Mailbox is open by another process. What process?!

Mailbox is open by another process. What process?!

Post by jimi » Thu, 18 Oct 2001 05:46:51

Greetings -
While we usually see the process that is preventing Pine from opening
the mailbox, in this case we do not know wtf process is holding it up.
From the .pine-debug file(s), we see:

.pine-debug1:IMAP 15:13:04 10/16 mm_log warn: Mailbox is open by another
process, access is readonly

I went on my own and tried to open a single INBOX in two different
sessions and naturally got the process ID that had the INBOX opened.  A
check on this specific user's current processes revealed that no other
process with her UID was running Pine, there is not lock file in the
INBOX directory, the spool directory is empty, the permissions on the
incoming mail directory is set at 1777, and even SIGHUP'd sendmail.  All
to no avail and again, it is a curious thing that this is happening to
only one user.  Should I delete their .pinerc and have them run and
reconfig?  Or do you have another idea on how to resolve this error?
Thanks for your attention to this matter.

-Robert

Transportation Data Center, MIS
University of Michigan Transportation Research Institute
2901 Baxter Rd, Ann Arbor, Michigan USA  48109-2150

Post by Mark Crispi » Thu, 18 Oct 2001 06:50:57

> While we usually see the process that is preventing Pine from opening
> the mailbox, in this case we do not know wtf process is holding it up.
> From the .pine-debug file(s), we see:

> .pine-debug1:IMAP 15:13:04 10/16 mm_log warn: Mailbox is open by another
> process, access is readonly

Is /tmp protected at the proper 1777?

Is there an old lock file on /tmp that is protected other than 0666?  It
will have a name of the form /tmp/.##.########, where # is substituted
with hex digits.

If there is an old lock file lying around, get rid of it.  If you hacked
Pine so that lock files aren't protected 0666...well, you have just
learned why lock files are protected 0666.

-- Mark --

http://staff.washington.edu/mrc

Post by jimi » Thu, 18 Oct 2001 22:56:58

> > While we usually see the process that is preventing Pine from opening
> > the mailbox, in this case we do not know wtf process is holding it up.
> > From the .pine-debug file(s), we see:

> > .pine-debug1:IMAP 15:13:04 10/16 mm_log warn: Mailbox is open by another
> > process, access is readonly

> Is /tmp protected at the proper 1777?

BINGO!  no precense of lock files but definate weirdness on /tmp's
permissions.
Thanks oodles, Mark.
.rs

1. Mailbox open by another process, access is readonly

Hello,

Mutt crashed on me. It hanged while I was getting an IMAP folder list.
I killed the session, but now when I restart a session I get the message
"Mailbox open by another process, access is readonly"
I checked with `ps` and there's no mutt running. Does mutt put some lock
somewhere? If so how to remove it?

Thanks
-Jeroen-

2. Getting keyboard input from a MEX function

3. Mailbox is open by another process

4. ActiveX Controls

5. Mailbox is open by another process, access is read-only

6. Computer architecture questions

7. Cannot open mailbox (in use by another process?)

8. Rainbow RSX-86 disks needed, manuals help

9. Stuck processes when processing queue groups

10. Sending child process and receiving child process

11. Linux - Am I understanding the SENDMAIL process correctly?

12. Stale process with 'user open' text