pine 4.55 / Solaris 8: New message scanning faulty?

pine 4.55 / Solaris 8: New message scanning faulty?

Post by Mary J. Alderdi » Wed, 21 May 2003 06:45:38

Greetings, all. (Hi! I'm back!)

I filter my mail pretty extensively into various folders (local delivery,
no IMAP/POP/etc), and thus make lots of use of the tab key to move to the
next folder with new mail in it.

I have recently upgraded to 4.55, and it seems that this functionality
works sporadically at best. I look at the journal of transactions, and it
shows that it attempted to check the folders, but found no new messages
when there were indeed new messages to be found.

Any ideas?

-meri

personally i think menstrual power is overrated.  you can't even run a
hairdryer off it.                               <christi alice scarborough>

pine 4.55 / Solaris 8: New message scanning faulty?

Post by Ephraim Gadsb » Thu, 22 May 2003 04:58:03

Quote:>Greetings, all. (Hi! I'm back!)

>I filter my mail pretty extensively into various folders (local delivery,
>no IMAP/POP/etc), and thus make lots of use of the tab key to move to the
>next folder with new mail in it.

>I have recently upgraded to 4.55, and it seems that this functionality
>works sporadically at best. I look at the journal of transactions, and it
>shows that it attempted to check the folders, but found no new messages
>when there were indeed new messages to be found.

tab navigates between new or recent messages within a mailbox, but it
will only enter a mailbox if it contains recent messages - new message
don't count.

Post by Mary J. Alderdi » Thu, 22 May 2003 05:16:34

> >Greetings, all. (Hi! I'm back!)

> >I filter my mail pretty extensively into various folders (local delivery,
> >no IMAP/POP/etc), and thus make lots of use of the tab key to move to the
> >next folder with new mail in it.

> >I have recently upgraded to 4.55, and it seems that this functionality
> >works sporadically at best. I look at the journal of transactions, and it
> >shows that it attempted to check the folders, but found no new messages
> >when there were indeed new messages to be found.

> tab navigates between new or recent messages within a mailbox, but it
> will only enter a mailbox if it contains recent messages - new message
> don't count.

This would be a complete change in the behavior that I've seen in pine for
the last 6 years or so, then.

--
mary j. alderdice, geek     | it's a wonderful thing, as time goes by, to
known to the world as meri  | be with someone who looks into your face,

http://www.burly-mango.com/ | you think you look like.     <_the bachelor_>

Post by Nancy McGoug » Sat, 24 May 2003 20:40:24

> > tab navigates between new or recent messages within a mailbox, but it
> > will only enter a mailbox if it contains recent messages - new message
> > don't count.

> This would be a complete change in the behavior that I've seen in pine for
> the last 6 years or so, then.

I've been tabbing through my incoming-folders for years and I'm
pretty sure that Pine has always only auto-opened mailboxes that
contain RECENT messages.

One thing that might be causing your problems is if you have
enable-fast-recent-test set. I suggest that you check your Pine
Config and make sure that it's unset:

 [ ] enable-fast-recent-test

and then see if tabbing through your incoming-folders works the
way you expect.

I discuss these topics on my Power Pine page in this section:

 Checking for Recent Messages
 <http://www.ii.com/internet/messaging/pine/pc/#recentMsgs>

Hope this helps,
Nancy
 posted & cc'd

--
Nancy McGough
Infinite Ink

pine 4.55 / Solaris 8: New message scanning faulty?

Post by Eduardo Chapp » Sun, 25 May 2003 01:25:49

:) > > >
:) > > tab navigates between new or recent messages within a mailbox, but
:) > > it will only enter a mailbox if it contains recent messages - new
:) > > message don't count.
:) >
:) > This would be a complete change in the behavior that I've seen in
:) > pine for the last 6 years or so, then.
:)
:)
:) I've been tabbing through my incoming-folders for years and I'm pretty
:) sure that Pine has always only auto-opened mailboxes that contain
:) RECENT messages.
:)
:) One thing that might be causing your problems is if you have
:) enable-fast-recent-test set. I suggest that you check your Pine
:) Config and make sure that it's unset:
:)
:)  [ ] enable-fast-recent-test
:)
:) and then see if tabbing through your incoming-folders works the
:) way you expect.

