Sendmail From: address rewrite rules

Post by Ken Fowler - Systems Administrat » Wed, 19 Jan 1994 08:09:22

Hi,

Anyone out there know how to set up the sendmail.cf file for sendmail??

I have been given the job of setting up sendmail on an intergraph unix
workstation and I know little about unix although I do have a bit of
knowledge on SMTP and TCP/IP, that's why I landed this job :-(

It is all running fairly well at present but I wan't to change a couple of
things.  Firstly I want to set us a rewrite rule to change the from: and
reply-to: header's.  At present mail goes out with the headers looking like
this...

I want to rewrite this so that it looks like

Sendmail.cf looks a bit cryptic to me but I imagine a lot of other people
have had to do this sort of thing.  How??

Secondly I wan't to route all outgoing mail through another host that is
our official email host.  Is this what sendmail refers to as a relay host??

Please email me any replies as I am not a unix person and so do not read
this group on a regular basis.

Thanks,
Ken.
--
Southpower,             Phone:     +64 3 363-9527
Private Bag,            Fax:       +64 3 363-9816

New Zealand.            PSI:       0530130010083::GALAXY::FOWLERK

Post by Gary Ada » Thu, 03 Feb 1994 14:56:16

[...]

: --
: Southpower,             Phone:     +64 3 363-9527
: Private Bag,            Fax:       +64 3 363-9816

: New Zealand.            PSI:       0530130010083::GALAXY::FOWLERK

  Hot off the presses -- sendmail from O'Reilly & Associates.  Defines
  terms, and syntax of the sendmail.cf; a very very good by Bryan Costales,
  Eric Allman & Neil Rickert.

1. Rewrite rules not rewriting CC field

I have a pair of servers that basically take email from an internal environment, rewrite the sender address (alias to first.last notation), and send to the internet.  At the same time, email sent from the internet, the recipient address gets rewriten from first.last notation back to the alias.  The problem I'm having is when mail gets sent out from the internal network, to someone on the internet, and someone from the internal network is Cc'd, the Cc address isn't getting rewritten.  So if the internet recipient does a "reply to all", it obviously doesn't work since the first.last notation was never there.  Anyone know how I might go about fixing this?  Thanks in advance.

Kevin Loukinen

2. ORACLE Development Enquiry

3. Virtusertable Rules and Address ReWrites

4. Communication racks vs. Network cabinets

5. how to get recipient address in sender rewrite rules

6. TIF Viewer

7. Rewriting rule to extract information from email address

8. which router to get to simulate a Frame cloud/frame switch

9. Problems with "bang" addresses & rewrite rules

10. Address rewriting rules?

11. Rewriting rule for backwards JANET addresses?

12. rewrite rule for bitnet-addresses

13. How to I make a rule for a rewrite of a specific To: address