forward to smarthost if local delivery fails

forward to smarthost if local delivery fails

Post by Brian Murrel » Thu, 06 Jun 1996 04:00:00

I want to set up my workstations such that if mail fails "local" delivery it
gets punted to the mail hub in our network.  I have it set up now so that all
outbound mail does get fowarded to the hub (i.e. smarthost) for delivery.

network so that sendmail doesn't try to deliver them locally and simply fail.

If I were to send mail on my workstation to "bob", sendmail tries to deliver it
to a local user, and "/bin/mail" of course fails to and errors back to
sendmail.  I want sendmail to send it to our hub for delivery at that point.

Any ideas??
b.

--

604 454 5279

Post by Brad Knowl » Fri, 07 Jun 1996 04:00:00

> I want to set up my workstations such that if mail fails "local" delivery it
> gets punted to the mail hub in our network.

    Check the undocumented LUSER_RELAY feature in sendmail 8.7.y.  There
are good reasons for it being undocumented, and may disappear at any time.

    Better is to have a central set of aliases (or UserDB/mailertable
entries) and not depend on there never being a "bob" account created
locally on a workstation that could suddenly start getting all the mail
that had been going all these years to "bob", but actually ended up
getting forwarded over to some other machine.

    It is a Bad Thing(tm) for a good address like that to break because a
new local user was added.

    Guess this needs to go into the comp.mail.sendmail FAQ.
--

    comp.mail.sendmail FAQ Maintainer     <http://www.his.com/~brad/>

The comp.mail.sendmail FAQ is at <http://www.his.com/~brad/sendmail/>

1. Local Mail Delivery With Smarthost

I have a three computer network.  One is a Linux machine, one is
a Solaris machine, and one is a Windows 95 machine.  The Linux
machine has the modem and I run diald on it to bring up the
connection to my ISP.  I am also running a pop server on the
Linux machine.

I use Eudora on the Windows 95 machine to mainly send out email
with.  It typically goes to the Linux machine and is queued there
until my link comes up.  From the /etc/ip-up script, I issue the
command "sendmail -q" to send out our mail.

I have also configured email on the Solaris machine to go to the
Linux machine and stay queued until the connection to my ISP comes
up.

My question is, how do I configure sendmail on the Linux machine
to not only store mail there, but to also send copies to the Solaris
machine?

Right now, when mail comes in, I run Eudora to pop the mail off the
Linux machine.  I can also run fetchmail on the Solaris machine
periodically to grab email from the Linux machine.

Whenever I try and send local mail, everything goes to the Linux
machine.  From there it tries to go out to my ISPs mail server.
I'm sure this is the result of having defined a Smarthost on the
Linux machine.

Is it possible to have both a Smarthost for all external mail to go
to and have local mail stay within my setup?  Is the problem that I
have used my ISPs domain name also in my local network?

For example, my ISPs domain name is muscanet.com.  In my /etc/hosts
files on both the Solaris and the Linux machine are set as follows:

192.168.100.10 homer.muscanet.com homer   (Linux machine)
192.168.100.11 marge.muscanet.com marge   (Windows 95 machine)
192.168.100.12 bart.muscanet.com bart     (Solaris machine)

If I were to change my domain name to something else and just
masquerade as my ISPs domain name would that help?

Thanks for your help.

--
Frank Hahn

2. edit button

3. ***correction*** solaris 8 sendmail - forward all non-local email to smarthost

4. Removing Start-up & Task Bar Programs

5. solaris 8 sendmail - forward all non-local email to smarthost

6. font size and other

7. Smarthost & local forwarding (8.7.5)

8. string vs rope

9. Local delivery and no message body will fail

10. local mail delivery fails

11. Failed Local Delivery

12. local mail delivery fails

13. SunOS 4.1.4 sendmail upgrade to 8.8.8, now local delivery fails