Use Sendmail for an Off-site mail server to connect to ISP's sendmail server

Use Sendmail for an Off-site mail server to connect to ISP's sendmail server

Post by Sale » Wed, 09 Feb 2000 04:00:00

To all Gurus of Sendmail:

I do not know how to configure Sendmail box residing in my office to connect
to my ISP.  The details of the whole senerio is as follows:

Server in my office:
Redhat Linux 6.0 with Sendmail 8.9.3
ISDN Router to connect to ISP

ISP is running Sendmail 8.9.3 and is MXing my mail.

What I need to know is:

1. How do I setup my sendmail box to connect to my ISP every 10mins to send
mail out and to collect mail?

2. Can I do this job by using virtual IPs?  I am afraid using real IPs will
open up a great big security hole.

Any help or pointers will be much appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

HL

Post by Claus Assman » Mon, 14 Feb 2000 04:00:00

> Redhat Linux 6.0 with Sendmail 8.9.3
> ISDN Router to connect to ISP
> 1. How do I setup my sendmail box to connect to my ISP every 10mins to send
> mail out and to collect mail?

sendmail -bd -odq -q10m
See the man page for the various options.

"collecting" mail: that's not something sendmail does.
You have to ask your ISP which method they use to send you e-mail.

Quote:> 2. Can I do this job by using virtual IPs?  I am afraid using real IPs will
> open up a great big security hole.

Again: ask your ISP. It doesn't help you if we propose one method and
your ISP uses another method.

--
If you feel the urgent wish to send me a courtesy copy of a Usenet
posting, then make sure it's recognizable as such!

Use Sendmail for an Off-site mail server to connect to ISP's sendmail server

Post by fake mai » Mon, 21 Feb 2000 04:00:00

typed:

Quote:>ISDN Router to connect to ISP

>ISP is running Sendmail 8.9.3 and is MXing my mail.

>What I need to know is:

>1. How do I setup my sendmail box to connect to my ISP every 10mins to send
>mail out and to collect mail?

crontab -e

*/10    *       *       *       *       /sendmail -q

Quote:

>2. Can I do this job by using virtual IPs?  I am afraid using real IPs will
>open up a great big security hole.

since you have isdn, your ip is fixed. The only way is to connect thru
a dial-up connection.

1. can't mail to virtual domain's off-site mail server

Hi all,

I host a virtual domain that wants to use an off-site mail server.

The problem is: Mail originating from this physical host to

fails if not -- it never tries the remote mail server.

Mail from outside this physical host gets delivered to the remote mail
server correctly.

I entered the following in the my_virt_domain.com DNS as prescribed by the
other mail server:

my_virt_domain.com.   IN   MX 0 sitemail.everyone.net.
freemail.my_virt_domain.com.   IN   CNAME siteurl.everyone.net.

I've removed my_virt_domain.com from:
 /etc/sendmail.cw, /etc/mail/virtusertable, /etc/mail/access, /etc/aliases;
restarted sendmail

Still it delivers locally.

I'm wondering if sendmail is looking up the IP to see if it is local, then
since my_virt_domain.com and localhost share the same MAC address, it
delivers locally.

Or is it something else entirely.

TIA
--

Jerry O'Brien
Network Administrator,

2. Three Structure DTD

3. Trying to connect another ISP Mail Server through Proxy Server

4. Script Error on Theme Buttons using Active Graphics

5. Connecting to ISP's Mail Server with Pine on Linux

6. Client Certificates

7. Sendmail - Need help using isp mail server

8. Writing software with PC..

9. Bypass your ISP's mail server Built in SMTP server ---Panther Mailer

10. Unable to send external email from off-site location via LAN Exchange Server

11. Using ISP's SMTP server for outgoing mail

12. Does DG/UX require sendmail to mail off-site?

13. Using Site Server ILS service as an ILS server