cannot open '/etc/mail/trusted-users'

Post by Robert E. Harvey, M.D » Sun, 13 Apr 2003 04:50:55

I'm running sendmail on Red Hat 9.0  at home and have no problems
sending mail from the command line through mail or from php scripts.  I
until recently was able to to the same thing with RH 9.0 at my office.
I had a consultant come in and do some work on our LAN and since then
have been unable to use sendmail at the office.  I get the following
error message when trying to use sendmail via mail from the command line:

/etc/mail/submit.cf: line 525: fileclass:  cannot open
'/etc/mail/trusted-users': World writable directory

what can I do to trouble shoot this problem?

TIA

cannot open '/etc/mail/trusted-users'

Post by Mike McKenn » Sun, 13 Apr 2003 05:07:40

Quote:> I'm running sendmail on Red Hat 9.0  at home and have no problems
> sending mail from the command line through mail or from php scripts.  I
> until recently was able to to the same thing with RH 9.0 at my office.
> I had a consultant come in and do some work on our LAN and since then
> have been unable to use sendmail at the office.  I get the following
> error message when trying to use sendmail via mail from the command line:

> /etc/mail/submit.cf: line 525: fileclass:  cannot open
> '/etc/mail/trusted-users': World writable directory

> what can I do to trouble shoot this problem?

> TIA

Have you looked at the permissions of the directory?
Does the file even exist?

Mike

Post by Mike McKenn » Sun, 13 Apr 2003 05:15:14

> > I'm running sendmail on Red Hat 9.0  at home and have no problems
> > sending mail from the command line through mail or from php scripts.  I
> > until recently was able to to the same thing with RH 9.0 at my office.
> > I had a consultant come in and do some work on our LAN and since then
> > have been unable to use sendmail at the office.  I get the following
> > error message when trying to use sendmail via mail from the command
line:

> > /etc/mail/submit.cf: line 525: fileclass:  cannot open
> > '/etc/mail/trusted-users': World writable directory

> > what can I do to trouble shoot this problem?

> > TIA

> Have you looked at the permissions of the directory?
> Does the file even exist?

> Mike

Maybe this link will help?
http://www.sendmail.org/LockingAdvisory.txt

Mike

Post by Robert E. Harvey, M.D » Sun, 13 Apr 2003 05:44:12

>>I'm running sendmail on Red Hat 9.0  at home and have no problems
>>sending mail from the command line through mail or from php scripts.  I
>>until recently was able to to the same thing with RH 9.0 at my office.
>>I had a consultant come in and do some work on our LAN and since then
>>have been unable to use sendmail at the office.  I get the following
>>error message when trying to use sendmail via mail from the command line:

>>/etc/mail/submit.cf: line 525: fileclass:  cannot open
>>'/etc/mail/trusted-users': World writable directory

>>what can I do to trouble shoot this problem?

>>TIA

>Have you looked at the permissions of the directory?
>Does the file even exist?

>Mike

Yes, the file exists and I have looked at the permissions.  Initially
they were 766.  I changed them to 777 and still cannot get sendmail to work.

Bob

cannot open '/etc/mail/trusted-users'

Post by Rogge » Sun, 13 Apr 2003 05:51:30

Hi,
try
"chmod 0600 /etc/mail/trusted-users
and sendmail should stop complaining and begin its work.

the file "trusted-users" is a security hole if it is writable
by any other than the owner.

Ingo.

> >>I'm running sendmail on Red Hat 9.0  at home and have no problems
> >>sending mail from the command line through mail or from php scripts.  I
> >>until recently was able to to the same thing with RH 9.0 at my office.
> >>I had a consultant come in and do some work on our LAN and since then
> >>have been unable to use sendmail at the office.  I get the following
> >>error message when trying to use sendmail via mail from the command line:

> >>/etc/mail/submit.cf: line 525: fileclass:  cannot open
> >>'/etc/mail/trusted-users': World writable directory

> >>what can I do to trouble shoot this problem?

> >>TIA

> >Have you looked at the permissions of the directory?
> >Does the file even exist?

> >Mike

> Yes, the file exists and I have looked at the permissions.  Initially
> they were 766.  I changed them to 777 and still cannot get sendmail to work.

> Bob

cannot open '/etc/mail/trusted-users'

Post by Deke Clinge » Sun, 13 Apr 2003 15:44:07

Quote:

>>Yes, the file exists and I have looked at the permissions.  Initially
>>they were 766.  I changed them to 777 and still cannot get sendmail to work.

>>Bob

You need to make /etc/mail/ something like 755 and this file something
like 644.

-Deke

1. cannot open '/etc/mail/sendmail.cw': Permission denied

Hello, All!
I've got a problem while testing new sendmail.cf & sendmail.cw files
w/permissions

root#cat sendmail-tim.cf | grep Fw
Fw/etc/mail/sendmail.cw

root# sendmail -bt -Csendmail-tim.cf
wind-tim.cf: line 81: fileclass: cannot open '/etc/mail/sendmail.cw':
Permission denied

root# ls -l /etc/mail/sendmail.cw
-rwxrwxrwx  1 root  wheel  21 Jan 30 17:10 /etc/mail/sendmail.cw

Is 777 is not enough? :)
Did I miss somthing?

Thanks
Tim Ivanov.

2. Remote Sunview on my PC?

3. cannot open '/etc/mail/local-host-names'

4. Index.htm vs index.html

5. cannot open '/etc/mail/local-host-names

6. LARGE \int and \sum in LaTeX: need help

7. Blocking spam from 'trusted' users?

8. 3rd Email Truth

9. SM V8, Best way to deliver 'local' mail to user not in /etc/passwd??

10. I'm and ex-MSN8 user who cannot send mail to other MSN mail users

11. /etc/sendmail.cf: line 60: fileclass: cannot open /etc/mail/sendmail.cw

12. Cannot open ../feature/'virtusertable'.m4: No such file or directory

13. How to turn local 'user' into 'user@fulldomain' ?