Retrieve deleted messages from the "Deleted Item" folder

Retrieve deleted messages from the "Deleted Item" folder

Post by Stefan Ebne » Tue, 27 Jul 1999 04:00:00

I cleaned up the "Deleted Items" folder regularly. Now I would really
want to retrieve some of these mails. Does anybody know of a tool to do
this or have any suggestions?

Thank you in advance for the advice.

Best regards,

Stefan Ebner

Retrieve deleted messages from the "Deleted Item" folder

Post by Michael Santove » Tue, 27 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Recovering deleted messages depends on how you deleted them and what you've done since then.

Check your Deleted Items folder.  With luck, they are still there and you can  move them back.

If not, but you haven't done a File, Folder, Compact on that desired mail folder or All folders
since you deleted the messages, then you can get them back.
 - Close Mail
 - Use the Windows File Explorer to locate and delete the file "...\Mail\???.idx" where ??? is
the name of the desired mail folder.
 - Open Mail and select File, Folder, Compact, ??? where ??? is the name of the desired mail
folder (it is safe now).  You will get an error message, but it will rebuild the *.IDX file and
the messages will be back.

If you have compacted the desired folder after the delete, you might still be able to recover
the message from the Deleted Items folder (this is a long shot)
 - Close Mail
 - Use the Windows File Explorer to locate and delete the file ...\Mail\Deleted Items.idx
 - Open Mail and select File, Folder, Compact, Deleted Items (it is safe now).  You will get an
error message, but it will rebuild the *.IDX file and the messages may be back in the Deleted
Items folder.

>I cleaned up the "Deleted Items" folder regularly. Now I would really
>want to retrieve some of these mails. Does anybody know of a tool to do
>this or have any suggestions?

>Thank you in advance for the advice.

>Best regards,

>Stefan Ebner

1. Err.Mess: "Can't delete items from deleted items folder"

Since having moved to the most recent build of IM&N, I'm frequently getting an error message - in the middle of things - claiming
that it's not possible to delete items from the deleted items folder.

However, IM&N doesn't show anything in the deleted items folder. I even deleted the directory and compacted all other folders, but
to noavail.

What am I missing here?

Greetings,
-J.

2. Help !!!! Memory allocation/deallocation error

3. Recovering deleted messages after clicking the "empty deleted items folder" in 6

4. Sprite colour trans problem

5. "Some of the messages in the delete item folder could not be deleted"

6. OOPSLA'96 Tutorial cost question

7. New Message going to "Deleted Items" Folder

8. "Deleted Items" damaged and can't delete email or access the file

9. Complicated "deleted items...could not be deleted"

10. can't clear out "deleted items" folder

11. Outlook "Deleted Items" Folder

12. "Deleted Items" folder missing