Using Linux with HP ScanJet 5P

Post by Atlantic Bl » Sun, 04 May 2003 05:53:03

Does the HP ScanJet 5P (scanner) work with Linux Red Hat 8.0?

The SCSI card attached to the scanner was detected by Linux Red Hat
during the booting process and was automatically configured by Red Hat
as well.  I tried to acquire a scan via GIMP [FILE >> ACQUIRE >>
XSANE: DEVICE DIALOG], but I keep getting a message stating the device
is not detected.

Also tried to get the scanner to work by using the Red Hat menu, I
went to [GRAPHICS >> SCANNING (xsane)], and received the same error
message.

The SCSI card I am using is a 'ADV 915H SCSI CONTROLLER -6200 SCANNER'
that was purchased from ConnectCom.  This particular SCSI card worked
well with HP ScanJet 5P in the Windows 2000 platform.

Please let me know if it is possible to use this particular scanner
and SCSI with Linux Red Hat.

http://www.atlanticcomm.com

Using Linux with HP ScanJet 5P

Post by Ben Mye » Sun, 04 May 2003 06:22:01

I don't have any experience with scanners using Linux, but I would feel more
comfortable about the odds of success with a different SCSI card.  The scanner
card is an Advansys?  An Adaptec 2900-series PCI SCSI card is absolutely
supported under Linux.  I have had clients trade in their Advansys PCI cards for
Adaptecs under WINDOWS... Ben Myers