System 8 Internet Access: how to configure for Eudora?

System 8 Internet Access: how to configure for Eudora?

Post by Jean-Michel Mign » Wed, 14 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Hi,
Does anybody know what is the procedure to define Eudora, rather than Claris
E-mailer, as the default mail program to be launched when I double-click on
the "Mail" desktop icon (same question for replacing Netscape by IE).
Sorry, this seems to be a trivial question but I could not find any
information in the various help files supplied with the system upgrade.
Thanks

Jean-Michel Mignot

Please answer to me directly and I will post a summary.

Post by Ron Bisch » Wed, 14 Jan 1998 04:00:00

~Hi,
~Does anybody know what is the procedure to define Eudora, rather than Claris
~E-mailer, as the default mail program to be launched when I double-click on
~the "Mail" desktop icon (same question for replacing Netscape by IE).
~Sorry, this seems to be a trivial question but I could not find any
~information in the various help files supplied with the system upgrade.
~Thanks
~
~Jean-Michel Mignot
~
In OS 8, what is activated by the Mail or Browse the Internet desktop
icons are determined by Internet Config.

If you've retained defaults, it will be in the Internet Folder. Open
Internet Config, click on the Helpers icon, select mailto and choose the
mail client of choice.

Ron Bischof
Bischof Consulting Services
http://home.pacbell.net/bconsvcs/

PGP Keys: http://pgp.ai.mit.edu/
In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an
invincible summer. - Camus

System 8 Internet Access: how to configure for Eudora?

Post by Gordon B. All » Wed, 14 Jan 1998 04:00:00

In article

>~Hi,
>~Does anybody know what is the procedure to define Eudora, rather than Claris
>~E-mailer, as the default mail program to be launched when I double-click on
>~the "Mail" desktop icon (same question for replacing Netscape by IE).
>~Sorry, this seems to be a trivial question but I could not find any
>~information in the various help files supplied with the system upgrade.
>~Thanks
>~
>~Jean-Michel Mignot
>~
>In OS 8, what is activated by the Mail or Browse the Internet desktop
>icons are determined by Internet Config.

>If you've retained defaults, it will be in the Internet Folder. Open
>Internet Config, click on the Helpers icon, select mailto and choose the
>mail client of choice.

I can confirm this.  The Mail icon starts Eudora Pro on my Mac.  I'm
pretty sure the "Browse the Internet" icon uses IC to select the Web
browser in the same way.

--

--Gordon Alley  <*>

System 8 Internet Access: how to configure for Eudora?

Post by Rik Rasmuss » Thu, 15 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>>If you've retained defaults, it will be in the Internet Folder. Open
>>Internet Config, click on the Helpers icon, select mailto and choose the
>>mail client of choice.

>I can confirm this.  The Mail icon starts Eudora Pro on my Mac.  I'm
>pretty sure the "Browse the Internet" icon uses IC to select the Web
>browser in the same way.

I am sure this is correct, BUT, the Mail icon on mine brings up an alert
that the helper app can't be found. The Browse icon works fine. I have it
working fine on one Mac but not on the other. Changing the helper in IC did
not fix it. I have not deleted IC prefs yet but will try that next.

Rik Rasmussen         Direct Call, Inc.         Durham/Raleigh, NC   USA

                     Amateur Radio: WA4BAN

Post by Gordon B. All » Thu, 15 Jan 1998 04:00:00

>>>If you've retained defaults, it will be in the Internet Folder. Open
>>>Internet Config, click on the Helpers icon, select mailto and choose the
>>>mail client of choice.

>>I can confirm this.  The Mail icon starts Eudora Pro on my Mac.  I'm
>>pretty sure the "Browse the Internet" icon uses IC to select the Web
>>browser in the same way.

>I am sure this is correct, BUT, the Mail icon on mine brings up an alert
>that the helper app can't be found. The Browse icon works fine. I have it
>working fine on one Mac but not on the other. Changing the helper in IC did
>not fix it. I have not deleted IC prefs yet but will try that next.