Hi Mary,

  Welcome back. I would never recommend to unset this feature. Doing so is
a good way to slow down Pine, especially in slow connections/big
mailboxes.

  It sounds like you may have a program that checks mail in your incoming
folders. If so, stop using it. There's no way that Pine and any external
program checking for new mail will work together.

  If this is not the problem, I would be interested to debug it, but I'll
be out of town for the weekend, so I may not be helpful for a couple of
days.

--
Eduardo
http://www.math.washington.edu/~chappa/pine/

Post by Mary J. Alderdi » Sun, 25 May 2003 02:03:07

> > > tab navigates between new or recent messages within a mailbox, but it
> > > will only enter a mailbox if it contains recent messages - new message
> > > don't count.

> > This would be a complete change in the behavior that I've seen in pine for
> > the last 6 years or so, then.

> I've been tabbing through my incoming-folders for years and I'm
> pretty sure that Pine has always only auto-opened mailboxes that
> contain RECENT messages.

> One thing that might be causing your problems is if you have
> enable-fast-recent-test set. I suggest that you check your Pine
> Config and make sure that it's unset:

>  [ ] enable-fast-recent-test

> and then see if tabbing through your incoming-folders works the
> way you expect.

This was indeed the issue. Thanks muchly.

the line between plant and animal kingdoms is nonexistent, or at least very
squiggly, in the pokemon universe.                                 <andr00>

Post by Mary J. Alderdi » Sun, 25 May 2003 02:04:30

> :) > > >
> :) > > tab navigates between new or recent messages within a mailbox, but
> :) > > it will only enter a mailbox if it contains recent messages - new
> :) > > message don't count.
> :) >
> :) > This would be a complete change in the behavior that I've seen in
> :) > pine for the last 6 years or so, then.
> :)
> :)
> :) I've been tabbing through my incoming-folders for years and I'm pretty
> :) sure that Pine has always only auto-opened mailboxes that contain
> :) RECENT messages.
> :)
> :) One thing that might be causing your problems is if you have
> :) enable-fast-recent-test set. I suggest that you check your Pine
> :) Config and make sure that it's unset:
> :)
> :)  [ ] enable-fast-recent-test
> :)
> :) and then see if tabbing through your incoming-folders works the
> :) way you expect.

> Hi Mary,

Hi Eduardo. :)

Quote:>   Welcome back. I would never recommend to unset this feature. Doing so is
> a good way to slow down Pine, especially in slow connections/big
> mailboxes.

Sadly, this did turn out ot be the case, and so I've temporarily unset this
feature, and will be around to poke at it when you have some free time.

Quote:>   It sounds like you may have a program that checks mail in your incoming
> folders. If so, stop using it. There's no way that Pine and any external
> program checking for new mail will work together.

The only thing I have looking at my mail folders on this box should be
pine. I can't imagine what else would be doing it (which does not, of
course, mean that there *isn't* something else; I just can't figure what it
would be).

Quote:>   If this is not the problem, I would be interested to debug it, but I'll
> be out of town for the weekend, so I may not be helpful for a couple of
> days.

Hope you're going somewhere to have a good time!

-meri

the line between plant and animal kingdoms is nonexistent, or at least very
squiggly, in the pokemon universe.                                 <andr00>

1. PC-Pine 4.55 and 4.56: Yellow icon

It seems when the server or ISP disconnects you the yellow icon
stays and you don't get a green anymore. In 4.54 it'd change
from green to red.

I have various POP3 and IMAP accounts in incoming-folders.
Some minutes ago I was on a POP3 when the server closed it, and
am still getting a yellow icon opening another or the same
account.

I don't know if it's relevant, but I'm using XP Professional
SP1.

"* In PC-Pine, the tree icon turns yellow when there is an
unexpected closing of a mail folder"

2. Sygate + Norton Internet Security Firewall Problem

3. PC-Pine 4.55 problem with attachments

4. Confused: an NT driver for 870cse?

5. pine 4.55 or 4.56 ported to HP-UX 11.00 64 Bit?

6. Template?

7. Viewing headers in pine 4.55 on OSX

8. AS/400 Password Question

9. Pine 4.55 working with maildir?

10. Pine 4.55 compile error

11. Pine 4.55 and spell chekcer

12. Still having screen redraw problems (Pine 4.55 Mac OS X 10.2.6)

13. PC-Pine 4.55 problem and comments