Suspending pine

Post by Mark J. Ros » Thu, 28 Jul 1994 23:44:15

When I try to suspend pine with a ^z I get a message like: suspending pine
is not enabled, see help text.  But I can't seem to find any help on how
to enable this basic function.  Anyone know how?  For that matter, is
there a manual on the .pinerc file?  Thanks.

Mark

Suspending pine

Post by Macgicia » Fri, 29 Jul 1994 00:38:26

  +   When I try to suspend pine with a ^z I get a message like: suspending pine
  +   is not enabled, see help text.  But I can't seem to find any help on how
  +   to enable this basic function.  Anyone know how?  For that matter, is
  +   there a manual on the .pinerc file?  Thanks.

Sure you can. Invoke pine with the -z flag/option.
% pine -z

Then you will see for sure yourself that cntrl-z will work. Infact you can
alias pine to pine -z in you .login/cshrc files that way it will be
default.

--

 _____/    /_       ______/   |_____-
/,________/  `-.___/,__________-----_)

Suspending pine

Post by David Richar » Sat, 30 Jul 1994 02:01:37

    Mark> When I try to suspend pine with a ^z I get a message like:
    Mark> suspending pine is not enabled, see help text.  But I can't
    Mark> seem to find any help on how to enable this basic function.
    Mark> Anyone know how?  For that matter, is there a manual on the
    Mark> .pinerc file?  Thanks.

Hello Mark - There is a data structure that you can set up in your
.pinerc file called 'feature-list'. The feature-list is a comma
separated list of various config attributes that you can enable. Here's
a copy of my feature list that includes enabling ^Z for suspending:

feature-list=enable-unix-pipe-cmd,
        enable-suspend,
        enable-alternate-editor-cmd,
        quit-without-confirm,
        enable-jump-shortcut,
        enable-goto-cmd,
        signature-at-bottom

It's OK to put each item on a separate line provided:
A.) Each line begins with white space (a line beginning with a tab or  space
is considered a continuation of the previous line).

B.) you end each item with a comma.

You may not want your list set up like mine but take note of
line 2 - This is the item that enables suspend.
Good-luck
Dave

        David Richards
The Aaron Copland School of Music
       at Queens College

Voice : 1-(718)-997-3874

Suspending pine

Post by Mark J. Ros » Sat, 30 Jul 1994 05:15:33

: Hello Mark - There is a data structure that you can set up in your
: .pinerc file called 'feature-list'. The feature-list is a comma
: separated list of various config attributes that you can enable. Here's
: a copy of my feature list that includes enabling ^Z for suspending:

: feature-list=enable-unix-pipe-cmd,
:       enable-suspend,
:       enable-alternate-editor-cmd,
:       quit-without-confirm,
:       enable-jump-shortcut,
:       enable-goto-cmd,
:       signature-at-bottom

: It's OK to put each item on a separate line provided:
: A.) Each line begins with white space (a line beginning with a tab or  space
: is considered a continuation of the previous line).

: B.) you end each item with a comma.

Several people suggested the above.
I've tried putting the feature-list=enable stuff in my .pinerc file,
but it seems that it doesn't work for some reason.  I still have to include
the -z parameter in the command line.  Also, I tried using your whole
feature list, but the signature-at-bottom doesn't automatically append my
signature.  So it may seem that my .pinerc file isn't even being read, but
I know certain parts, like file (folder?) defaults, are working fine.  Am
I missing something?

 -- "Keep looking up!"  -- Jack Horkheimer, Star Hustler

Suspending pine

Post by Steve Ma » Sat, 30 Jul 1994 00:21:18

Hi Mark,
        All you have to do to find out about command line options should
be something like typing pine -- at the command line. I get a whole list
of options that way, which is where you will find how to enable ^Z. The
switch to do so is -z. So, start pine with pine -z. Then you should be
able to suspend it to your hearts content. Good pining. Hope this helps.

STeve

"If you choose not to decide, you'll still have made a choice..."
                                              -RUSH
 /  Steve M                        Insignificant message goes here  \
|   CCIS:      529-7500 x7922                             \|||/      |
|   Home:      722-1632                                    0 0       |
|   Beeper:    1-800-502-2775 or 201-909-1575           oo0 ^ 0oo    |

 \                  This line left blank for no reason              /

> When I try to suspend pine with a ^z I get a message like: suspending pine
> is not enabled, see help text.  But I can't seem to find any help on how
> to enable this basic function.  Anyone know how?  For that matter, is
> there a manual on the .pinerc file?  Thanks.

> Mark

1. CTRL-C suspends pine (ungracefully)

newsgroup -- I may not see your answer here.

This problem began about a week ago.  I'm not aware of any config
changes having been made at that time.  Possibly sysadmin made some
global changes but other pine users on the sys don't have the problem.
Halcyon is a Dec Ultrix system (last I looked :-) ).

When I enter ctrl-C to cancel current action, as enabled in numerous
pine menus, pine suspends (continues in bkgnd) and I am dumped into the
shell with terminal settings messed up.  I'm forced to enter reset^J and
then kill the pine process; if I reenter with "fg" pine no longer knows
where it is and I can't do anything (even if I reenter before the
"reset" command).

NOTE:  suspend (^Z) is enabled and is working just fine.

I have a PPP modem connection using Telnet to log in to shell.  I can
connect to other systems or run other programs on this sys and ^C
behaves normally.  It really seems to be a pine problem.

Gary Ingle

2. Using MSDN Jan 2002 without VS.NET

3. Suspending Pine

4. Millenium Clock for RiscOS?

5. Pine problem -- suspending editor -- Mac OS X

6. W98 installation/registry question

7. disallowing pine to be suspended vai ctrl-z

8. Drivers for 8 port Concentrator, DEC PC4XB -DB

9. end suspend in Pine

10. compiling pine with suspend deature turned off

11. pine 3.92 / xterm / shell suspend

12. Help!! Suspended mesgs in Pine are Killing ME!!

13. Suspend during Pine