What is this .swp-file? (binary?) Not in manual.

What is this .swp-file? (binary?) Not in manual.

Post by David Com » Sat, 29 Jun 2002 16:56:14

I just got this (error?) msg, when trying
to start-up vim:

Swap file "/usr/tmp/t5.swp" already exists!
[O]pen Read-Only, (E)dit anyway, (R)ecover, (Q)uit, (D)elete it:

I said Q, and then thought I'd better look
at it: page (er, more) <that file>

and got a message back that it was binary
or not text or something.

I then did a "file" on it, and it said "data".

---

Not that I really have to know, but I did
search for .swp in the manual, no match.

So, just to improve our mental-model of
what mutt's actually doing, what *is*
that file?

If we *want* to look inside it (so we
can feel it's ok to delete it), how
can we do that?

  (Any program that will view the thing?
   Any way for emacs to do it?
   etc)

Thanks,

David Combs

What is this .swp-file? (binary?) Not in manual.

Post by Jochen Schul » Sat, 29 Jun 2002 19:08:06

Quote:> I just got this (error?) msg, when trying
> to start-up vim:

> Swap file "/usr/tmp/t5.swp" already exists!
> [O]pen Read-Only, (E)dit anyway, (R)ecover, (Q)uit, (D)elete it:

This is a file that vim created during an editing session, which vim
wasn't able to delete before exiting. Now you're trying to edit a file
of the same name and vim realizes, that it is unable to create a
swapfile, because it is already there.

Quote:> Not that I really have to know, but I did
> search for .swp in the manual, no match.

mutt's manual? This is a vim question.

Quote:> If we *want* to look inside it (so we
> can feel it's ok to delete it), how
> can we do that?

Take a careful look at the question above. Hit 'r' to view the swapfile
in its current state, 'e' to work on normally, ignoring the swapfile,
'o' to open it read-only and 'd' to delete it.

                                            J0chen.
--
Hier in unseren Breiten, neigt der Drogist seit den 60er Jahren eher
dazu,, sein Heil im Buddhismus und Artverwandtem zu suchen.

Post by David Com » Thu, 25 Jul 2002 18:49:17

>> I just got this (error?) msg, when trying
>> to start-up vim:

>> Swap file "/usr/tmp/t5.swp" already exists!
>> [O]pen Read-Only, (E)dit anyway, (R)ecover, (Q)uit, (D)elete it:

>This is a file that vim created during an editing session, which vim
>wasn't able to delete before exiting. Now you're trying to edit a file
>of the same name and vim realizes, that it is unable to create a
>swapfile, because it is already there.

>> Not that I really have to know, but I did
>> search for .swp in the manual, no match.

>mutt's manual? This is a vim question.

>> If we *want* to look inside it (so we
>> can feel it's ok to delete it), how
>> can we do that?

>Take a careful look at the question above. Hit 'r' to view the swapfile
>in its current state, 'e' to work on normally, ignoring the swapfile,
>'o' to open it read-only and 'd' to delete it.

>                                            J0chen.

Sorry for posting to the wrong group,

and thanks for the reply.

David

1. I am not receiving mail and am unable to send mail,

no IM for msn, use exchange/messaging/outlook. there are separate
news groups for these products.

--

NOclubie,Nomvp,Noclubwin
Noteamgates, just

-- I am not receiving mail and am unable to send mail, I get the
following
message:

the mail server name cannot be found . Please check your Internet
Mail
configuration, Network connection , and TCP/IP configuration and
retry.  If
this persists, contact your LAN administrator or Internet provider.

need a hand

----------

2. MySQL 4.0.20 for full-text searching with match against

3. I am not receiving mail and am unable to send mail

4. sudden restart

5. I am looking for mh binaries for solaris 2.5.1?

6. Relaying denied in Sendmail Version 8.11.2-14

7. SMTP and binary files (no, not "how do you do it" :-)

8. forward special mail

9. mh-e can not find the not find the nmh binaries

10. Binary attachment sent as .bmp file turns into .mim file when received

11. Where are the specs for setting up Internet and mail through an .ins file?

12. .INS file for config of IMAP e-mail

13. alias look up ins NIS not working