Configuring sendmail to forward failed mail

Configuring sendmail to forward failed mail

Post by Dan Troxe » Fri, 31 May 1996 04:00:00

I am trying to configure sendmail to forward failed mail to another
server.

When a user sends email through SMTP, from our domain(syspac.com),
sendmail will convert the email to local delivery if the domain is
syspac.com. Then mail.local trys to deliver the mail, but it finds that
the user does not exist on that system. It then returns the email as
undeliverable. I wish to have sendmail try to send this email to another
server first.

Example:

Sends email through mail.syspac.com

Jeff does not reside on mail.syspac.com, but resides on
postoffice.syspac.com

it trys to deliver the mail locally.

I want sendmail to test to see if jeff exists on mail.syspac.com, if it
does not exist, forward mail to postoffice.syspac.com for delivery.

The DNS is setup as
  MX 0 postoffice.syspac.com
  MX 1 mail.syspac.com
so all email out of syspac.com domain works just fine. The problem is
only with users who use mail.syspac.com as their SMTP connection to
deliver mail.

Any ideas?
--

Systems Solutions Inc.                         602-955-5566

Post by Brad Knowl » Wed, 05 Jun 1996 04:00:00

> When a user sends email through SMTP, from our domain(syspac.com),
> sendmail will convert the email to local delivery if the domain is
> syspac.com. Then mail.local trys to deliver the mail, but it finds that
> the user does not exist on that system. It then returns the email as
> undeliverable. I wish to have sendmail try to send this email to another
> server first.

    Set up aliases on mail.syspac.com for all users, local or otherwise?

    Upgrade to version 8.7.y (8.7.5 being the latest I know of) sendmail,
which has the undocumented (and perhaps likely to disappear) LUSER_RELAY
feature?
--

    comp.mail.sendmail FAQ Maintainer     <http://www.his.com/~brad/>

The comp.mail.sendmail FAQ is at <http://www.his.com/~brad/sendmail/>

1. Configure Sendmail to forward mail for one domain to another server

Hi all

I have a Linux server and an NT Server configured in my office (I'm using the
Linux server and another company the NT Server).  The Linux server is
configured as a gateway with a PPP connection and is working fine.

I need however to configure my Linux server to relay all mail received for a
specific domain (say acme.com.au) to the NT Server which will authenticate the
request and handle delivery from there.

So basically what I want to do is this -

Any other mail to the linux server can be rejected and bounced.  In fact I
don't even care if all mail that hits the Linux box is forwarded directly
through to the NT server (as if I had ip forwarding on port 25 from linux to
NT server)

I got a nosebleed reading the sendmail.cf file and read the FAQ and associated
documentation on www.sendmail.org.  I even compiled a mailertable and am at a
loss.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards
Jody.

2. Help!! CW Pro2 compiling lockup with OS 8.1

3. Configuring sendmail to forward some mail to UUCP

4. Telephone connection problem

5. Sendmail fail's mail when DNS fails (Not really).

6. Wanted: Battery-Backup Clock for mouse port

7. Configure UW Imap with .Mailbox and ~/Mail folders ...tried but failing

8. Flight Simulator 95 and Sidewinder 3D Pro

9. Forwarding fails in Sendmail 5.65c+IDA-1.4.4

10. how to configure sendmail on RH8.0 server to forward email to internal exchange server

11. Configuring sendmail switch to relay part of a domain, and forward select addresses

12. How to configure sendmail to forward me a copy of the email

13. How do I configure Sendmail relay/forwarding?