importing recipient list from Eudora Light 1.5.4 to Eudora 5.1?

importing recipient list from Eudora Light 1.5.4 to Eudora 5.1?

Post by Carlos Alde » Mon, 10 Sep 2001 23:26:34

Hello, O knowledgeable Eudoraphiles:

I would like to transfer my recipient list from my old Eudora Light, on
an iMac, to the new Eudora 5.1 free version, on my iBook. I can't seem
to do this.  I have tried the importing mail command, but it only gives
me Clairis emailer, Outlook Express, and "search" options, and when I do
the search I can't find the folder in the old Eudora which has those
settings.   I don't want the old posts, I don't want the mailbox
organization, I don't want the settings, I just want the old address
list.

From tinkering, I THINK that the recipient list may be in the "Settings"
file, but even so I can't get the new Eudora to import that.  I thought
I could get clever and first import the old information into OE and THEN
into the new Eudora, but I can't do that either.

ANy suggestions other than hand-typing each address (which, at this
point, would have been faster if I had done that in the first place)?

TIA,

Carlos Alden

Post by Kathy I. Morg » Tue, 11 Sep 2001 01:26:59

> I would like to transfer my recipient list from my old Eudora Light, on
> an iMac, to the new Eudora 5.1 free version, on my iBook. I can't seem
> to do this.  I have tried the importing mail command, but it only gives
> me Clairis emailer, Outlook Express, and "search" options, and when I do
> the search I can't find the folder in the old Eudora which has those
> settings.   I don't want the old posts, I don't want the mailbox
> organization, I don't want the settings, I just want the old address
> list.

Copy the file Eudora Nicknames from the iMac to the iBook. :-)

--
Kathy

help for new users of newsgroups <http://www.aptalaska.net/%7Ekmorgan>
Good Net Keeping Seal of Approval at <http://www.gnksa.org/>

Post by Peter Cereso » Tue, 11 Sep 2001 06:50:14

>I would like to transfer my recipient list from my old Eudora Light, on
>an iMac, to the new Eudora 5.1 free version, on my iBook.

Try transferring "Eudora nicknames", in the Eudora folder, to your new
folder.

--
Peter

importing recipient list from Eudora Light 1.5.4 to Eudora 5.1?

Post by Hank Zimmerma » Tue, 11 Sep 2001 09:32:42

Quote:>From tinkering, I THINK that the recipient list may be in the "Settings"
>file, but even so I can't get the new Eudora to import that.  I thought
>I could get clever and first import the old information into OE and THEN
>into the new Eudora, but I can't do that either.

The short answer:
Copy over the Eudora Nicknames file

This will give you all of your old nicknames in the new Address Book
(accessed through the Window menu). You will have to actually add them
to the Recipient list, however. (The Recipient List is the list of
nicknames found in "New Message To")

You can add them to the recipient list by selecting the address in the
Address Book and checking "Recipient List" (upper-right corner)

Long answer:
While the nicknames and addresses is saved in the Eudora Settings file,
the list of nicknames that appears in your Recipient List is actually
stored in the Eudora Settings file.

You can try moving over your older copy of the Eudora Settings file and
see if Eudora 5.1 will be able to use it.

Either way, the addresses are saved in the Eudora Nicknames file.
Whether or not they are displayed in the New Message To menu is in the
Eudora Settings file.
--
Hank Zimmerman maintains the comp.mail.eudora.mac FAQ
It can be found at <http://www.ka.net/eudora/faqs/>

importing recipient list from Eudora Light 1.5.4 to Eudora 5.1?

Post by Carlos Alde » Tue, 11 Sep 2001 10:35:52

Thank you all for your responses to my question.   I had tried copying
the system eudora folder onto my iBook, thinking that when I DID know
the folder in which the recipient list resided I would then be able to
easily copy it.  I was fooling around, and accidentally opened the new
Eudora from clicking on the settings file in the old version, and -much
to my surprise - there is the list of recipients.   I am constantly
amazed and somewhat baffled at the inner workings of this computer.  A
few settings, some tinkering, a little mojo, and things usually do what
they are supposed to.

Carlos

1. Eudora Light to Eudora 5.1 (OS X) settings

[crossposted to comp.mail.eudora.mac, no f'ups set, but they really
ought to go to comp.mail.eudora.mac]

Under 9.x, Eudora normally expects to find the Eudora Folder in the
Documents folder, instead of in the System Folder.  Moving it might help
with the problems you're seeing.  (I'm not sure about that, but it can't
hurt to try.)

I'm not sure what you're saying.  The Eudora beta for OS X does have
slightly different menus, but if you're using an alias pointing back to
the Eudora Folder in OS 9, you should be seeing the same mailboxes.  I'm
guessing that maybe you have two Eudora Folders, one under Documents and
one in the 9.x System folder, and Eudora 5.1 (for OS 9) is looking at
one folder while the alias is pointing the OS beta at a different
folder.

Again, I suspect that the two versions of Eudora are looking at
different Eudora Folders.  I don't understand this behavior, though.

Eudora doesn't use Internet Config unless you've specially configured it
to do so, but the comparable panel in OS X is System Preferences |
Internet (and Eudora doesn't use it unless you specially configure it to
do so).

--
Kathy

help for new users of newsgroups at <http://www.aptalaska.net/~kmorgan/>
Good Net Keeping Seal of Approval at <http://www.gnksa.org/>

2. FrontPage Database Question

3. Eudora Light email, knickname list export/import

4. CVS on VMS hangs after checkout

5. Importing Address Books from Netscape to Eudora 5.1

6. DNS question

7. StartUp Help: Eudora 5.1 (OS X) Importing from 4.3

8. Earthlink DSL experiences??

9. Importing from Office 2001 Entourage to Eudora 5.1

10. Importing Eudora 5.1 paid address book into Pegasus 4.01

11. Transferring Eudora Light 3.1.3 Nicknames and Recipient Lists Between Macs

12. Eudora Light recipient list

13. How to Hotsync Eudora 5.1 with Eudora Palm on Handspring Visor Deluxe using MultiMail Pro Conduit?