Please help out an idiot.

Post by Doctor Ev » Wed, 03 May 2000 04:00:00

Greetings.

I'm writing with regard to the "most" frequently asked question at
sendmail.org :-)  The one that says:

I'm getting these error messages:

 553 MX list for domain.net points back to relay.domain.net

How can I solve this problem?

Sendmail (8.9.1) is functioning correctly for sending to any address except

domain.net to the w class both by the sendmail.cw file, and the Cw
definition in sendmail.cf, but no joy.  (yes,
/usr/lib/mail/sh/check-hostname gets a valid result, and dns is ahead of

is only a problem if the message is initiated from the server itself.  Sound
like a screwy rewriting rule or local mailer definition?

Any help would be appreciated...  it's unbelievably frustrating when the faq
has a solution to your problem, but the solution doesn't work :-)
BTW - sendmail is not running as a daemon here, it's called explicitly by
software when an email is required to be sent. (and the SMTP port on the
server has a proprietary listener, but I don't think that's relevant)

Please help out an idiot.

Post by Per Hedela » Thu, 04 May 2000 04:00:00

> 553 MX list for domain.net points back to relay.domain.net

>How can I solve this problem?

>Sendmail (8.9.1) is functioning correctly for sending to any address except

>domain.net to the w class both by the sendmail.cw file, and the Cw
>definition in sendmail.cf, but no joy.  (yes,
>/usr/lib/mail/sh/check-hostname gets a valid result, and dns is ahead of

>is only a problem if the message is initiated from the server itself.  Sound
>like a screwy rewriting rule or local mailer definition?

No, sounds like you're not running the same binary (and sendmail.cf) for
the daemon and for direct invocation.

--Per Hedeland

1. idiot newbie question... PLEASE HELP

hello, i got a pop account with nettaxi... and i want to know if there's
a way i can have a background program check my inbox like the netscape
mail client does. i don't want to change the netscape mail. i tried the
microsoft e-mail, but it told me that it couldn't find the server. i
tried icq, but it says "one new message found, downloading headers" and
then hangs.

can anyone lead me by the hand? i really don't want to log onto
anything... i just want an icon to pop up when i have mail.

thanks in advance

rufus

2. Atari STe HELP!!!!

3. Sendmail Idiot - Please help!

4. Ada 9X for OS/2 - where do I find it?

5. sendmail idiot + masquerading = mistake... help please? :)

6. Need 3/60 and SCSI Advice

7. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE

8. Interesting Article

9. please help newbie please please

10. please please please help!

11. *PLEASE HELP* Problem with Internet Mail & Winsock *PLEASE HELP*

12. Blooming Idiot needs Eudora/recepient help

13. 501 Bogus mail from - help requested on modifying sendmail.cf to overcome these idiots...