How to forward email from backup email server to single email host?

How to forward email from backup email server to single email host?

Post by Wayne Y » Thu, 12 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Hi,

We have a primary email server at pririoty 10
and backup email server at 20.  From time to
time some email get overflowed into the backup
email server.  Other than let users to pick
their email from both servers, how can I make
them to appear in a single email directory?

If you can post and email me the answer, in
case I missed the posting, I will really
appreciate the help!

How to forward email from backup email server to single email host?

Post by Paul Hethm » Fri, 13 Mar 1998 04:00:00

-->
-->Hi,
-->
-->We have a primary email server at pririoty 10
-->and backup email server at 20.  From time to
-->time some email get overflowed into the backup
-->email server.  Other than let users to pick
-->their email from both servers, how can I make
-->them to appear in a single email directory?

They shouldn't have to unless you have something set up wrong. The
server at MX 20 should just hold the mail until it can forward
to the primary server.

If it's not forwarding, then it sounds like you've told the secondary
that it is the primary in the aliases setup.

Inet.Mail Internet Mail Server                     http://www.hethmon.com
Author   "Illustrated Guide to HTTP"   http://www.manning.com/Hethmon?882
Warpstock    --    Tune In! & Warp Out!    --    http://www.warpstock.org

1. Ensim system won't feed email to virtual host mailboxes or forward email

We have just started with one of Advanced Web Hosting's Linux boxes for
several hundred web sites that our volunteer organization (the Genesee
Gateway) makes available to non-profit organizations in our area.

Advanced Web Hosting, has, shall we say, been less than great in helping us
solve the following problem with email.

Email does not work on this machine to any of the accounts that we have
established!

As per an rpm -q query this machine is running:

sendmail-8.11.1-ensim3

on a Linux 6.0 with a 2.2.12-20ensim kernel .

Mail seems stuck in the sendmail queue. You can't read mail sent to a
popmail account and you can't use the popmail account to send mail out.

Here is what seems to be a typical segment from the maillog:

del
ay=3+20:00:23, xdelay=00:00:00, mailer=virthostmail, pri=15600490,
relay=bachkid
susa.org, dsn=4.0.0, stat=Deferred: Connection reset by ns1.rfnweb.com
Jun  8 18:13:06 ns1 virthostmail[9640]: Domain bachkidsusa.org chrooting to
/hom
e/virtual/bku-admin
Jun  8 18:13:06 ns1 virthostmail[9640]: Cannot change euid to 0 failed 1
Jun  8 18:13:06 ns1 sendmail[9604]: f552Ig420518: smtpquit: mailer
virthostmail
exited with exit value 25

My less than expert knowledge suggests that there is a permissions problem
somewhere.

The permissions for bku-admin are:

drwxr-xr-x  11 root     root         4096 Jun  3 10:58 bku-admin

Based on this information it looks to me like DNS is working and email is
reaching sendmail but sendmail can't deliver it locally.

Can anyone point me to the cause or at least let me know something useful to
checkout?

thanks!

Michael Slade

Genesee Gateway

2. Novell utils

3. how to do email forwarding more than 1 email address in virtual hosting .

4. Font needed: UNIVERS CONDENSED true type font

5. email server inhouse to download email from a web hosting company

6. Catalyst 2820 upgrade ios

7. Route All email for one domain to a single email address HOW???

8. SparcStation LX & ISDN

9. How do I forward all email of a domain to a single address

10. back-up all e-mail at relay host

11. local backup of email sent over smtp-server

12. Backup e-mail servers

13. how to configure sendmail on RH8.0 server to forward email to internal exchange server