Password for IMAP

Post by Corey Fogart » Thu, 05 Jul 2001 13:48:38

Howdy out there, it's late I am tired and I think I am overlooking one
of the simple things...

I was assigned the task of testing out some web based email products
this month. I surfed around and found Aeromail which seemed to be
something worth playing with. In order to make Aeromail work I needed
to compile php --with-imap. All this went well and I think I have made
it. I am pretty sure everything is working I can't tell though because
I seem to be locked out of the /aeromail/index.php, the password for
this main page is supposedly my IMAP password. The only problem is that
I never set an IMAP password and further more I have not been able to
find the magic useradd or passwd command in any docs.

Again, I figure I am missing something simple and I really hope by
posting this note someone will come to my rescue.

Thank you in advance,

Corey P. Fogarty

Password for IMAP

Post by Adrian Bolisto » Fri, 06 Jul 2001 02:54:31

> .............The only problem is that
> I never set an IMAP password and further more I have not been able to
> find the magic useradd or passwd command in any docs.

> Again, I figure I am missing something simple and I really hope by
> posting this note someone will come to my rescue.

IMAP uses the normal *existing* unix usernames and passwords for
access.  If you want extra IMAP accounts then you just add more normal
user accounts to your unix system , then their imap folders will be in
the /home/<user> directory.

Password for IMAP

Post by Ian » Fri, 06 Jul 2001 03:03:44

> IMAP uses the normal *existing* unix usernames and passwords for
> access.  If you want extra IMAP accounts then you just add more normal
> user accounts to your unix system , then their imap folders will be in
> the /home/<user> directory.

You're talking out of your arse, partly.

Quote:> IMAP uses the normal *existing* unix usernames and passwords for
> access.

That's true for most servers, but not Cyrus. In cyrus, users can be in
Unix (I think) or in the SASL database, or in Kerberos or....

Quote:> If you want extra IMAP accounts then you just add more normal
> user accounts to your unix system , then their imap folders will be in
> the /home/<user> directory.

That depends on your site configuration. On my play server (Cyrus),
they're all in cyrus somewhere. At work (Courier), their in
/i/mail/ian. Before (UW), they were either under /var/mail/ian or
under /home/ian (given USER=ian).

So, in this specific case it could be correct, but as a generality,
never expect the IMAP folders to be in a certain place on all systems.
--
/Ian D

1. Problem with passwords with IMAP to Exchange server

When I change my password in the domain my mailserver is in, Eudora
attempts to connect with the old password it knows about (I have "save
Password" checked).

Although I have "check mail every 30 minutes" in the Personality setting,
Eudora seems to be resyncing the mailbox almost continually. Although this
is good, in that it keeps the mailboxes current, after changing my
password, Eudora pounds the server with my old password until the server
locks me out.

With a pop server if I change the password on the server, after one try
to  connect that fails with a bad password, I'm asked to resubmit a
password. Why is the IMAP behavior different? Or is there some way to
change it?

--

2. Help me put database on CD-ROM

3. Pine 4.44 not remembering password on IMAP server which requires a full realm login.

4. memory stick isn't read

5. user name and password for imap

6. Billing for use of ISDN in Video Conferencing

7. store password with imap

8. Cursor in MSDOS/Windows

9. Cyrus Imap - IMAP Password

10. Outlook Express password control with IMAP

11. IMAP 2002 password authentication over ssl

12. IMAP change password

13. Send password keystrokes to IMAP?