How can I hide email addresses when emailing to a group?

How can I hide email addresses when emailing to a group?

Post by Michae » Sat, 13 Apr 2002 10:59:53

The other day I used outlook express and emailed a
message to a large group of friends.  One of the
recipients took it upon himself to hit "repy all" and
solicted my friends with multi-level marketing scam.  I
was livid.  How can I hide or conceal everyone's email
addresses when sending a message to group?  There has to
be a better way than sending the message to each person

Thank you.

How can I hide email addresses when emailing to a group?

Post by Touch Bas » Sat, 13 Apr 2002 11:26:40

"If you're truly concerned about privacy for anyone to whom you're
sending email, you should be using the "Bcc:" field to completely
hide any recipients information from anyone else also receiving the
mailing. You can do this for individual entries, or for your a mailing list.

You should create a "special" entry in your address book such as "My
Special Friends" or "My Valued Customers" or even "Undisclosed
Recipients, with your own address as the real address. When sending,
then simply put all the individuals to whom you're sending in the "Bcc:"
field, either individually or via a distribution list and your "special"
entry
in the "To:" field.

In order to get the "Bcc:" to show, simply click on "View", while
composing, then select "All Headers".

Be sure to check with your ISP for any limits on the number recipients
you're allowed to send to in a single mailing, and adjust the number of
recipients in the "Bcc:" field accordingly. Also be sure to let your
recipients know that you're going to begin sending them their Email
in this new manner BEFORE you implement it so that they may adjust
their anti-SPAM rules accordingly. They will no longer see THEIR name in the
"To:" field. What they will see there is the "special" entry."

another reference
http://email.about.com/library/weekly/aa101199.htm#body

--
On the other hand, you have different fingers

Touch Base

Post by j. averil » Wed, 17 Apr 2002 00:16:49

> [...]

BCC which is a blind copy It will send to your group but
say unlisted recipient or some such thing.
JA

1. Outlook Express 6.0 hiding group email addresses

Suggestions on using a mailing list in Outlook Express:
 - In the Address book select New Group, give it a name (e.g. Bob's Mailing List BCC), and then
use Select Members to add the desired contacts to the group
 - In the Address book select New Contact, give it a name (e.g. Bob's Mailing List) and enter
your own e-mail address
 - When you want to send to the list, in the TO field select the "Bob's Mailing List" entry and
in the BCC field select the "Bob's Mailing List BCC" group.  Recipients will see "Bob's Mailing
List" in the TO field (which looks better than "Undisclosed Recipients" which sounds like
spam), they will not see the name or address of any of the people in the list and you will get
a copy of the message.
(With OE5+ you have to check the option to View, All Headers in a Mail composition window in
order to see the BCC field.)

2. how to add memory to a crimson

3. Hiding Address Group addresses

4. Where is a list of error messages?

5. Way to hide names in email groups?

6. TAB-format ?

7. How to send message to group of e-mail addresses from address book?

8. Can files in folder be deleted?

9. Email Address Group Problem in Address Book

10. Using Group in address book and hiding individual names

11. Hide other addresses when sending to groups

12. Help hiding email addresses in groug mailings w/ Outlook

13. Hide recipient email address