Offsite mail server!

Post by Kio » Fri, 06 Jul 2001 01:57:08

Hi,

Does anyone knew how to setup an offsite mail server with sendmail?

Offsite mail server!

Post by Igor Mozolevs » Fri, 06 Jul 2001 02:24:35

Quote:> Does anyone knew how to setup an offsite mail server with sendmail?

For what purpose?

Offsite mail server!

Post by Kio » Fri, 06 Jul 2001 10:52:24

Backup my main email server in case of it down. The offsite email server can
receive all the email that send to my domain and then forward to the main
email server while it back to online...

> > Does anyone knew how to setup an offsite mail server with sendmail?

> For what purpose?

Offsite mail server!

Post by Suresh Ramasubramani » Fri, 06 Jul 2001 22:09:00

Kio [comp.mail.sendmail] <Thu, 5 Jul 2001 09:52:24 +0800>:

Quote:>  Backup my main email server in case of it down. The offsite email server can
>  receive all the email that send to my domain and then forward to the main
>  email server while it back to online...

A backup MX you mean.  Go to sendmail.org and read the virtual domains
howto.

--
Suresh Ramasubramanian + Wallopus Malletus Indigenensis

Offsite mail server!

Post by Claus A?man » Fri, 06 Jul 2001 22:40:42

> Kio [comp.mail.sendmail] <Thu, 5 Jul 2001 09:52:24 +0800>:
> >  Backup my main email server in case of it down. The offsite email server can
> >  receive all the email that send to my domain and then forward to the main
> >  email server while it back to online...
> A backup MX you mean.  Go to sendmail.org and read the virtual domains
> howto.

Why? Virtual domains and backup MX servers are independent concepts.

The FAQ has an entry how to setup backup MX servers.
Please read that part instead.

Subject: Q4.14 -- How do I queue mail for another domain?

http://www.sendmail.org/faq/

--
If you feel the urgent wish to send me a courtesy copy of a Usenet
posting, then make sure it's recognizable as such!

Offsite mail server!

Post by Andrzej Fili » Fri, 06 Jul 2001 23:12:09

> > Kio [comp.mail.sendmail] <Thu, 5 Jul 2001 09:52:24 +0800>:
> > >  Backup my main email server in case of it down. The offsite email server can
> > >  receive all the email that send to my domain and then forward to the main
> > >  email server while it back to online...

> > A backup MX you mean.  Go to sendmail.org and read the virtual domains
> > howto.

> Why? Virtual domains and backup MX servers are independent concepts.

Unless you wanto to implement "smart secondary MX" which knows
all valid adressess in the domain.
It is very handy for UUCP links or configuration in which primary
MX is willing to receive mail direcltly only from a few "trusted" nets.

But AFAIK it is not widely used.

Quote:> [...]

Offsite mail server!

Post by Suresh Ramasubramani » Sat, 07 Jul 2001 16:03:24

Claus A?mann [comp.mail.sendmail] <5 Jul 2001 13:40:42 GMT>:

Quote:>  Why? Virtual domains and backup MX servers are independent concepts.

That's right.  However, the virtual domains howto does have a good
section on setting up a backup MX - and puts things into perspective,
sort of.

        -suresh

--
Suresh Ramasubramanian + Wallopus Malletus Indigenensis