New Active Portal on Computers - Software - Internet - Servers - Mail

New Active Portal on Computers - Software - Internet - Servers - Mail

Post by repor.. » Tue, 28 Mar 2000 04:00:00

We have developed a new Active Portal web page on

Computers - Software - Internet - Servers - Mail

It has links to hundreds of pages. Please check it out! Thanks.

The address is:

http://www.active-portal.com/cgi-bin/genpage?cat=1005499

This page has been developed as part of the Active Portal
Project in the Computer Science Department at the University of
Wisconsin, an ongoing research project.

An active portal is a page devoted to a particular topic
but with a difference.

The active portal is seeded with a number of a pages known
to be about a topic. A search agent then learns the
characteristics of those pages and then seeks out similar pages.
This search agent runs automatically and continuously. Thus the
active portal, unlike manually-compiled portals like Yahoo,
continually discovers new pages about a topic. In addition,
it ranks a page based on a combined measure of its popularity
and content level.

The active portal also features a sign-up box for a mailing
list that is used to alert its members to new pages that the
search agent discovers.

Please feel free to reply to this message with any comments.

Best regards,

Matt Zeidenberg
University of Wisconsin
Computer Science Dept.

1. New Computer and New Mail Server

I am getting a new computer this week and changing from a Macintosh to a
PC with Windows XP. I am getting Microsoft Office installed, which
includes Outlook as the Mail service. I have been using Eudora Light for
several years, and have liked it for the most part. (In fact, I had tried
an upgraded version of Eudora, and also Quickmail Pro from work, and
returned back to Eudora Light. I got tired of the ads in the upgraded
version of Eudora.)

I am wondering if any of you have had any experiences, positive or
negative, with Outlook. I also wonder if there is a quick and dirty way to
get my Mailboxes, etc. exported to my new computer. Since they are
different platforms, I am not sure what is the best way to do it.

Thanks for any ideas or help.

2. Problem with Visit button in VM-7.07

3. Transfer e-mail to new software/computer?

4. Any good fax add-on's for SBS??

5. NEW COMPUTER BUSINESS IN INTERNET MAILING!!!

6. Voyager Printing Trouble

7. New free NetMeeting Peer-to-Peer Portal

8. Replication prevention ?

9. New Free NetMeeting Peer-to-Peer Portal

10. RFV: New version of the Multihouse Mail Server Software

11. transfer of emails and addresses from old computer to new computer

12. TeleCon Report: new headset, new whiteboard, new multipoint server, new H.323 to H.320 gateways

13. Internet Mail Server Settings for different Email Software