Question about SMTP HELO

Post by Eric Anders » Fri, 30 Dec 1994 16:20:56

I have what I hope will be a relatively simple question about the SMTP
protocol.  The SMTP RFC says that the SMTP HELO command is of the form

HELO <domain>

In another place, it says that the argument to HELO is the "host name" of the
sender.  I'm a little bit confused, perhaps by a lack of understanding of
what exactly constitutes a "domain."  Let's say that my host is
spam.acme.com.  When Iconnect to my favorite SMTP server, do I say

HELO acme.com
-or-
HELO spam.acme.com

The former would seem to be a "domain" name, and the latter a "fully
qualified" host name.

Thanks,
Eric

Question about SMTP HELO

Post by Eric Allma » Fri, 30 Dec 1994 23:46:15

The use of HELO <domain> in RFC 821 is to emphasize that it should
be a fully qualified host name, not a short host name -- i.e.,
it should be ``HELO spam.acme.com'', not ``HELO spam''.

eric

Re:

: Subject:  Question about SMTP HELO
: Date:  29 Dec 1994 07:20:56 GMT

: I have what I hope will be a relatively simple question about the SMTP
: protocol.  The SMTP RFC says that the SMTP HELO command is of the form
:
: HELO <domain>
:
: In another place, it says that the argument to HELO is the "host name" of the

: sender.  I'm a little bit confused, perhaps by a lack of understanding of
: what exactly constitutes a "domain."  Let's say that my host is
: spam.acme.com.  When Iconnect to my favorite SMTP server, do I say
:
: HELO acme.com
: -or-
: HELO spam.acme.com
:
: The former would seem to be a "domain" name, and the latter a "fully
: qualified" host name.
:

:
: Thanks,
: Eric
:
:
:

1. smtp helo question

Hallo,

I would like to know what on a mailserver has to be changed
in order to solve the problem regarding this: 503 Bad sequence of
commands.
What can the sender change (in the cf file) to start with the HELO
command?

while talking to gatekeeper.ing.nl
<<< 503 please introduce yourself firest
554 <..> service unavailable

Thanks in advance,

Henk van Dijk

2. Large SCSI Drives FS 8 gig $799

3. Eudora SMTP HELO (was: RE: SMTP protocol violation with Mac Eudora ??)

4. How to configure Cisco 2501 for peer-to-peer connection of two computers?

5. Outlook Client send wrong HELO to SMTP Host

6. icons/fonts

7. HELO Command of SMTP (Was: Sendmail problem on HPUX)

8. TIFF Mapping after tranformation

9. Is the sendmail v8 ignoring of the SMTP HELO command legal?

10. 8.9.2 flag to do SMTP (HELO and not EHLO)

11. SMTP says "HELO X" where X is the system its talking to!!!???

12. The HELO command in SMTP