bouncing messages to /dev/null

Post by Dave Furlon » Sun, 03 Sep 2000 01:21:37

Some one sent an email , that looked like it came from an account on my
server.
It was a junk mail, and was sent to 1000's of names.
Most of these didn't exist so they sent replies to my server.  Because the
user didn't exist sendmail  tried to bounce the messages back.
But because they foreign users don't exist, the messages get returned to me,
double bounce, and delivered to postmaster, whos a/c is filling up, (up to
1000 messages a day)

If I create a new user, with the right user name, then I get all the
messages delivered, but it keeps retrying, sending me warnings that so and
so foreign user doesn't exist, and will continue, (some for five days)
so this gets loads of messages as it retries...

I don't know anyway out, can anybody help me please....
Is there a way I can sent all messages for a user to /dev/null  ??

I am running sendmail on solaris 2.6
and I think I'm running 8.9.3 with cyrus imap...

thanks for help

Dave

bouncing messages to /dev/null

Post by Joseph Brenn » Sun, 03 Sep 2000 01:27:57

Quote:>I don't know anyway out, can anybody help me please....
>Is there a way I can sent all messages for a user to /dev/null  ??

Make an alias of   user:/dev/null

This has nothing to do with imap of course.

Joseph Brennan  Postmaster  Academic Information Systems
                Columbia University in the City of New York

bouncing messages to /dev/null

Post by Sam » Sun, 03 Sep 2000 10:20:33

1. Sending bounces to /dev/null on Sendmail 8.12.5

I have setup Sendmail 8.12.5 on BSD 4.6 to filter spam before relaying on to
my server.
I have set MAILER-DAEMON: /dev/null in /etc/mail/aliases and created
aliases.db file. But all the bounces still got to root. I don't want to send
postmaster to /dev/null. Has anyone seen this before.

Wayne

2. Verkaufe: Atari Laser

3. Messages to /dev/null

4. BIND 4.9.2 Compile on Solaris 2.3 - Compile Errors HELP!

5. How can I send mail messages to /dev/null ?

6. Database Results Table Not Aligning

7. Null Envelope From in Bounce messages

8. Announcing computer Go championship

9. Nicknames -> /dev/null

10. relay to /dev/null ?

11. spam > /dev/null

12. Redirect mail to /dev/null ?

13. localhost.localdomain --- sendmail -d0.1 -bt </dev/null