I just opened Internet Config and changed the "mailto" helper to Tex-Edit
Plus (a text editor).  After saving the change, I double clicked the
"Mail" icon on my desktop, and voila!, Tex-Edit launched.  I reopened it
and changed it back to Eudora Pro, and again "Mail" launches Eudora.

You must have a problem in Internet Config.  What version do you have?
Mine is v1.3.  Deleting the IC prefs might be a good idea, but you had
better make a record of all the current settings.

--

--Gordon Alley  <*>

Post by Eg » Thu, 15 Jan 1998 04:00:00

> Hi,
> Does anybody know what is the procedure to define Eudora, rather than Claris
> E-mailer, as the default mail program to be launched when I double-click on
> the "Mail" desktop icon (same question for replacing Netscape by IE).
> Sorry, this seems to be a trivial question but I could not find any
> information in the various help files supplied with the system upgrade.
> Thanks

1. Click on E-mailer Icon.
2. Do a CMD-I
3. Click on the icon within the get info box
4. Do a CMD-C
5. Click on Eudora application icon
6. Do step 2&3
7. Do a CMD-V
8. Close all windows

Post by Ron Bisch » Thu, 15 Jan 1998 04:00:00

~
~1. Click on E-mailer Icon.
~2. Do a CMD-I
~3. Click on the icon within the get info box
~4. Do a CMD-C
~5. Click on Eudora application icon
~6. Do step 2&3
~7. Do a CMD-V
~8. Close all windows

While this will change the icon, it won't change the email client
configuration. That has to be done in Internet Config.

Post by Gordon B. All » Fri, 16 Jan 1998 04:00:00

>> Hi,
>> Does anybody know what is the procedure to define Eudora, rather than Claris
>> E-mailer, as the default mail program to be launched when I double-click on
>> the "Mail" desktop icon (same question for replacing Netscape by IE).
>> Sorry, this seems to be a trivial question but I could not find any
>> information in the various help files supplied with the system upgrade.
>> Thanks

>1. Click on E-mailer Icon.
>2. Do a CMD-I
>3. Click on the icon within the get info box
>4. Do a CMD-C
>5. Click on Eudora application icon
>6. Do step 2&3
>7. Do a CMD-V
>8. Close all windows

That procedure will just change the Eurdora application icon so that it
looks like Claris Emailer.  I don't really think that that is the desired
result.
:-)

--

--Gordon Alley  <*>

1. help configuring audio in system with both audio card and video capture card???

It seems to be a common topic in this group, but even after doing some
research with DejaNews for a while, I can't seem to straighten out
problems I am having configuring the audio to work correctly.

I suspect that I need to run audio jumper cables between the various
cards on my machine, but I really am not sure what to plug to what. The
other thing is that it looks like both the video capture card and the
soundcard have audio drivers, and I'm not sure how to configure so that
the correct one takes precendence in the right applications. If you can
help out by giving step-by-step instructions, or point me to an existing
FAQ somewhere I'd be grateful!

The situation is this:

- running win95 on a P133 with 48MB RAM that is a couple years old

- NetMeeting 2.0, I just downloaded 2.1 - any comments on whether is a
significant improvement over v2.0?

- I have a diamond soundblaster 16 card with:
        - line in
        - mic in
        - line out
        - spkr out
- a diamond video card (from Supra Video Kit) with
        -s-vid in
        - vid in
        - ?? sound (not labeled whether it's in or out)
- modem card with
        - spkr
        - mic

Thanx a lot.... if you would prefer to email off-line, you need to
remove the anti-spam _ from my reply address

Dan

2. serial conversion question

3. Configuring MH for a system without SMTP

4. DOS .EXE file check sum computation

5. Configuring system-wide "Reply-To:" header

6. dsl security

7. Help Needed; "This system is not configured to relay mail...."

8. Is "www.gamers.org" no longer active?

9. How do you configure sendmail for a gateway/firewall system?

10. Needing some ideas and information about configuring a mail system.

11. Configuring mh for NetBSD 386 system

12. access and rbl configure

13. Configuring Sendmail from deny access to a Null user from a certain domain???