Forwarding mail offsite

Post by Steven Fish » Wed, 09 Apr 2003 09:08:29

This is probably a stupid question, but I've been looking for an
answer for several hours now.

I've got a site companyA.com. There are various employees of this
company that have home directories on this system.

There are others that don't work directly for this company, and I do
not want them having access to this particular machine. I'd like to
set up entirely fake email addresses and have their email

At the same time, we of companyA need to be able to email these and
other users of companyB.

How do I set all of this up?

Forwarding mail offsite

Post by Sylvain Robitaill » Wed, 09 Apr 2003 12:58:13

> I'd like to set up entirely fake email addresses and have their email

> How do I set all of this up?

In your aliases file:

I hope that helps...

Systems analyst                                   Concordia University
Instructional & Information Technology        Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Forwarding mail offsite

Post by Steven Fish » Thu, 10 Apr 2003 04:27:44

> > I'd like to set up entirely fake email addresses and have their email

> > How do I set all of this up?

> In your aliases file:

> I hope that helps...

Aliases require real user accounts on the system, don't they? And
thus, they have passwords, home directories, outgoing access, etc.
That's something I'd really prefer to avoid if it's possible.

Forwarding mail offsite

Post by Sylvain Robitaill » Thu, 10 Apr 2003 05:14:36

> Aliases require real user accounts on the system, don't they?

No.  They require the right hand side to point to an address that
eventually resolves to a real address, though.

Post by Steven Fish » Thu, 10 Apr 2003 05:26:23

> > I'd like to set up entirely fake email addresses and have their email

> > How do I set all of this up?

> In your aliases file:

> I hope that helps...

It sort of worked, but not fully. I'm now getting this. Any ideas what
I missed? I ran newaliases.

    (reason: 550 5.7.1 Unable to relay for

... while talking to mail.companyb.com.:

Quote:>>>>>> DATA

<<< 554 5.5.2 No valid recipients

Forwarding mail offsite

Post by Sylvain Robitaill » Fri, 11 Apr 2003 01:14:54

> It sort of worked, but not fully. I'm now getting this. Any ideas what
> I missed?

None, but it looks as though the message is being refused by
mail.companyb.com.  You might have to talk to CompanyB's mail admin to
see if you can work out what's going on...

Two things to check:

 - why is mail.companyb.com giving you 5.7.1?

rfc1893 says for 5.7.1 (with 5.X.X meaning "permanent failure"):

       X.7.1   Delivery not authorized, message refused

          The sender is not authorized to send to the destination.
          This can be the result of per-host or per-recipient
          filtering.  ...

Systems analyst                                   Concordia University
Instructional & Information Technology        Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Forwarding mail offsite

Post by Steven Fish » Fri, 11 Apr 2003 14:25:20

This was it. I explained the behavior to the other mail server's admin
and they looked it up. They have long email addresses and short ones;

Thank you very much for your help, Sylvain. Everything's working
perfectly now! This was much less painful than I thought it would be!

Forwarding mail offsite

Post by Sylvain Robitaill » Wed, 16 Apr 2003 06:39:42

> Thank you very much for your help, Sylvain. Everything's working
> perfectly now! This was much less painful than I thought it would be!

I'm glad to have helped.

Systems analyst                                   Concordia University
Instructional & Information Technology        Montreal, Quebec, Canada

1. can't mail to virtual domain's off-site mail server

Hi all,

I host a virtual domain that wants to use an off-site mail server.

The problem is: Mail originating from this physical host to

fails if not -- it never tries the remote mail server.

Mail from outside this physical host gets delivered to the remote mail
server correctly.

I entered the following in the my_virt_domain.com DNS as prescribed by the
other mail server:

my_virt_domain.com.   IN   MX 0 sitemail.everyone.net.
freemail.my_virt_domain.com.   IN   CNAME siteurl.everyone.net.

I've removed my_virt_domain.com from:
 /etc/sendmail.cw, /etc/mail/virtusertable, /etc/mail/access, /etc/aliases;
restarted sendmail

Still it delivers locally.

I'm wondering if sendmail is looking up the IP to see if it is local, then
since my_virt_domain.com and localhost share the same MAC address, it
delivers locally.

Or is it something else entirely.

TIA
--

Jerry O'Brien
Network Administrator,

2. Portable CD-ROM players

3. Queing mail for an offsite mail server.

4. For the best golfing experience of your life !

5. Local mail goes to unknow offsite machine???

6. Debugging shared libraries. Help!

7. Does DG/UX require sendmail to mail off-site?

8. How to block offsite mail for a user?

9. Can not mail off-site, RTFM not much help

10. Use Sendmail for an Off-site mail server to connect to ISP's sendmail server

11. Offsite mail server!

12. Recieving mail for offsite host