Sendmail & red-hat 6.0

Post by Saurabh Moha » Mon, 03 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Hi All,
        I am using sendmail-8.9.3 on Redhat6.0. I know that by default
Sendmail does not relay but I used Linuxconf to set up my sendmail & now i
am Not sure if that is true anymore. There is the file /etc/sendmail.mc
which has the following entry :
        FEATURE(`accept_unresolvable_domains`)
        I know that this should be disabled to avoid any spamming
problems!

But i dont have the sendmail-cf package installed. So i am Not even sure
if sendmail.mc file is being used or Not!
How can i be sure that sendmail has been configured properly so that it is
Not exploited.

Any help,advise /poitner to websites will be helpfull
Thanks & happy new year.

Saurabh Mohan.

Sendmail & red-hat 6.0

Post by G. Roderick Singleto » Mon, 03 Jan 2000 04:00:00

> Hi All,
>         I am using sendmail-8.9.3 on Redhat6.0. I know that by default
> Sendmail does not relay but I used Linuxconf to set up my sendmail & now i
> am Not sure if that is true anymore. There is the file /etc/sendmail.mc
> which has the following entry :
>         FEATURE(`accept_unresolvable_domains`)
>         I know that this should be disabled to avoid any spamming
> problems!

> But i dont have the sendmail-cf package installed. So i am Not even sure
> if sendmail.mc file is being used or Not!
> How can i be sure that sendmail has been configured properly so that it is
> Not exploited.

> Any help,advise /poitner to websites will be helpfull
> Thanks & happy new year.

> Saurabh Mohan.

Here are some starters:
www.redhat.com
comp.os.linux.redhat
comp.os.linux
www.sendmail.org

I also recommend you buy the "Bat" book

71 Underhill Drive, Unit 159, Toronto, ON  M3A 2J8
Voice : 416-452-4583 Fax: 416-452-0036 Toll Free: 1-800-354-PATH

*** Notice To Bulk Emailers: Attention!  Pursuant to US Code, Title 47,
Chapter 5, Subchapter II, 227, any & all unsolicited commercial e-mail
sent to this address is subject to a download and archival fee in the
amount of the $1500 US and copies will be forwarded to domain
administrators.  Emailing denotes acceptance of said terms!

Sendmail & red-hat 6.0

Post by John D » Mon, 03 Jan 2000 04:00:00

I would reconfigure sendmail without using linuxconf.
That feature is necessary for boxes which
connect using dialup accounts.  If you are
on a permanent connection you should disable it.

Here is what I would do

Install sendmail-cf package;
Remove that feature from rehdat.mc file.  It is in
        /usr/lib/sendmail-cf/cf
Default redhat.mc file gives default /etc/sendmail.cf file.
Make a .db file.

You of course need to have read documentation before

It's no rocket science. Any documentaion
you need is on some web page somewhere.

>Hi All,
>    I am using sendmail-8.9.3 on Redhat6.0. I know that by default
>Sendmail does not relay but I used Linuxconf to set up my sendmail & now i
>am Not sure if that is true anymore. There is the file /etc/sendmail.mc
>which has the following entry :
>    FEATURE(`accept_unresolvable_domains`)
>    I know that this should be disabled to avoid any spamming
>problems!

>But i dont have the sendmail-cf package installed. So i am Not even sure
>if sendmail.mc file is being used or Not!
>How can i be sure that sendmail has been configured properly so that it is
>Not exploited.

>Any help,advise /poitner to websites will be helpfull
>Thanks & happy new year.

>Saurabh Mohan.

Sendmail & red-hat 6.0

Post by Andrzej Fili » Tue, 04 Jan 2000 04:00:00

> Hi All,
>         I am using sendmail-8.9.3 on Redhat6.0. I know that by default
> Sendmail does not relay but I used Linuxconf to set up my sendmail & now i
> am Not sure if that is true anymore. There is the file /etc/sendmail.mc
> which has the following entry :
>         FEATURE(`accept_unresolvable_domains`)
>         I know that this should be disabled to avoid any spamming
> problems!

After you used linuxconf to configure sendmail it replaced
*.mc generated sendmail.cf with its own AND it may regenerate
sendmail.cf during every linuxconf "service" start (every boot)

Quote:> But i dont have the sendmail-cf package installed. So i am Not even sure
> if sendmail.mc file is being used or Not!
> How can i be sure that sendmail has been configured properly so that it is
> Not exploited.

If you want to use *.mc again you have to remove sendmail
related entries from linuxconf configuration file
ask for details on

Quote:> Any help,advise /poitner to websites will be helpfull

--
Andrzej (Andrew) A. Filip - Warsaw, Poland | http://bigfoot.com/~anfi

Postings: http://deja.com/profile.xp?author=Andrzej%20Filip
Available 2000-04-01 worldwide

1. Weird Problem in Sendmail 8.9.3 / Red Hat Linux 6.0

Folks,

Please help, I am at a loss.  I have a Linux box attached to my internel
network and to my cable modem.  It it may internet gatway and mail
server.  I have everything set up and for the most part everything
works.  I am having one strange problem though.  I cannot sent email to
any address in the "aol.com" domain.  I have looked through every doc
and tried various parameter changes, but nothing has helped.

When the problem occurs the PC that I am sending mail from (using
Netscape Messenger and my Linux box as an smtp gateway)  just hangs
trying to connect to the Linux box.  On the Linux box the "qf" and "xf"
files are created in the "/var/spool/mqueue" directory, but the "qf"
file is empty and the "xf" has the recipient address.  There are no
failure messages in the maillog what so ever.

I even thought I had the problem licked yesterday.  I figured out how to
make my Linux box use Roadrunner's smtp gateway as a "smart host" rather
that trying to send directly to the internet mail exchangers.  But alas
today that is not working either.

I really don't know where to turn next.  This is so frustrating being so
close to having everything working and not know how to fix this.  Any

E.R. Sterbenz

2. xemacs html docs

3. RED-Hat 7.0: Problems with chrooted sendmail

4. Breifcase & Direct Cable Connection

5. How can I install IMAP in Red Hat 6.0

6. HELP! How do I change the width of fames, but no the text?

7. Virtual hosting with Red Hat 6.0

8. vpn over tcp or udp

9. Problem with post (v0.27 nmh) on Red Hat Linux 6.0

10. Can't compile nmh-1.0 on Red Hat 6.0

11. Subfolders - UW-IMAP 4.6, Red Hat Linux release 6.0.

12. How to compile nmh-1.0 in Red Hat 6.0?

13. "we do not relay" error with sendmail & red hat 5.1