How does my application communicate with internet mail?

How does my application communicate with internet mail?

Post by Yao-Sheng Chen » Sun, 17 Aug 1997 04:00:00

I want to develop an application that can send attached files to Internet
Mail or Outlook Express Mail.

I have done some observation:

The functions of Internet Mail/News are embedded in mailnews.dll.
I think it is an OLE server after I have tried to find information in
Registry. Is there any documentation about how to communicate
with mailnews.dll?

The Outlook Express Mail is statup by calling msimn.exe /mail.
But I still cannot send attached files to it via command-line
arguments.

Where can I find some documents about the question?
Thank you for your help.

                                Yao-Sheng Cheng

How does my application communicate with internet mail?

Post by Michael Santove » Sun, 17 Aug 1997 04:00:00

Internet Mail and Outlook Express don't support interaction with other
programs.  That requires MAPI (Mail Application Program Interface).
Internet Mail and Outlook Express don't support that.  They are intended as
light weight, low overhead mail programs.

The Exchange, Windows Messaging, Outlook97 family of mail programs support
MAPI.

Quote:> I want to develop an application that can send attached files to Internet
> Mail or Outlook Express Mail.

> I have done some observation:

> The functions of Internet Mail/News are embedded in mailnews.dll.
> I think it is an OLE server after I have tried to find information in
> Registry. Is there any documentation about how to communicate
> with mailnews.dll?

> The Outlook Express Mail is statup by calling msimn.exe /mail.
> But I still cannot send attached files to it via command-line
> arguments.

> Where can I find some documents about the question?
> Thank you for your help.

>                            Yao-Sheng Cheng

1. Email packages for DOS-UNIX and DOS-DOS

A client is looking for an email package that will work for both
DOS-UNIX and DOS-DOS (e.g., thru something like PC-NFS).  "Ideally,
a UNIX mail workalike", so they say.

I'm sorry if this question is repeated dozens of times in the mail
newsgroups, but I haven't been following 'em.  Please don't magnify
this by following up; please *email* me any such recommendations.
If this subject hasn't been beaten to death and there is interest, I
will post a summary.  Thanks a bunch.

--

         {pyramid|uunet}!infmx!aland                 "I want to live!
   --------------------------------------------       as an honest man,

2. Processor speeds: Instructions/clock?

3. PC Pine keeps on doing an "Application Error"

4. Multible Field Values

5. RDS of Full Screen Dos application

6. Microsoft Directory Synchronization Services and Novell

7. Application error in Internet Mail

8. corrupt/missing pkzip disk one of 11

9. Multiple POP servers in INTERNET MAIL application

10. Dos Cuentas de email en Internet Mail

11. Transferring Internet Mail to Outlook - Anyone Done This?

12. How do mail servers communicate ... ?

13. MS Mail for Win3.1 'Cannot communicate with Server' msg