Filter help needed

Post by shark » Thu, 05 Mar 1998 04:00:00

I use Eudora Lite 3.0.2

I have set up a filter  with the To: header selected and Does Not Contain
for the filter and then I enter my e-mail address and tell it to transfer
to Trash.

I1m trying to trash mail with blank or bulk addresses in the To header.

What actually happens is that all mail with my address is trashed.  Of
course, I can go get it...

Is this a bug?  Any workaround?

Any help appreciated...  TIA

Shark9

Filter help needed

Post by Magn0l » Thu, 05 Mar 1998 04:00:00

> I have set up a filter  with the To: header selected and Does Not Contain
> for the filter and then I enter my e-mail address and tell it to transfer
> to Trash.

> I1m trying to trash mail with blank or bulk addresses in the To header.

> What actually happens is that all mail with my address is trashed.  Of
> course, I can go get it...

I use Eudora Pro 4, and I'm assuming your filters can work similarly. You
need to set up filters for all the mail you would expect not to have your
address listed (mailing lists, primarily) first, and make sure that the
last action applied to each one is "Skip Rest".

Then I would recommend that you check <<Any Recipient>> does not contain
[just your login]. The reason for Any Recipient is that you might get mail
that's CCd instead of addressed directly to you. The reason for just your
login instead of your entire e-mail address is that there might be several
ways to address your mail (for instance, I get mail for

OTOH, it may be that "does not contain" has problems, since I can't seem
to make it to what I want to in a test just now. You could do it the other
way, which is to say, if it DOES contain your mail address, then
<whatever> and skip rest, and then have a last action which will move the
other items to the trash.

HTH. [posted & e-mailed]
Magn0lia.

--
M a g n 0 l i a   <http://www.pedantic.com/>

Filter help needed

Post by Frank Joerg Schaek » Thu, 05 Mar 1998 04:00:00

> I use Eudora Lite 3.0.2

> I have set up a filter  with the To: header selected and Does Not Contain
> for the filter and then I enter my e-mail address and tell it to transfer
> to Trash.

> I'm trying to trash mail with blank or bulk addresses in the To header.

> What actually happens is that all mail with my address is trashed.  Of
> course, I can go get it...

> Is this a bug?  Any workaround?

> Any help appreciated...  TIA

> Shark9

Try to change the the order of filter commands.

Bye!

--

Leipzig

pgp-keys on request

Filter help needed

Post by Shark » Fri, 06 Mar 1998 04:00:00

>OTOH, it may be that "does not contain" has problems, since I can't seem
>to make it to what I want to in a test just now. You could do it the other
>way, which is to say, if it DOES contain your mail address, then
><whatever> and skip rest, and then have a last action which will move the
>other items to the trash.

Thanks for the reply.  The cc and other issues are things I hadn`t
considered, I will now, thanks to you.

I am of the opinion that Does Not Contain simply doesn`t work.  I`ve
tried it on a friend`s computer....No luck.

It is the blank To and From header spam I`m trying to filter.

I have put one in to filter blank To/From headers, I`ll see how that
works.  I know I won`t have to wait long, this appears to be the latest
iteration of spam technology....

Shark9