imap/tcp server failing (looping)

Post by peter pils » Sat, 29 Apr 2000 04:00:00

cyrus imap-server with pwcheck on linux

from time to time (when doing heavy operation with pegasus) I get the
following error in the syslog:

Apr 28 12:29:49 server inetd[231]: imap/tcp server failing (looping),
service terminated

then the imapserver is not reachable for about 10-20 minutes !!

imapd is started with inetd and pwcheck is running from inittab
(respawned).

restarting pwcheck manually seems to solve the problem at the moment, but
a few hours/days later I get the same problem.

is this a cyrusproblem and how to solve it ?
or is it a pegasusproblem (I wont care about, cause well change to
outlook ...)

thanks,
peter

--

goldfisch.at.at

imap/tcp server failing (looping)

Post by Bernd Wagene » Sat, 29 Apr 2000 04:00:00

I had the same problem with uw imap-server V 4.7 and netscape-client and
was able to track down the error.
If I subscribe new folders, I can see the file .mailboxlist. I
subscribed and unsubscribed it later. In this moment, the inetd on the
linux-server spawns imapd-processes at a high rate. inetd on linux has a
limit of 40 identical processes per 60 seconds as default. If the limit
is reached, inetd will stop for 10 minutes to spawn the imapd.
I changed to uw version 4.7b and the problem disappered.I changed also
the default of 40 processes to 100 in /etc/inetd.conf, but our server is
very busy and very powerfull - a limit of 40 was to small.
For the uw imap-server exist a patch, who makes all .files invisible to
the user.

Bernd

> cyrus imap-server with pwcheck on linux

> from time to time (when doing heavy operation with pegasus) I get the
> following error in the syslog:

> Apr 28 12:29:49 server inetd[231]: imap/tcp server failing (looping),
> service terminated

> then the imapserver is not reachable for about 10-20 minutes !!

> imapd is started with inetd and pwcheck is running from inittab
> (respawned).

> restarting pwcheck manually seems to solve the problem at the moment, but
> a few hours/days later I get the same problem.

> is this a cyrusproblem and how to solve it ?
> or is it a pegasusproblem (I wont care about, cause well change to
> outlook ...)

> thanks,
> peter

> --

> goldfisch.at.at

imap/tcp server failing (looping)

Post by Scot W. Hetze » Sat, 29 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> cyrus imap-server with pwcheck on linux

> from time to time (when doing heavy operation with pegasus) I get the
> following error in the syslog:

> Apr 28 12:29:49 server inetd[231]: imap/tcp server failing (looping),
> service terminated

> then the imapserver is not reachable for about 10-20 minutes !!

> imapd is started with inetd and pwcheck is running from inittab
> (respawned).

> restarting pwcheck manually seems to solve the problem at the moment, but
> a few hours/days later I get the same problem.

> is this a cyrusproblem and how to solve it ?
> or is it a pegasusproblem (I wont care about, cause well change to
> outlook ...)

It's a problem with your inetd daemon having a limit on the number of
connections/minute (Linux 40, FreeBSD 256).  When inetd receives the max+1
connection it thinks that something is wrong and stops responding to
connections on that port for a specific time period (10 minutes).  You need
to read the man page for inetd to determine how to change the max
connections/minute.

Change your inetd.conf entry from:

imap    stream  tcp     nowait  cyrus   /usr/sbin/tcpd
/usr/local/cyrus/bin/imapd

to (linux):

imap    stream  tcp     nowait.256 cyrus   /usr/sbin/tcpd
/usr/local/cyrus/bin/imapd

Scot