them, but you probably need to turn them on.  I'm not sure,
but they're easy to run.

A good test is to telnet to port 110 and 220 (ports for POP3 and IMAP3,
respectively) on that machine.  If the machine picks up the phone,
that (most likely) indicates that the service is alive.

--
I don't speak for HP.
Chaos, panic, & disorder - my work here is done.

HELP ODD PROBLEM

Post by Richard Rognli » Tue, 15 Jun 1999 04:00:00

The problem is that sendmail is not a POP daemon.  It is a SMTP daemon.
Sendmail just routes mail between machines or passes it to local delivery
agents (ala mail.local, procmail, etc) for delivery to a local mailbox.

You need to install something like qpopper (Qualcomm Popper) to answer
the POP requests.

Richard

--
 /  \__  | Richard Rognlie / Sendmail Consultant / Sendmail, Inc.
 \__/  \ | URL:    http://www.gamerz.net/rrognlie/
 /  \__/ | Give a man a fish, and he'll be hungry tomorrow.  Teach a
 \__/    | man to fish, and he'll be at the river all day drinking beer.

1. HELP: Odd Nickname problem

I am currently using Eudora 5.1 on OS9.1

I am having a problem getting rid of about 10 name/addresses in my:
Message>New Message To     window

I went through all the names in my addresses and did not find any of
those I see in that window.
From what I can remeber, they had been names/addresses I had deleted
quite some time ago.

I tried going through my entire addresses and taking each one off of the
"recepient" list... that did not work. It just left me the 10 I am
trying to get rid of.
I deleted all the names and addresses in the address book, and restarted
the app... same thing
Tried physically getting rid of the backup prefs, personal nicknames and
the address book... NO DICE.

Any one bump into this problem?
Please Help

thanks
Someone trying to avoid Outlook Express  ;-)
--
7De9

2. TRANSLATE MS WORD DOCS TO ASCII OR POSTSCRIPT IN VMS ENVIRONMENT

3. Help with odd tags in Pro 4.2.1

4. Administering the bandwidth

5. Help! Odd sendmail -bi errors.

6. new row for a {

7. Odd Password Problem

8. Help with peer to peer network topology

9. An odd solution to vanishing mailbox problem

10. very odd problem with smtpdfwdd

11. odd problems with recieving mail

12. odd sendmail-UUCP problem on FBSD 2.2.8

13. Odd 'User unknown' problem