disable vrfy and expn option ?

Post by Rabia Q » Fri, 07 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Hi all

Can some one Please help me , how i can disable
the expn and vrfy option when i telnet to port 25 ?

Thanks A lot

i am using Sendmail 8.8.5

disable vrfy and expn option ?

Post by Michael Fu » Fri, 07 Mar 1997 04:00:00

 [cc to author]

>Can some one Please help me , how i can disable
>the expn and vrfy option when i telnet to port 25 ?
>i am using Sendmail 8.8.5

Add this to your .mc file:

    define(`confPRIVACY_FLAGS', `noexpn,novrfy')dnl

Then regenerate your .cf, install it, and give sendmail a HUP signal
or kill/restart it.  If you want maximum privacy, use this:

    define(`confPRIVACY_FLAGS', `goaway')dnl

You can find documentation for the various privacy flags in the
Installation and Operation Guide (in doc/op/).
--
Michael Fuhr
http://www.dimensional.com/~mfuhr/

Post by Jonathan L » Sun, 09 Mar 1997 04:00:00

> [cc to author]

>>Can some one Please help me , how i can disable
>>the expn and vrfy option when i telnet to port 25 ?

>>i am using Sendmail 8.8.5

>Add this to your .mc file:

>    define(`confPRIVACY_FLAGS', `noexpn,novrfy')dnl

>Then regenerate your .cf, install it, and give sendmail a HUP signal
>or kill/restart it.  If you want maximum privacy, use this:

>    define(`confPRIVACY_FLAGS', `goaway')dnl

>You can find documentation for the various privacy flags in the
>Installation and Operation Guide (in doc/op/).
>--
>Michael Fuhr
>http://www.dimensional.com/~mfuhr/

Are there any negative ramifications to turning off expn and vrfy?

--
Jonathan Loh

*** Please quote when responding.  Thanks!

1. howto vrfy/expn without vrfy/expn?

Ok, so now we've turned of EXPN/VRFY for security reasons (we run
several majordomo mailing lists).

But how do I as an admin do the equivalent operations?

I often used EXPN. I can't seem to make "sendmail -bt" do all things
EXPN did, or at least, not as easy.

Would it be possible to hack together expn.pl that runs on the local
machine and does what sendmail does?  (using sendmail -bt or whatever)

/S

2. Help! Wall objects in R2000

3. Disable VRFY & EXPN in Netscape

4. Specs on SS1+ and SS2

5. How can I disable the VRFY and EXPN commands?

6. HardDrive Advice? Looking for a Deal!

7. Disable VRFY and EXPN, antispam technique.

8. atapi CD-ROM mount

9. How disable expn & vrfy function ?

10. Disabling VRFY & EXPN on V5.65 vendor-supplied sendmail?

11. VRFY and EXPN: what are the risks of disabling?

12. Disable VRFY and EXPN?