Set "From" and "Reply-To" fields: how to?

Set "From" and "Reply-To" fields: how to?

Post by Eduardo Chapp » Tue, 22 Aug 2000 04:00:00

newsgroup about "Set "From" and "Reply-To" fields: how to?" on Aug 22,
2000:

:) Pine used to supply the correct From field, but i've been struggling
:) with the last year or two's versions of pine, because they don't
:) allow me to prescribe my correct User ID, or the From field, or the
:) Reply-To field, neither in a message, nor in .pinerc.
:)
:) Why is this?

Edit your pinerc file, add "allow-changing-from" under feature-list=, and
make sure you add "From:" to your list of default-composer-hdrs. You can
also add "Reply-To:" to this list.

--
Eduardo
http://www.math.washington.edu/~chappa/pine/

Post by Geoffrey Tobi » Wed, 23 Aug 2000 14:34:46

Pine used to supply the correct From field,
but i've been struggling with the last year
or two's versions of pine, because they
don't allow me to prescribe my correct User ID,
or the From field, or the Reply-To field,
neither in a message, nor in .pinerc.

Why is this?

And how do i fix it?

--
Best wishes!
Geoffrey Tobin

WWW:    http://www.ee.latrobe.edu.au/~gt/gt.html

Post by Geoffrey Tobi » Wed, 23 Aug 2000 04:00:00

> Edit your pinerc file, add "allow-changing-from" under feature-list=, and
> make sure you add "From:" to your list of default-composer-hdrs. You can
> also add "Reply-To:" to this list.

Yes, thanks, done that, it worked fine.

But, as the multitude of related questions indicates,
pine's behavior in this regard is highly counter-intuitive.

If the developers are trying to protect the world from fake user-id's
then:

(1) it won't work (crooks won't be as daunted as the casual user), and
(2) the vexation and suffering caused to countless pine users far
outweighs any benefits.

--
Best wishes!
Geoffrey Tobin

WWW:    http://www.ee.latrobe.edu.au/~gt/gt.html

Set "From" and "Reply-To" fields: how to?

Post by Bruc » Thu, 24 Aug 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> Edit your pinerc file, add "allow-changing-from" under feature-list=,
and
> make sure you add "From:" to your list of default-composer-hdrs. You
can
> also add "Reply-To:" to this list.

I've done this and it allows me to change the From when composing a
message. However, my problem is that my system uid is different than my
email address and I don't want Pine to pick up my system uid. I want to
be able to specify my full email address to populate the From.

Thanks,
Bruce

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Post by Scott Leibran » Thu, 24 Aug 2000 04:00:00

> > Edit your pinerc file, add "allow-changing-from" under feature-list=, and
> > make sure you add "From:" to your list of default-composer-hdrs. You can
> > also add "Reply-To:" to this list.

> I've done this and it allows me to change the From when composing a
> message. However, my problem is that my system uid is different than my
> email address and I don't want Pine to pick up my system uid. I want to
> be able to specify my full email address to populate the From.

You should be able to do that by following the directions above.  Are you
having trouble getting anything to work?

--
Scott Leibrand

http://students.washington.edu/leibrand
* RCW 19.190 notice: This email address is located in Washington State. *
* Unsolicited commercial email may be billed $500 per message.          *

Post by Geoffrey Tobi » Sat, 26 Aug 2000 04:00:00

> I've done this and it allows me to change the From when composing a
> message. However, my problem is that my system uid is different than my
> email address and I don't want Pine to pick up my system uid. I want to
> be able to specify my full email address to populate the From.

See, Eduardo, that's exactly my (now solved, thanks!) problem.
It's a more common situation than the developers appear to have
anticipated.

--
Best wishes!
Geoffrey Tobin

WWW:    http://www.ee.latrobe.edu.au/~gt/gt.html

Set "From" and "Reply-To" fields: how to?

Post by Geoffrey Tobi » Sat, 26 Aug 2000 04:00:00

To be more constructive (i was expecting you to have already received
this response from the Eduardo, Nancy, or one of the other Pine
helpers),
the user-id can be changed in Unix Pine by adding the following line
to your personal ".pinerc" file.

(I still think this is obscure, but it works in recent Pine versions,
to my great and long-awaited relief.)

> I've done this and it allows me to change the From when composing a
> message. However, my problem is that my system uid is different than my
> email address and I don't want Pine to pick up my system uid. I want to
> be able to specify my full email address to populate the From.

--
Best wishes!
Geoffrey Tobin

WWW:    http://www.ee.latrobe.edu.au/~gt/gt.html

1. extracting the "from" or "reply-to" field?

I'm trying to define an mhl-form file that extracts the
address in the Reply-To: field or the From: field.  I've
been using formail -rx To: to do this, and I think it's
sensitive to different formats -- it seems to work fine

So, I thought I'd use mhl instead.  Trouble is, the
man file on mhl is of VERY little help -- it doesn't
at all explain all the %'s and >'s you find in form
files.  I've been able to get by with fiddling with
previously written form files, but this one has me

to be returned, and I don't know how to do this.  I thought
something like:

%(lit)%(formataddr %<{from}%|%<{reply-to}%|%{sender}%>%>)\
%<(nonnull)%(void(width))%(putaddr)\n%>\

would work, but mhl gives me the oh-so-helpful "syntax errors"
message.

Tips?  Ideas?  I'd really like a reliable mechanism for
retrieving the from address out of a mail message...I

half the time...

Or maybe I should just use perl...

---Cindy
--
_________________________Cindy Tittle Moore___________________________________

2. help on XTickLabel

3. "Reply-To" and "From" fields in Sendmail 8.8.8

4. Almost STRMATCH

5. Pine 4.31, "Setup", "Config", ..., "?" gives "Illegal instruction"

6. Effects of IP Address Change on AD

7. Reply To "From" Instead Of "Reply-To"???

8. Stack overflow error with fortran MEX files

9. Help : "From :" field or "X-Envelope to :" field

10. how to insert "Reply-to" header using UCB "mail"

11. Changing "from" or "reply-to"?

12. sendmail modifying "From" and "Reply-to" headers

13. How to tell "mail" program to use "Reply-To:" header?