sendmail, how to set up auto forward for a group of people

sendmail, how to set up auto forward for a group of people

Post by drw.. » Thu, 08 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Here is what I want to do:

I have a group of users whose user names have certain patterns. For
example, all their names start with "john", like "john1234", "john
4567", etc. Those users do not exist on my system (Linux), but they
exist in a different database, along with their real email addresses.

I want to be able to handle emails for such users, like

this user's real email and forward the mail to that address.

I want to use a mail forward program to handle it, but I need to trigger
this program. Normally one can put a line in .forward file under the
home directory of the user, or add an alias line in /etc/aliases file.

Since the number of such users are quite large, I do not want to create
all such users in my local system (so no home directory), nor do I want
to create aliases in /etc/aliases file for all of them (too long).

I wonder if there is a way to specify a group of users based on certain
pattern matching with regular expression in /etc/aliases file to achieve
this.

This is for a Linux, RedHat 6.1, kernel 2.2.12-20smp, sendmail 8.9.3.

Thanks.

Weidong Wang

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

1. How to set auto forward income e-mail to another accouint

Pine can't do that, but there are other tools that can, if they're
available on your account.

The simplest way, if you have shell access to your account, is to create a
.forward file containing the e-mail address you want to forward to.

If you can't do that, you should contact your system's admistrator or help
desk, as the proper method varies from system to system.

--
Scott Leibrand

http://students.washington.edu/leibrand
* RCW 19.190 notice: This email address is located in Washington State. *
* Unsolicited commercial email may be billed $500 per message.          *

2. Intelligent Agents

3. How to set up auto forward in my unix account

4. overlying data on an image

5. set-user-id or set-group-id in Xenix "smail" programs?

6. ESDI questions

7. forward: /home/joeblow/.forward: Group writable directory

8. disable internet connection for specified user?

9. forward /dev/null/.forward+: Group writable directory

10. getting error "forward /home/brian/.forward: Group writable directory"

11. forward /export/home/user/.forward.hostname+: Group writable directory

12. Netmeeting groups and people

13. group people on a network