Stuck processes when processing queue groups

Stuck processes when processing queue groups

Post by tfpep » Wed, 12 Jun 2002 11:15:08

I'm running sendmail 8.12.3 in background mode with persistent queue runners
for about 150 queue groups on multiple servers. ?(sendmail -bd -qp15 -R
hdrs).Once in a while, we will notice mail queueing up in a queue group on
one server but delivering correctly on all other servers. ?A list of sendmail
processes shows the persistent process running, but no mail is delivered. ?A
check of the hoststat shows the site with a status of OK. ?If we restart
sendmail, or sometimes if we kill the persistent process, mail will start
flowing again. ?We experienced this problem while running 8.12.1 and we were
hoping upgrading to 8.12.3 would fix this problem. ?Any assistance would be
greatly appreciated. ? If i need to provide any additional information or
files, please let me know.

Post by Claus A?man » Wed, 26 Jun 2002 00:33:52

> I'm running sendmail 8.12.3 in background mode with persistent queue runners
> for about 150 queue groups on multiple servers. (sendmail -bd -qp15 -R
> hdrs).Once in a while, we will notice mail queueing up in a queue group on

-R hdrs doesn't apply to the daemon, only to mail submission.

Quote:> one server but delivering correctly on all other servers. A list of sendmail
> processes shows the persistent process running, but no mail is delivered.
> check of the hoststat shows the site with a status of OK. If we restart
> sendmail, or sometimes if we kill the persistent process, mail will start
> flowing again. We experienced this problem while running 8.12.1 and we were
> hoping upgrading to 8.12.3 would fix this problem. Any assistance would be
> greatly appreciated.  If i need to provide any additional information or
> files, please let me know.

Please use strace/ktrace/truss/... to figure out what the process is doing.

Even better: compile sendmail with -g and attach a de* to a stuck
process. Then step through it to see where it is and where/why it
loops.

Post the output of those traces and tell us more about your OS
and the compile time options for sendmail.

PS: what are those "?" in your article?

--
If you feel the urgent wish to send me a courtesy copy of a Usenet
posting, then make sure it's recognizable as such!

1. Mailbox is open by another process. What process?!

Greetings -
While we usually see the process that is preventing Pine from opening
the mailbox, in this case we do not know wtf process is holding it up.
From the .pine-debug file(s), we see:

.pine-debug1:IMAP 15:13:04 10/16 mm_log warn: Mailbox is open by another
process, access is readonly

I went on my own and tried to open a single INBOX in two different
sessions and naturally got the process ID that had the INBOX opened.  A
check on this specific user's current processes revealed that no other
process with her UID was running Pine, there is not lock file in the
INBOX directory, the spool directory is empty, the permissions on the
incoming mail directory is set at 1777, and even SIGHUP'd sendmail.  All
to no avail and again, it is a curious thing that this is happening to
only one user.  Should I delete their .pinerc and have them run and
reconfig?  Or do you have another idea on how to resolve this error?
Thanks for your attention to this matter.

-Robert

Transportation Data Center, MIS
University of Michigan Transportation Research Institute
2901 Baxter Rd, Ann Arbor, Michigan USA  48109-2150

2. Possible XEmacs 19.14 bug with paths and symlinks

3. Sending child process and receiving child process

4. Ado Question

5. Multiple sendmail/procmail processes stuck and growing

6. difference between 3.23.41 3.23.32.

7. why sometimes multiple sendmail procs but usu only parent and 1 child when processing queue?

8. AmiElm help

9. cmd line way to reduce DNS lookup timeout when processing the queue (-q)?

10. How to set queue processing times

11. Mail queue has messages that don't get processed

12. Limit number of queued messages being processed?

13. How to limit queue processing