Nikon Coolscan IV and Nikon Scan 3.5

Post by Philip Bel » Fri, 01 Jun 2001 07:44:56

Hi,

I've (very) recently bought one of these film scanners, and while I'm very
impressed with the results when it works, I seem to get a lot of problems
with the Nikon Scan 3.5 software.  I'm doing well if I can scan more than
one frame in between crashes - generally with a message "nikon scan has
caused an error in nikon scan.exe", followed by an error in "LS4000.MD3".

Is anyone else experiencing these problems? I'm running Windows ME with
512Mb, gallons of disk space and an Epson 1290 (or 1280 if you're in the
States). I haven't contacted Nikon support yet, I thought I'd see if it was
a widespread/known problem before starting to harass them!!

Thanks

Philip

Nikon Coolscan IV and Nikon Scan 3.5

Post by David Cowi » Fri, 01 Jun 2001 19:17:28

Quote:>I've (very) recently bought one of these film scanners, and while I'm very
>impressed with the results when it works, I seem to get a lot of problems
>with the Nikon Scan 3.5 software.  I'm doing well if I can scan more than
>one frame in between crashes - generally with a message "nikon scan has
>caused an error in nikon scan.exe", followed by an error in "LS4000.MD3".

I'm using the Nikon software for the Coolscan III and it regularly
crashed when trying the CleanICE feature.

seems to be crappy software, I've started using VueScan.

Claygate, Surrey, England
SA Cycling - http://sa-cycling.com
Twickenham CC - http://www.twickenhamcc.co.uk
"Never stop being a tourist"

Nikon Coolscan IV and Nikon Scan 3.5

Post by James Grov » Fri, 01 Jun 2001 22:01:48

[This followup was posted to comp.periphs.scanners and a copy was sent
to the cited author.]

Quote:> Hi,

> I've (very) recently bought one of these film scanners, and while I'm very
> impressed with the results when it works, I seem to get a lot of problems
> with the Nikon Scan 3.5 software.  I'm doing well if I can scan more than
> one frame in between crashes - generally with a message "nikon scan has
> caused an error in nikon scan.exe", followed by an error in "LS4000.MD3".

        Where did you get V3.5 i only have V3.0?

--
James Grove

http://www.jamesgrove.co.uk
http://www.mountain-photos.co.uk
ICQ 99737573

Post by James Grov » Fri, 01 Jun 2001 22:02:19

[This followup was posted to comp.periphs.scanners and a copy was sent
to the cited author.]

Quote:> >I've (very) recently bought one of these film scanners, and while I'm very
> >impressed with the results when it works, I seem to get a lot of problems
> >with the Nikon Scan 3.5 software.  I'm doing well if I can scan more than
> >one frame in between crashes - generally with a message "nikon scan has
> >caused an error in nikon scan.exe", followed by an error in "LS4000.MD3".

> I'm using the Nikon software for the Coolscan III and it regularly
> crashed when trying the CleanICE feature.

> seems to be crappy software, I've started using VueScan.

        Where did you find V3.5 of Nikon Scan i can only find V3.0?

--
James Grove

http://www.jamesgrove.co.uk
http://www.mountain-photos.co.uk
ICQ 99737573

Nikon Coolscan IV and Nikon Scan 3.5

Post by Philip Bel » Sat, 02 Jun 2001 01:59:52

Quote:> impressed with the results when it works, I seem to get a lot of problems
> with the Nikon Scan 3.5 software.  I'm doing well if I can scan more than

As someone has pointed out, that should of couse be Nikon Scan 3.0, not 3.5.
Dodgy typing!

Philip

Post by Philip Bel » Sat, 02 Jun 2001 02:02:10

software for the Coolscan III and it regularly

Quote:> crashed when trying the CleanICE feature.

> seems to be crappy software, I've started using VueScan.

How does that compare to Nikon Scan in terms of features e.g. batch scans?
And do you still get access to the ICE/ROC/GEM processing ? Even more
importantly, how much does it cost?

Thanks

Philip

Nikon Coolscan IV and Nikon Scan 3.5

Post by Serge Monte » Sat, 02 Jun 2001 05:55:15

When you have a Nikon coolscan IV with an epson 1290 on your computer, it
crashes ! Don't ask me why...

You have to define another default printer like generic text one.

Quote:> Hi,

Post by James Grov » Sat, 02 Jun 2001 17:35:42

[This followup was posted to comp.periphs.scanners and a copy was sent
to the cited author.]

Quote:> When you have a Nikon coolscan IV with an epson 1290 on your computer, it
> crashes ! Don't ask me why...

Hi,

Nikon is working on a fix for this, for V3.1 or V3.01 of Nikon Scan. I
dont know when it will be available but it is being tested at the
moment,

--
James Grove

http://www.jamesgrove.co.uk
http://www.mountain-photos.co.uk
ICQ 99737573

1. Nikon Coolscan IV: Is Nikons software needed if you use VueScan???

Hi,

It seems as if Nikons software (even the new version june 2001) cause problems
for many users.

If you only use VueScan for scanning, do you need to have the original Nikon
software installed at all?
--

Best regards

Flemming Thor Hansen
Denmark
Remove "no_spam " from the e-mail address.
http://members.tripod.com/Flemming_Hansen
Photo gallery:
http://community.webshots.com/user/flemmingthorhansen

2. LexMark Z51: 12A1970 VS 12A1975 cartridges??

3. Nikon Coolscan II LS-20 vs Nikon Coolscan II LS-20 E

4. New Area Code Change Question

5. Vuescan files smaller than Nikon Scan's from Coolscan IV ED???

6. How to use UW imapd with cygwin ?

7. How to better scan B&W with Nikon Coolscan IV-(LS-40)

8. DLL problems and query

9. Nikon Coolscan IV vs. Minolta Dimage Scan Elite II - please help!

10. Does Nikon CoolScan IV scan unmounted slides and glass mounted slides?

11. Nikon Coolscan IV and Coolscan 4000

12. Trying to decide between the Nikon 4000 vs Nikon IV

13. Nikon IV ED vs Nikon LS-2000