How to configure sendmail when addressing by IP addresses (user@[ip-address-of-sendmail-host])?

Post by Joli » Wed, 22 May 2002 15:30:51

Hello,

Been searching through google for help but couldn't find what I need.  I'm
try to send mail to my server using it's IP address.  I'm fine sending mail

fails giving me a nice message in the maillog:

config error: mail loops back to me

I do the same, but this time, I write the email from another machine to

relay=blah.c003.blah.blah.net [119.228.222.229], reject=550 5.7.1

Any clues?  I already modified /etc/mail/access and added the sendmail
host's IP address there.

Thanks

Post by Per Hedela » Thu, 23 May 2002 08:00:28

>Been searching through google for help but couldn't find what I need.  I'm
>try to send mail to my server using it's IP address.  I'm fine sending mail

>fails giving me a nice message in the maillog:

>config error: mail loops back to me

>I do the same, but this time, I write the email from another machine to

>relay=blah.c003.blah.blah.net [119.228.222.229], reject=550 5.7.1

>Any clues?  I already modified /etc/mail/access and added the sendmail
>host's IP address there.

That's not what you need to do. Normally sendmail figures out all the
local IP addresses itself and adds them to the list of "local"
destinations (class w) - if that doesn't work for some reason (e.g.
you're using confDONT_PROBE_INTERFACES, or "reverse NAT" is involved),
you have to tell sendmail that the address is "local". I.e.  add
[119.228.222.229] to /etc/mail/local-host-names.

--Per Hedeland

1. Virtual hosts - IP based using own IP address

I am certain this is "out there" but searching google, I either don't
get the answer or get far too many hits.

Is their a how-to or detail info on setting up current versions (8.10
or later) such that mail is sent from the virtual domains's IP
address, not the main host's IP address?

Thanks in advance

gerry

~~

gerry mispelled in email address to confuse robots

www.gogood.com

2. Please help with vectorization

3. E-mail address question: ip address in place of host name?

4. Ghost drive imaging utility ODI and various network cards.

5. HELP?!? FILE FORMATS!

6. sendmail should bind only to one ip address on machine with more addresses

7. MESSAGE 21 06

8. Configure sendmail to only accept traffic from one IP address

9. Configuring sendmail for use with dynamic IP address

10. "user@local.ip.address" is passed to mail relay host

11. How to allow user to use sendmail without a Static IP address?

12. How to use virtual user's IP address on sendmail?