strange mail delay problem

Post by paul y » Wed, 13 Feb 2002 05:57:01

We are running sendmail8.10.1 on Solaris 7.
And our primary MX record is pointing to the above host.
Our second MX recond  is pointing  to our ISP mailhost, which seems
not check the sender's domain is resolvable or not.

Recently some inbound emails get delayed for 3 days.
It first tried to send to our primary MX host, for some
reson which I don't know, it didn't work, then the email
sent to our seconday MX host (which is our ISP mailhosts),
and It will quesed up there for 3 day, and finally we got the email.

I checked we didn't have any sendmail or network problem
at that time when the sender tried to send us email.
The sendmail daemon and network connection are all up all
the time.

My question is:
1. Under what conditions, the email will go to next MX host?
2. How long will it try the first MX host before it goes to second
   MX host?
3. If someone send an email to us from an unresolvable domain, our mailhost
   will reject it cuase of MAIL FROM command, will it then go to next MX
   record host?
4. Any ideas about my above problem?

Thanks,

Paul

strange mail delay problem

Post by Chuck Swige » Wed, 13 Feb 2002 07:58:51

> My question is:
> 1. Under what conditions, the email will go to next MX host?

Whenever a remote server tries and cannot connect to the first MX host.

Quote:> 2. How long will it try the first MX host before it goes to second
>    MX host?

There are several different timeouts which are configurable, but in practice
the second MX host will be tried anywhere from 5 minutes to a few hours later.

Quote:> 3. If someone send an email to us from an unresolvable domain, our mailhost
>    will reject it cuase of MAIL FROM command, will it then go to next MX
>    record host?

That depends on whether your mail server produces a permanent (5xx) or
temporary failure code (4xx)-- if it produces the latter, the next MX host
will be tried.

-Chuck

       -------------+-------------------+-----------------------------------
       "The human race's favorite method for being in control of the facts
        is to ignore them."  -Celia Green

strange mail delay problem

Post by paul y » Wed, 13 Feb 2002 12:11:34

> > My question is:
> > 1. Under what conditions, the email will go to next MX host?

> Whenever a remote server tries and cannot connect to the first MX host.

> > 2. How long will it try the first MX host before it goes to second
> >    MX host?

> There are several different timeouts which are configurable, but in practice
> the second MX host will be tried anywhere from 5 minutes to a few hours later.

> > 3. If someone send an email to us from an unresolvable domain, our mailhost
> >    will reject it cuase of MAIL FROM command, will it then go to next MX
> >    record host?

> That depends on whether your mail server produces a permanent (5xx) or
> temporary failure code (4xx)-- if it produces the latter, the next MX host
> will be tried.

> -Chuck

Thanks Chunk.

But can someone help me with my last question (#4)?
Here is the question again:

Post by Chuck Swige » Thu, 14 Feb 2002 03:42:30

> But can someone help me with my last question (#4)?

Sure-- the ISP running your backup MX.  Ask them why queued up mail isn't
being delivered to your mail server...perhaps your connectivity is having
problems.

-Chuck

       -------------+-------------------+-----------------------------------

Post by paul y » Thu, 14 Feb 2002 06:48:04

> > But can someone help me with my last question (#4)?

> Sure-- the ISP running your backup MX.  Ask them why queued up mail isn't
> being delivered to your mail server...perhaps your connectivity is having
> problems.

> -Chuck

Thanks, Chunk.

I just called our ISP, there is no connectivity problem at all, which
I agree, because we didn't get any problem in the last one week.

Also they refused to change the queue time from 3 days to 1 or 2 hours:-(

Like I said, we don't have any sendmail or network problem, but recently
the knid of problem often happens. Any further idea?

Thanks,

Paul

strange mail delay problem

Post by Chuck Swige » Thu, 14 Feb 2002 07:13:30

> I just called our ISP, there is no connectivity problem at all, which
> I agree, because we didn't get any problem in the last one week.

> Also they refused to change the queue time from 3 days to 1 or 2 hours:-(

> Like I said, we don't have any sendmail or network problem, but recently
> the knid of problem often happens. Any further idea?

Umph.  Find someone else to act as your backup MX, if your ISP isn't doing a
good job.

-Chuck

       -------------+-------------------+-----------------------------------
       "The human race's favorite method for being in control of the facts
        is to ignore them."  -Celia Green

1. HELP: Friend with strange password/delays checking mail

Barring a server problem which is causig that prompt to come up again and
again:

Go into Special->Settings and scroll down to "miscellaneous".  If the
option to "use system keychain to store passwords" is checked, uncheck it.

If that doesn't work, I'd reset the settings file.  Hold down command,
shift, option, and control while selecting "Settings" from the "Special".
Eudora will ask if you really want to reset your settings.  Say yes.  then,
check the various settings to make sure what you need is there.

                -J.

2. hpljiii driver

3. Strange problem (maybe not so strange...)

4. Need Assistance

5. Mail delayed ( delay=00:21:18 )

6. Classic needs Help

7. Sendmail Recieved Mail delayed ( delay=00:21:18 )

8. ActiveSync 3.5 upgrade and AvantGo 3.3

9. Strange delay accessing IMAPD from PINE

10. Strange Sendmail Delays

11. Strange delays starting up sendmail (8.8.13)

12. Strange delays

13. Strange delay on port 25 (smtp)